• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F18 Down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The news stated that he lost both engines? In that case it would have been hard for that Marine to pull a "Great Santini".

Last edited:
read on newspaper today,

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200812/200812100029.html

those who got killed in this tragic accident.

a korean house wife(36) two of her daughters(Grace 15month old)&(Rachel 2mo.old)
and her mother visit from Korea to give her daughter postpartum care...

on interview with korean news paper, he told reporter
that "please pray for my family and pilot who try
(did his best) avoid this tragic accident." " I am not mad at him, he was doing his job serving our country"

deepest codolences to remain family.. husband who was at work when it happened.
they just moved in 1 month ago. dream home..

sad day for all of us

Last edited:
I was just going to post a link to that also.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/09/military.jet.crash/index.html

"
"He is one of our treasures for the country," Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.
"I don't blame him. I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could," said Yoon, flanked by members of San Diego's Korean community, relatives and members from the family's church."

I was just going to post a link to that also.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/09/military.jet.crash/index.html

"
"He is one of our treasures for the country," Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.
"I don't blame him. I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could," said Yoon, flanked by members of San Diego's Korean community, relatives and members from the family's church."

Wow...we could all learn a lot from this man.

But according to Sig...he deserved it. He moved near a military airport and it cost him two infant daughters, his wife, and his mother. Sig's concern is the pilot may not sleep at night.

Wow...we could all learn a lot from this man.

But according to Sig...he deserved it. He moved near a military airport and it cost him two infant daughters, his wife, and his mother. Sig's concern is the pilot may not sleep at night.

My post was in direct response to your heartless post of "having a pilotless F-18 hit your house" and the rheotic that's sure to follow from the nay sayers. My other point is something like this was destined to happen. If I had to guess however I would have put my money on NAS Oceana. When you purchase a home in a location like that, you have to sign paperwork acknowleding the risk. Much to the protest of the Navy and KNTU, they built a huge mall right under the 180 (and associated houses). I hope it never does, but it's bound to happen again. The same thing is happening at LeMoore right now as well. The Navy built a huge base in the middle of nowhere, and there are developers trying to encroach because of the cheap property. The all mighty dollar prevails.

Don't even pretend to know what I'm thinking when a brother of mine has to go through something like this. I cannot even fathom the grief being felt by either the Widower or the Pilot. If I ever had to endure what he's going through, I don't know that I'd ever be able to strap myself in a Hornet again, or even live with the memory. He'll have to live with this forever, as will Mr. Yoon. It's a horrific and tragic set of circumstances.

Last edited:
My post was far from "heartless" but quite honestly on point. The F-18 had no pilot..true or not?

As to being destined to happen. Statistics do not support that...at all. There are plenty of homes right next to bases that have NOT had a plane drop on. I live near one right now and cannot think of a single time a plane has crashed into a house. I can think of plenty of crashes that have been AWAY from base that HAVE found their way into homes. It is not like homes near a military base are plane magnets...are they at higher risk..sure.

I cannot imagine what the Hornet driver is feeling or how he will feel in the future but I cannot imagine it is more difficult than what the man feels about losing his family in a matter of seconds. I am sure that Hornet guy will get some counseling and all that goes along with not bringing a jet back. I am sure he will find the courage to strap another jet back on. What I would be concerned about would be the choices he makes if he were to find himself in a similar position again. I am sure Mr. Yoon will get some counseling too but that will not make him or his family whole again.

I would hope someday that the pilot of that F-18 visits Mr. Yoon and they sit down for a talk. I think both men will be much better off for it. It will help the pilot find some peace and it will give Mr. Yoon an opportunity to demonstrate his amazing compassion and heart to this young pilot and assure him that he does not hold him responsible. That will go along way towards healing.

It seems that this thread was dismissing Mr. Yoons grief and I have a serious problem with that. As a military aviator, I have lost friends and I still feel that loss. I know of some who have unintentially caused loss of life...they live with that still to this day but most will openly say it is miniscule compared to the loss of a loved one...never to come home.

Latest resources

Back