• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Revokes the two NWA Pilots licenses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You don't have to say a word to the FBI. "I refuse to answer this question because it may self-incriminate me."

There is never (not once) a good reason to talk to a law enforcement officer when they are after your heiney. It's not like they're going to take your excuses and say, "Oh, ok. Never mind."

Yeah, chatting it up with the FBI when they landed was not a good thing.

They did fall asleep... then lied about it. 1 1/2 hours of no communication and not once peeking at their MFD to see where they were? Because they were on a laptop? Do they take us for idiots?

Aussie it's a ND, Airbus had not foresee the use of a Multi Function just yet.
Its an old aircraft after all.
On a other note, imagine if they had lower the overhead speakers volume in order to better hear a presentation, let's call it a power point, in case someone other than a pilot would read this. I am sure you could also say,
A compact sound system can easily fit in an overnight bag, in order to enhance the presentation, A Home theater experience if you will.

If true. Interesting they thought arguing or distracted by a laptop was somehow better than admitting to sleeping.

I wonder if they had kept their mouths SHUT and spoken to ALPA legal what the outcome would have been?

The FAA doesn't answer to ALPA...ALPA answers to the FAA. If they were questioned by federal investigators and found to be lying, I doubt ALPA would have been much help. Even if they were sleeping (as opposed to watching Super Troopers on the 19" MAC screen which apparently blocked the MFD) I don't think ALPA would do much to keep the FAA at bay in this case. The FAA cited "failing to heed instructions and operating an aircraft recklessly" - that leaves little room for sleeping or heated discussions. The politics of this situation make it tough on the pilots in question, ALPA, and for that matter, all of us airline guys and gals. Good luck to both of them - they are going to need it.

If you are on the wrong end of the questions from any law enforcement your only answer should be I am not refusing to cooperate. However I will not answer any of your questions until I consult my attorney and have him/her present.

They did fall asleep... then lied about it. 1 1/2 hours of no communication and not once peeking at their MFD to see where they were? Because they were on a laptop? Do they take us for idiots?

Aussie, Sounds like you are a perfect pilot based off of your responses on this subject. With all of the experience you have you should be at a much higher level of a aviation career than you've reached. God help you if you ever make any mistakes because you will be crucified as you obviously believe these pilots should be.

How come everyone assumes they lied?

I don't condone what they did with their laptops, but I can understand it. We've been tsunamied at Delta-North with information from this merger. It's alot of work just changing the pages with all of the revisions we get, let alone trying to figure out what it all means.

Not only have they changed our procedures a bunch of times, with multiple, sometimes unclear revisions to the changes, but everything else has changed; Our contract (think work rules), our bidding, our vacation, our benefits, our uniforms. We have two different company id numbers, about a dozen different websites to remember with passwords for each one. It just goes on and on and I know many of us are experiencing merger fatigue.

It doesn't mean that they should have been trying to figure something out on their laptops when they were flying, but I understand, not only the impatience to resolve one of the many issues we are dealing with, but also the burnout that many are currently experiencing that could cause someone to miss a radio call.

We should all reserve judgment until all the investigation is over and all of the information is out.

The FAA doesn't answer to ALPA...ALPA answers to the FAA. If they were questioned by federal investigators and found to be lying, I doubt ALPA would have been much help. Even if they were sleeping (as opposed to watching Super Troopers on the 19" MAC screen which apparently blocked the MFD) I don't think ALPA would do much to keep the FAA at bay in this case. The FAA cited "failing to heed instructions and operating an aircraft recklessly" - that leaves little room for sleeping or heated discussions. The politics of this situation make it tough on the pilots in question, ALPA, and for that matter, all of us airline guys and gals. Good luck to both of them - they are going to need it.

I'm not saying ALPA has any power over the FAA. What I am saying is I suspect ALPA legal could/should have told them to shut their mouth, THEN counseled them on what to say. ie the TRUTH. Any lawyer could have advised them better than what they actually did.

These days it seems prudent that our first phone call should be to the one on the orange card, or a lawyer before we speak to ANY official.

Last edited:
How come everyone assumes they lied?

I don't condone what they did with their laptops, but I can understand it. We've been tsunamied at Delta-North with information from this merger. It's alot of work just changing the pages with all of the revisions we get, let alone trying to figure out what it all means.

Not only have they changed our procedures a bunch of times, with multiple, sometimes unclear revisions to the changes, but everything else has changed; Our contract (think work rules), our bidding, our vacation, our benefits, our uniforms. We have two different company id numbers, about a dozen different websites to remember with passwords for each one. It just goes on and on and I know many of us are experiencing merger fatigue.

It doesn't mean that they should have been trying to figure something out on their laptops when they were flying, but I understand, not only the impatience to resolve one of the many issues we are dealing with, but also the burnout that many are currently experiencing that could cause someone to miss a radio call.

We should all reserve judgment until all the investigation is over and all of the information is out.

Lots of new info, but is that really an excuse?? They didn't miss just one radio call. They missed over an hour's worth and forgot to fly the fu#king plane! While I feel bad for them and their families, they screwed up royally and put us all in a bad light....at least until the public forgets about it.

Latest resources

Back