• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expressjet concessionary LOA/TA out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everything is either maybe or maybe not.

With the new contract with CO ...how many jets will XJT have in year 2 and then in year 3?

So your at 200 and some change now ori n a few months and XJT is on its way to 100 to 120 in a few years... why take concessions?

when will the distruction of our profession end?

Its time to make a stand!

They are going to shrink XJT anyway

Nevets, I believe you're a member of the MEC. How did you vote on this TA?

My advice to the XJT pilots? Tell management to f--- off and solve their problems some other way. You aren't their ATM. They signed a CPA that they knew couldn't be sustainable, so they need to fix their cost issues without draining the labor groups. Stand tall and don't cave in.

If you add up all the wages for say an hour flight....On a 50 seat airplane it works out to about $2.50/person to pay for the crew and f/a.
Now take a 5% cut off that. What do you have? Absolutly nothing. Now each person pays about $2.35 for the crew.
Give me a break. The 5% is nothing but a symbol for management that they can break the union and its members.
Now on each leg if the crews keep the APU running for 3 minutes longer they have saved nothing at all. Labor cost is nothing with Oil at $100.

Did the XJT pilots tell CAL to shove their RFP and take a large number of aircraft into a branded flying black hole? NO

Did the XJT pilots sign a pro-rate deal with Delta to "get their foot in the door" that would not make a profit? NO

Did the XJT pilots reject an offer from SkyWest that with the recent reverse split comes out to be $35.00 per share? NO (1. I believe that XJT management did not want to be fired for incompetence. 2. I also believe that the pilots would have voted any scope deal with SkyWest down.)

Did the XJT pilots sign a seven-year, knee jerk, CONCESSIONARY deal with CAL that would not make a profit at current cost levels? NO

The XJT pilot's problem is not a 5% concession. The problem is a management team that has failed for at least 5 years. They will drive your company into the ground whether or not concessions are signed because they have never had to operate their airline like ALL of their competition. At $1.65 per share, XJT pilots should take their 5%, buy the cheap stock and force a member of the pilot group onto the board to start the firing procedures of your ignorant CEO.

More exciting than being at the bottom of the scale. Look, it seems as though you are reveling in the possible concession of a great contract. Everyone at the regional level should look with their eyes wide open on what transpired to lead to this. If this is what you mean by trash talking, I apologize but I'm just calling 'em like I see 'em.;)

Again, ALPA national had NOTHING to do with approving anything dealing with this LOA.

Are ExpressJet's pilot wages/work rules/etc., that far out of whack with the rest of the regional industry? Just glancing on airline pilot central, the hourly rates don't seem that much different than ASA, for example. Correct me if I'm wrong as I only know as much about the regional industry as flightinfo teaches me :)

Man couple years ago XJET was upgrading at 2yrs, had the best work rules, and Jim Ream was looked upon as a saint. Everybody who were hired at XJET last summer during the hiring spree thought they were well on their way to major with a quality regional. How times have changed. Best of luck XJETters

With the new contract with CO ...how many jets will XJT have in year 2 and then in year 3?

So your at 200 and some change now ori n a few months and XJT is on its way to 100 to 120 in a few years... why take concessions?

when will the distruction of our profession end?

Its time to make a stand!

They are going to shrink XJT anyway

CAL can pull another 15 aircraft next June. Then its at least 190 aircraft to the end of the CPA. There are some other details as well.

Why take concessions? Only one reason to take concessions - to try to avoid BK.

The destruction of the industry will end when we have a national seniority list.

The shrinkage/expansion of XJT is not solely reliant on CAL.

Nevets, I believe you're a member of the MEC. How did you vote on this TA?

My advice to the XJT pilots? Tell management to f--- off and solve their problems some other way. You aren't their ATM. They signed a CPA that they knew couldn't be sustainable, so they need to fix their cost issues without draining the labor groups. Stand tall and don't cave in.

I was a member of the MEC until a couple of days ago when my base officially closed. Therefore I did not have a vote.

The CPA was signed under duress. It was either signed on the dotted line (savings on the magnitude...) or lose all CAL flying with the wind down starting in 365 days.

If you add up all the wages for say an hour flight....On a 50 seat airplane it works out to about $2.50/person to pay for the crew and f/a.
Now take a 5% cut off that. What do you have? Absolutly nothing. Now each person pays about $2.35 for the crew.
Give me a break. The 5% is nothing but a symbol for management that they can break the union and its members.
Now on each leg if the crews keep the APU running for 3 minutes longer they have saved nothing at all. Labor cost is nothing with Oil at $100.

The problem is that XJT has no revenue management function on its CAL flights. CAL controls the loads and yields and they pay XJT a fixed cost per block hour. It doesnt matter if the plane has 50 passengers or one passenger or if the passengers pay $50 or $500. XJT gets paid the same either way. CAL pays 100% of fuel. XJT pays only for wages, some maintenance, and overhead.

Are ExpressJet's pilot wages/work rules/etc., that far out of whack with the rest of the regional industry? Just glancing on airline pilot central, the hourly rates don't seem that much different than ASA, for example. Correct me if I'm wrong as I only know as much about the regional industry as flightinfo teaches me :)

Yeah, the pay rates are good but there are other things as well. For example, XJT pilots get decent 401k matching AND a retirement contribution on top of that. As a first year FO, this adds 6.5% to your pay. Also, there is a lot of soft time built into the contract, probably because of the vacation rules. Here is a post from APC explains some of the other work rules.

Current Payscales:
http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airli...xpressjet.html
All captains will be on the ERJ-145 payscale starting October 1, 2008.

Contract amendable 11/30/2010
Rates increase by 3% per year each 12/1/xx

Planned furloughs:
October 1, 2008: 314

Line Holder guarantee: 75 hours
Reserve guarantee: 75 hours
Charter guarantee: 90 hours
Instructor guarantee: 90 hours

Ground Instructor pays: applicable longevity rate plus $12/hour override.
Aircraft/Simulator Instructor pays: applicable longevity rate plus $15/hour override.
Check Airman pays: applicable longevity rate plus $18/hour override.
Aircrew Program Designee pays: applicable longevity rate plus $21/hour override.
Minimum 5 hours per training event at override rate.
Charter pays: applicable longevity rate plus $18/hour override.
Minimum 5.5 hours per day at override rate.

Per Diem Rate: $1.70
Increases by $0.05 yearly on 12/1

SCHEDULING:
Line Holder: Min 12 days off per month
Reserve: Min 11 days off per 30 day bid period; Min 12 days off per 31 day bid period
Charter: Min 14 days off per month
Instructor: Min 12 days off per month
40 hour MMG lines - voluntary
Built between 37-43 hours
Minimum of 18 days off per month
Can trip trade but cannot pick up on days off
Can pick up Advertised trips

No PBS - Pilot Committee builds trips and lines.
Scheduled or rescheduled duty day will not exceed 13.5 hours or
11.5 hours for duty that begins between 2101LT to 0429LT (except for stand up trips).
Stand up trips not scheduled to exceed 14 hours, no layovers of less than 6 hours, and a maximum of 3 segments preceding the layover, and a maximum of 1 segment following the layover. These trips will not be built into lines; they will only be put in open time.
Maximum of six legs per duty day.
Regular lines will not average more than 88 block hours and no lines are built with more than 95 hours.
At least 2 days free from all duty will be scheduled between trips that operate between 0100 LT and 0400 LT and trips that do not operate between this period.
Trips will only be constructed with one to four day trips.
Lines will be constructed to provide at least 2 days off at the pilot’s domicile during any 7 consecutive day period.
A trip that operates between 0100 LT and 0400 LT will be constructed with no more than 2 segments.
Personal Drop with adequate coverage or crew scheduling consent.
Bad Day Worse Day Trades for lineholders and reserve pilots.
Short Call Reserve - 2 hour callout.
Long Call Reserve - 12 hour callout.
Aggressive Pick Up Window for reserve pilots.
Floating Reserve Lines - 2 extra days off.
The largest block of days off for reserve pilots are immovable.
Junior Manning is at 150% of the greater of:
-3.75 Hours per duty period
-Trip pay as calculated
RED FLAG Open time can be picked up by lineholders at JM pay (150%).
Commuter Clause: must have two flights with one seat available (can include the jumpseat) 24 hours before departure that arrives at least 30 minutes prior to show time.
No fault fatigue policy
Charter pilots are home based

Compensation:
Paid the greater of:
• Scheduled block time
• Actual block time flown by segment
• Min daily guarantee of 2.0 hours
• 3.0 hours or calender day layover
100% cancellation pay
100% deadhead pay

New Hires:• Double Occupancy Hotel
• Uniforms are Payroll Deduct
• Jepps Supplied
• Per Diem during training $1500 (+/-)
• Once PC is complete, you begin receiving MMG (minimum monthly guarantee)
• Positive space travel provided to and from training and Home of record

Other pay Credits
• Drug Alcohol testing (30 minutes pay)
• CBT / Home study (1 hour pay for 2 hour study)
• Profit Sharing
• Customs at hubs (10 minutes pay)
• Ground repositioning (12 minutes for domestic airport except EWR, 24 minutes for EWR, 30 minutes for arrival from international destination)
• 150% pay for voluntarily training on day off
• 150% pay for trips picked up when reserve coverage is less than 10%

Vacation Accrual Rate
• Year 1: 7 days (7/12 days per month)
• Year 2-6: 14 days (14/12 days per month)
• Year 7-10: 21 days (21/12 days per month)
• Year 11+: 28 days (28/12 days per month)
Pay is 3.75 hours per day.
Paid the greater of monthly guarantee or line value. May pick up trips during vacation days or days off as add pay.
Instructors receive two additional personal days and holidays off with pay.

Sick Time Accrual Rate
5 hours per month starting from the month of groundschool

Perfect Attendance Program
Two separate six month periods

Elegibility for FMLA
Yes - entitlement codified into contract

Emergency Leave
Up to 3 days with no reduction of monthly guarantee

Bereavement Leave
Four consecutive days with no reduction of monthly guarantee

Education Leave
A pilot may be granted an educational leave for a period not to exceed 1 year. At the end of the leave, he may apply for
additional educational leave.

Personal Leave
A personal leave of absence may be requested by a pilot

Adoption Assistance Program
Reimbursement for eligible adoption expenses

Scholarship Program
Assist employees, their children, or spouses who plan to continue education in college or vocational school programs. Scholarships are offered each year for study at an accredited institution of the student’s choice. Up to 15 awards for $1,500 dollars will be granted each year.

W.I.N.G.S. Program
When In Need Get Support – An employee-funded program for co-workers overcome by personal tragedies, natural disasters, or other situations creating a dire financial need.

Uniforms:
$150/year uniform allowance

Benefits:
Various health plans – (starts 1st day of 3rd month of employment)
Available plans depend on location and level of coverage ($15-240/mo depending on # covered and deductible)
Prescription Drug Plan included in the medical plans
Dental (starts 1st day of 3rd month of employment) $18-98/mo depending on HMO/PPO and # covered
Vision $9.78-24.31/mo depending on # covered
Flexible Spending Accounts - Health Care and Dependent Care
Short-term Disability
Long-term Disability- 55% of 85.5 hours at your applicable longevity rate
Life Insurance - equal to one year of your annual base pay paid by the company. Includes a terminal illness benefit.
Supplemental Life Insurance
Spouse Life Insurance
Child Life Insurance
Personal Accident Insurance - Provides a benefit if you die or suffer certain injuries as a result of a covered accident. Coverage available for you and your family.coverage between $50k - $500k
Business Accident Insurance - Provides benefits if you are injured while traveling on company business; $200,000 paid by the company

Employee Assistance Plan (free)
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is designed to help you and your family deal with personal difficulties. The EAP is a professional, confidential counseling service. The EAP will determine whether they will manage your care directly or if you will be referred to a provider in your area. Your consultations will be kept confidential.

401k Matching
1-5 yrs service 100% up to 4%
5-9 yrs service 100% up to 5%
10+ yrs service 100% up to 6%

Defined Contribution Plan
- Contractual
<5 years 2.5%
5-10 years 4%
10-15 years 5%
15-20 years 5.5%
>20 years 6%

Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Active employees can purchase XJT stock through payroll deductions at a 15% discount

Other Stuff:
Participates in ASAP and FOQA
Bidding can be done via online system. Bid via default (line number order), or assign values to re-order the lines for yourself. You can pick how you want them ordered based on line value, types of trips (1day / 2day), days off, etc.
Automated trip trades, trip advertisements, and picking up of dropped trips of other crew members and open time via crew web site.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back