• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA probes new close call at LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's ok, their Union will help them out. :)

My one experience with a desperate call to my lovely ALPA union when the FAA and my chief pilot were gunning for my hiney left a lot to be desired.

Wound up having to line up my own private counsel when all our ALPA lawyer would do would tell me that "it probably isn't that serious, and I have a lot more serious cases than yours." I.E. . . you're on your own.

Really made me glad about all the thousands of dollars I've dumped into their coffers, I can tell you.

You know, I realize "Mesa Sucks" and all, but I find it fascinating that this hasn't devolved into a "Skywest pilots suck" thread.

Maybe it's finally becoming clear that LAX has some real systemic problems (controllers, markings, whatever) that are leading to this crap?

Maybe it's finally becoming clear that LAX has some real systemic problems (controllers, markings, whatever) that are leading to this crap?

I never understood where people think that LAX is a dangerous airport. All parallel runways (no crossing runways). Long runways. No small planes. No private pilots (few if any).

I would much rather take my chances flying into LAX than SNA or BUR.

Not sure what is so hard about landing, clearing, and holding short.

I don't have extensive experience there myself, but I've always thought that "highspeed that's not really a highspeed" is asking for trouble.

PHX used to be in the top 5 of "most runway incursions" in the US . . . 3 E-W runways, how could it be more simple?

Rather than continue to blame pilots, however, the city ponied up for lots of runway hold short lights, green pavement, and improved taxiways and taxiway markings. Made a HUGE difference.

Need to do the same in LAX. IMHO.

Isn't that where Mesa's home is.

Coincidence, I think not.

Dave

Not sure what you mean by "Home". Corporate is there, but the vast majority of it's flying is done elsewhere (IAD, CLT, ORD, BNA, etc.)

That's still a pretty stupid thing to say though. Always the pilots fault, never a poorly designed ATC system or taxiway, eh?

Admit it . . .you really wanted to pile on the Comair guys for taking off on the wrong runway, didn't you?

My one experience with a desperate call to my lovely ALPA union when the FAA and my chief pilot were gunning for my hiney left a lot to be desired.

Wound up having to line up my own private counsel when all our ALPA lawyer would do would tell me that "it probably isn't that serious, and I have a lot more serious cases than yours." I.E. . . you're on your own.

Really made me glad about all the thousands of dollars I've dumped into their coffers, I can tell you.

First, I seriously doubt that any ALPA lawyer told you that he had a lot more serious cases than yours in the context that you state.--YI (Your Interpretation--you're on your own)

I, along with many other pilots, have had drastically different experiences with ALPA representation than what you are trying to spin. In fact, I would submit, that as far as representation in such circumstances, that ALPA attorneys are far more experienced than any outside counsel that your good money could have bought.

If you don't want to pay dues, then just say it. But don't misrepresent the quality representation that ALPA can offer in these situations. They have a track record to prove it and also plenty of support from their own engineering department to dispute flawed government investigations and establish accurate information regarding accidents/incidents.

First, I seriously doubt that any ALPA lawyer told you that he had a lot more serious cases than yours in the context that you state.--YI (Your Interpretation--you're on your own)

I, along with many other pilots, have had drastically different experiences with ALPA representation than what you are trying to spin. In fact, I would submit, that as far as representation in such circumstances, that ALPA attorneys are far more experienced than any outside counsel that your good money could have bought.

If you don't want to pay dues, then just say it. But don't misrepresent the quality representation that ALPA can offer in these situations. They have a track record to prove it and also plenty of support from their own engineering department to dispute flawed government investigations and establish accurate information regarding accidents/incidents.

You could not be more wrong. ALPA legal hung me out to dry. ALPA may have many things to offer, but based on my experience, legal representation is not one of them. This may just be a function of Mesa-ALPA, but I can only speak to what I know.

And I assure you, you get what you pay for. A private practice attorney who practices aviation law, and who is dedicated to your case will do a far, far better job than an ALPA attorney who has to priority-rank dozens of cases.

Do you honestly believe that in a political organization like ALPA that limited legal representation resources are metered out based on merit? Or do you think that as a political organization, those resources will be doled out based on influence?

A private practice attorney succeeds or fails based on his reputation, word of mouth referrals, and customer satisfaction. He can also take cases or leave them, to keep his workload manageable. An ALPA attorney is on the payroll, and when there's too much on the plate, he'll prioritize based on who has the most influence in the union.

Whatever. Glad you had a better experience than I did.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back