F18 Down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is your aviation background?

I would be willing to be that next time that young Marine finds himself in a jet that is not working right, this incident will pop up in his head...if ever so briefly. I am not questioning whether he did the right thing or not but flying skills and judgment is based on past experience and training. This experience will most likely effect his judgment IF he finds himself in a similar situation. Statistics and studies prove it. The man is human and has suffered a traumatic event and one that he will remember for the rest of his life. It WILL be there when and if. This is in no way an indictment on his abilities as a pilot, Marine, or a human being. He is not super human...this will stick with him. I am sure he will have the mental and emotional fortitude to strap a jet back on and be a wonderful asset to the community.

The same factors effect ground forces to include the most elite of special operations forces. It is the sum of their experiences both good and bad that help guide their actions when bullets start flying.

Let me suggest a good book called "On Combat" by Dave Grossman. http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Psychology-Physiology-Deadly-Conflict/dp/0964920514

There are no pictures in it...just so you know.

Every experience you have flying should affect future behavior or else you are not learning from your experience. We don't know how this played out, so speculation as to how it would/should affect him is a futile effort at best.

I fly the same jets that crashed. Until a few months ago, I was in instructor for a squadron exactly like the one of which he belonged. I have investigated crashes like this. I have combat experience. We don't know anything about what happened here. Those of us that have the right access will know in approximately 30 days. Beyond that, it'll be whatever they tell the media.

F-14 crash after take off from KBNA, 3 on the ground killed.

This was serious pilot error. The pilots family was at the airport and he was showing off.

In other words it was negligence and a doesn't help the arguement of houses should not be near airports.

Pilot error is normally to blame in about 80% of all accidents.

Whatever. Heavy tanker going to the ship. Pilot thought it would be sh!t hot and to do a low transition and then wrapped it up very low, high g, high AOB turn. Departed (stalled) and they ejected low and inverted and never even got seat-man sep. when they hit the ground. Jet then hit the lady driving down the road and killed her too. Just like the BNA F-14, 100% pilot error and 100% avoidable. Pretty sad.

This was serious pilot error. The pilots family was at the airport and he was showing off.

In other words it was negligence and a doesn't help the arguement of houses should not be near airports.

not to mention it was the second tom kitty that individual had donated back to the tax payer. .

Awww, the local townhall meetings here are nuts.
Marines spokesperson...These jets can safely fly on one engine....Homeowner, apparently NOT! Without details, that some serious stuff went wrong.
Another person...How come they didn't divert him to another airport away from homes. No thought process at all. They need some aviation reps or something.
Last but not least! My children cry every time they say a plane overhead now. Possible and sad if true.

Prayers go to the pilot and those who lost family members. Any guesses why the pilot didn't divert to North Island as opposed to Miramar? Only thing I can think is that he may have been closer to Miramar than North Island when he lost his first engine...

He could have just as easily taken out a house on Coranado or even the Del itself going into NZY.

The bottom line is, the F-18 is a freaking multi-engine airplane. If a 737 enroute to LAX loses an engine, we don't divert the bloody thing to Mojave or Edwards AFB, so a decision to return the aircraft to its home field after losing one of 2 engines over the ocean doesn't seem like a horrible violation of ORM. Good grief, how on earth did we ever survive before the hornet when we were flying A-4s and A-7s?

Last edited:
The difference is that an F-18's engines are adjacent to each other and an uncontained failure will probably damage the other engine while this failure mode is unlikely in a 737.

We will have to wait for the investigation results. I just hope it is not something stupid like fuel exhaustion.

The difference is that an F-18's engines are adjacent to each other and an uncontained failure will probably damage the other engine while this failure mode is unlikely in a 737.

We will have to wait for the investigation results. I just hope it is not something stupid like fuel exhaustion.

Dude, shut up and stop speculating. You know nothing of the Hornet, it's systems, internal structure, etc.

30 days from the accident the SIR will be released, until then everything else is the opinions of the uneducated.

Latest resources

Back