• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA user fees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AOPA is probably the only reason we have the strongest GA sector in the world, but we are such an easy target because we are so rich and it always easy to take money away from rich people.

I must have missed the memo ;)

My prediction is if GW gets these user fees put in place, the cost of flying will become prohibitive for too many people. Many flight schools will go out of business and the number of new student pilot starts will drop dramatically eventually causing a pilot shortage. For those who continue to fly I think you will see a lot of VFR flights operating without flight following and safety will be diminished. I really don't see a positive spin to user fees. But what do I know - I'm just a pilot!

BTW, how is NavCanada doing these days?

Exactly right on all accounts. Why do you think it costs 600-700 an hour to rent a Seneca in England, or why so many European pilots come to the US to train? I predict a drastic increase in accidents/incidents due to a lower level of participation in the ATC system. Who the hell is gonna pay for VFR flight following on a weekend cross country? How many people are going to push bad weather VFR because they can't afford to file IFR? This is just a horrible idea on so many levels it's amazing that it's even still being considered.

This is just a horrible idea on so many levels it's amazing that it's even still being considered.
Because they need the increased accident rate to justify the total ban on general aviation they plan to enact around 2012. They need the GA ban to create the pilot shortage that will justify replacing pilots with computers in 2020.

"Bonanza 123AB, you're Visa just maxed out, squawk VFR, radar service terminated, have a good day"

Haha or better yet "Bonanza 123AB, radar contact please squawk the last 4 digits of any major credit card".

While I am against paying user fees, what I am really against is the pain in the ass it will be to pay the user fees. Do I get a bill at my house, how do they tell who was flying such and such N number, etc. Seems to me it is going to take a lot more money to collect $20 then $20.

I'll seriously consider moving to the Bahamas is this all comes to be!!

Last edited:
Haha or better yet "Bonanza 123AB, radar contact please squawk the last 4 digits of any major credit card".

While I am against paying user fees, what I am really against is the pain in the ass it will be to pay the user fees. Do I get a bill at my house, how do they tell who was flying such and such N number, etc. Seems to me it is going to take a lot more money to collect $20 then $20.

You can bet your a$$ that fees will be more than $20. Any expense incurred in collecting these fees will just be added to the fees. You get to pay to get raped.

IFR Student: "New York Approach, N1234 requesting multiple practice ILS 6 into ISP"

NYTRACON: " N1234 Squauk 4323. At $40 an approach, how many do you want?"

Let's look at GA over the past few years:

TFR's that are now "PFR's"
Terrorist Daley in Chicago destroying Miggs field (criminal action IMHO)
Now 'User Fees' about to be shoved down our throat

If this trend keeps going, you can kiss GA in the USA goodby. Our freedoms are gone.

As a former flight insturctor this sucks. But as an airline pilot this would be a dream come true. The cost would put the cost of flight training out of the hands of most new and hopeful pilots, thus continuing to decrease the amount of professional pilots around the country. What would happen next would be that the airlines would have to now compete to attract new pilots to the airlines. Thus wages go up, and QOL goes up. I never thought that I would say this, but I am pro-user fees, and I understand that it is for very selfish reasons. Just my .02

As a former flight insturctor this sucks. But as an airline pilot this would be a dream come true. The cost would put the cost of flight training out of the hands of most new and hopeful pilots, thus continuing to decrease the amount of professional pilots around the country. What would happen next would be that the airlines would have to now compete to attract new pilots to the airlines. Thus wages go up, and QOL goes up. I never thought that I would say this, but I am pro-user fees, and I understand that it is for very selfish reasons. Just my .02

Thank god the world revolves around you. Bury GA and our personal freedoms for a chance for you to advance in your career. Would you have been able to afford flight training under the proposed user fees?

What a f%^king tool. Get back to your Replacement Jet and delusions of grandeur.

Last edited:
Thank god the world revolves around you. Bury GA and our personal freedoms for a chance for you to advance in your career. Would you have been able to afford flight training under the proposed user fees?

What a f%^king tool. Get back to your Replacement Jet and delusions of grandeur.
Like I said above, it was for selfish reasons, but yes I do care about me! And yes I would have been able to afford flight training under the proposed user fees, although I agree many will not be able to, and it will pretty much be the death of GA in this country(which again I am OK with)

Latest resources

Back