• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Revokes the two NWA Pilots licenses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lots of new info, but is that really an excuse?? They didn't miss just one radio call. They missed over an hour's worth and forgot to fly the fu#king plane! While I feel bad for them and their families, they screwed up royally and put us all in a bad light....at least until the public forgets about it.

I agree that they put us in a bad light, but the NTSB didn't have to release self disclosed information before an investigation is finished.

We don't know how accurate any of the information from our trusty news media is. We should really wait until all of the info is know before we get out the ropes.

This comment makes no sense, given what they themselves have told investigators. Are you telling me that we as professional pilots should be given the kind of latitude that would result in not monitoring your progress and radios for such a long period of time?

Seriously, shouldn't they get their pepes spanked? For the good of the entire profession?

What I'm saying is that right now, we don't know what information is correct and that we should wait until the investigation is finished before we hang anyone.

Because they would be federal charges, the state in which it took place does not govern the class. The Fed has 1 code. A class A felony is a class a whether the crime took place in Alaska or Arkansas. Location makes no difference.

If it were a crime against the state, then the respective state's law would apply, and as you know, they differ from state to state.

That's right...been a while...Federal chage.....thanks.

Ultra

I agree that they put us in a bad light, but the NTSB didn't have to release self disclosed information before an investigation is finished.

We don't know how accurate any of the information from our trusty news media is. We should really wait until all of the info is know before we get out the ropes.

Sadly, we don't have to trust the info from the news media. As pilots we know how the system works. How many have ever seen or heard of an emergency revocation in a matter of days. The FAA nor the NTSB ever moves that fast. One or the other has something, enough to warrant a revocation. Others have the rope and are hanging these guys, not us.

The NTSB will hear the emergency revocation against the pilots, that is more than likely when the truth will come out if not sooner.

All this did, it made it very easy for the company to terminate them. These guys have bigger problems and I doubt we have heard it all.

What I'm saying is that right now, we don't know what information is correct and that we should wait until the investigation is finished before we hang anyone.

I do understand your point....the media can really twist the facts. I still don't see what would be a valid excuse in this case, however. The bottom line is that this could have ended up very bloody. Luckily it didn't....Whether sleeping or messing with the laptop...doesn't really matter, does it? They neglected to do their primary job up there, keeping the passengers and crew safe.

They didn't have to claim fatigue, All they had to do was claim sleep apnea just as the Mesa/GO captain did. At the most they would have lost their medicals for 6 months while they underwent treatment and they probably would have been put on medical leave from NW.

How come everyone assumes they lied?

Are you joking or what???

They had to lie. They weren't about hang themselves instantly by saying what really happened......they fell asleep. They had to try to get out of it somehow.

I don't condone what they did with their laptops, but I can understand it.

Hope I never fly on your plane.

Not only have they changed our procedures a bunch of times, with multiple, sometimes unclear revisions to the changes, but everything else has changed; Our contract (think work rules), our bidding, our vacation, our benefits, our uniforms. We have two different company id numbers, about a dozen different websites to remember with passwords for each one. It just goes on and on and I know many of us are experiencing merger fatigue.

Who cares. Live with it or quit. Argue about it or talk about it on the ground.

We should all reserve judgment until all the investigation is over and all of the information is out.

If they fell asleep....they should get completely revoked for life.

If they were on their computers and missed multiple radio calls with pissed off controllers yelling and them and trying to have other planes relay radio calls.........they should get completely revoked for life. And win the 2009 Darwin Award. AND go to prison for knowingly endangering the lives of hundreds of people.

If they were arguing about company policy for 150 miles and missed radio calls, they are 100% incompitent morons.....they should get completely revoked for life.

Anyway you slice this one.......they are useless and need to go.

Those two idiots fell asleep at the same time. They lied to try to get out of it. They are now grounded as they should be. Now they won't kill a bunch of people.

Simple.

They didn't have to claim fatigue, All they had to do was claim sleep apnea just as the Mesa/GO captain did. At the most they would have lost their medicals for 6 months while they underwent treatment and they probably would have been put on medical leave from NW.
\

Both of them claiming the same ailment at the same time on the same flight???? I don't think so. And if they do they probably didn't report that on their last medical visit, so they would get burned right there.

There is absolutely no way out of this one. And when they woke up finally because of the FA banging on the door and calling them....they couldn't even use the excuse that their radios failed, because then they should have just done the old 7600 and landed. BUT....waiting till your 150 miles past destination to do that procedure....incompetence gets you so you need to be revoked.

They lose no matter which way they and their attorneys want to play it.

Aussie, Sounds like you are a perfect pilot based off of your responses on this subject. With all of the experience you have you should be at a much higher level of a aviation career than you've reached. God help you if you ever make any mistakes because you will be crucified as you obviously believe these pilots should be.
WHOA there mister!!!! These guys didn't make a mistake, they intentionally put the lives of the passengers and their fellow crewmembers in danger because they were NOT DOING THEIR JOBS! Yes we all make mistakes as aviators. If this were a mistake, then I would be the first to say the punishment doesn't fit the crime! But I can't help thinking, what if my mother or father or wife and kids were in the back of that aircraft? How would I feel? I would be pissed and damn mad that these fools put my families lives purposely at risk. FOLKS we all make mistakes, but where the HELL is the damn accountability. These guys should have known better! Spare me the lecture about senority and all the damn protections we THINK we are entitled too. If this story is true, they were wrong. I've talked with other pilots and tried to envision on a domestic route that they have probable done many times, how you don't know you have to make at least ONE radio call. Personally, I don't believe their story. I think something else was going on. I believe the FAA and NTSB think the same. We may never know. But something smells funny about this whole thing. But that is their story and it is a pretty damn lame one if you ask me. We have to demand better of our profession if we want others to take us seriously. We are constantly BITCHING about how management has taken more from us. NO, we as PILOTS have done it to ourselves. Then we try to justify silly actions by a few! As a professional airline pilot that loves his job, this was an embarrassment!

Latest resources

Back