FAA probes new close call at LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just so everyone can sleep better.

We never made a "180 degree turn back towards the runway"....an A340's wings do not extend over the the runway edge lines (but are scary looking as they pass 30 feet from you at 100 kts)...we didn't make a "wrong turn".
The Virgin crew and tower screwwwed the pooch here.

You see...the Brazillia is the creamy white filling in ATC's Oreo cookie approaches at LAX. They lost separation then panic as we turned off the runway...controller gave conflicting turn instructions...highspeed...then left onto the reverse...then stop. That's the short version.

We never made a "180 degree turn back towards the runway"....an A340's wings do not extend over the the runway edge lines (but are scary looking as they pass 30 feet from you at 100 kts)...we didn't make a "wrong turn".

You see...the Brazillia is the creamy white filling in ATC's Oreo cookie approaches at LAX. They lost separation then panic as we turned off the runway...controller gave conflicting turn instructions...highspeed...then left onto the reverse...then stop. That's the short version.

Interesting to hear the other version.

I guess this you then? Glad to hear that is how it down. Sounds like you guys are safe.

I guess this you then? Glad to hear that is how it down. Sounds like you guys are safe.

I'm gonna go ahead and say this was NOT him, as I would assume that if you can fly the effing airplane then you probably should be able to spell the name of the airplane you're flying. Of course, maybe I'm overestimating the capabilities of my fellow workers. After all, they did vote in that gay, I mean pay, package.

Are you questioning the journalistic integrity of USAToday (a.k.a. "Mc Paper")? How can you even suggest that a newspaper might not get all the facts right on an aviation story?

(heh. Actually, I've been on the wrong end of some lame reporter myself . . . their stupidity is only surpassed by their arrogance)

I'm gonna go ahead and say this was NOT him, as I would assume that if you can fly the effing airplane then you probably should be able to spell the name of the airplane you're flying. Of course, maybe I'm overestimating the capabilities of my fellow workers. After all, they did vote in that gay, I mean pay, package.

I know the aforementioned skipper and he definitely couldn't spell "Brasilia". However, he is one damn good Brasilia Pilot. ATC screwed the pooch, plain and simple.

Shim, Shim!!

I never understood where people think that LAX is a dangerous airport. All parallel runways (no crossing runways). Long runways. No small planes. No private pilots (few if any).

I would much rather take my chances flying into LAX than SNA or BUR.

Not sure what is so hard about landing, clearing, and holding short.

Well it's because of this kind of stuff. LAX is either 1 or 2 (ORD is either 2 or 1 I can't remember) in runway incursions every year. Vague clearances, airlines that don't speak English, blind spots from the tower. You'd think that tightening stuff up at LAX would be a priority after the 1991 accident with USAir and SkyWest. They only recently redid the South complex (the parallel taxiway isn't done yet).

SkyWest has been involved in three incidents in the past 8-10 months, 2 of which were because of airplanes landing and not holding short of the parallel runway. Quick action on the part of SkyWest crews averted disaster both times. I'll wait until the final verdict comes out before I play armchair quarterback about who's fault this was. I recommend the rest of you do the same.

Sorry for the extra "l". Ii cann indeeed flyy itt andd spelll itt tooo.. and the A340's wings do extend over the edge lines of 24R...my mistake. Did the USA Today pick up the story too? I saw it in LA Times and and Chicago Sun Times. Crazy. I don't have much time to check in here and debate all of you full time genius'. I'm just a lowly part-time genius. Nothing new in the investigation as far as I am aware.

My advice to y'all...if you are cleared to land...the runway is yours...and if tower is barking at you to do this or do that to fix his fowl up...too bad...you get off the runway how and where you feel it is safe to do so. I still can't believe Virgin didn't go around....and new info from the tapes...final controller was yelling at Virgin to go around...they landed anyway.

Peace W

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back