• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Engine Fire Joining LOC on Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get it on the ground- should be the primary concern. Land flaps 20. CRJ-200 WILL NOT FLY single engine, flaps 45. Quick math- double landing distance and consult Vref flaps 20 on the card you have for your weight. Run the card if you can- stop there.

Since when were you single engine? This is an engine fire, and until the Eng. Fire switchlight is pushed, you are most likely producing thrust. By the time the QRH is run, you might be on a 1 mile final.

So the approach should have been briefed before the LOC is intercepted. Are you going to rebrief, or, from your systems knowledge and Captain's authority, modify the approach to the current needs. Flaps 20 or Flaps 45?

Just want to be clear that an engine fire does NOT mean single engine thrust, and non-book (that pilot stuff) decisions will need to be made within the very short amount of time you have left before landing.

Wow, it's amazing how many of you guys took this so seriously. A few of you answered this as if it counts on your next recurrent ride. Have a little humor in life, it might loosen up the poles stuck up your *******

Since when were you single engine? This is an engine fire, and until the Eng. Fire switchlight is pushed, you are most likely producing thrust. By the time the QRH is run, you might be on a 1 mile final.

So the approach should have been briefed before the LOC is intercepted. Are you going to rebrief, or, from your systems knowledge and Captain's authority, modify the approach to the current needs. Flaps 20 or Flaps 45?

Just want to be clear that an engine fire does NOT mean single engine thrust, and non-book (that pilot stuff) decisions will need to be made within the very short amount of time you have left before landing.

The approach would be single engine as soon as the IAI items are run. Unless you decide to not shut the engine down and continue the approach from outside the marker with an engine burning

Wow, it's amazing how many of you guys took this so seriously. A few of you answered this as if it counts on your next recurrent ride. Have a little humor in life, it might loosen up the poles stuck up your *******

Actually this is one of the eight possible AQP scenarios you could get.

Do the emergency card which typiclly involves shutting fuel etc, if the fire goes out you circle back and complete checklists and land. If the fire does not go out you land at the SE flap setting.

No, just land. Even if the fire indication goes away, don't go around and do a SE checklist.....that's just dumb. If you're joining the LOC course, almost all of the critical items are finished anyway. Be an aviator, put the gear down and land the damn thing.

Last edited:
Now this is the FI I remember from the days of yore!

This exact scenario (simulated) happened to me on my 15% ride as a new hire way back when. One guy flies and does the radio, the other guy fights the fire. Land and deal with it from there. The examiner was satisfied with that.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

1. Continue the approach. Remain stable. Fly the airplane.
2. Execute "Recall/Memory Items." I would not chose to continue flying the approach with an engine on fire and unsecured. Complete the checklist, if there's time. The only thing relevant in the time allowed is SE approach speeds. If you forget, add 15 or 20 knots. That usually works. Don't load up the NFP. Fly the airplane.
3. Declare an emergency, but don't have a conversation with ATC about it. Communicate with the FA's if there's time. Again, fly the airplane.
4. Continue aviating if you're stable. If the fire's not out and you're not stable and can't get stable at 1000', you're an idiot. If you're IMC at this point, you'd probably better let the other guy fly. Somebody fly the airplane!
5. Complete the most relevant check list once you're on the ground. Might be the "Evac Check" at this point. You can most likely skip the "Engine Fire/Severe Damage Check" if you need to evac. No reason for it as those items are on the Evac check. If you don't need to evac, then the choices are obvious.

Don't be in a hurry.

If the engine is still producing thrust, shoot Max Q with your FFDO sidearm and ignore the the fire until you are on the ground. It can burn safely out there for a half an hour or more. Deal with it on the ground.

If it's not producing thrust, shoot Max Q with your FFDO sidearm, complete the Memory items and land flaps 20. The speed on the flipcard for flaps 20 is right there where it always is, no need to hunt through the QRH. Once you are on the ground deal with it.

In all cases shoot Max Q.

I can't believe that I agree with a post by WAKA.:erm:

Grow a pair - then decide if you want to cover your @$$ or save your @$$.

For me: outside the FAF, declare emergency, run QRH. Inside the FAF - declare emergency, land.

Either way, there'll be no shortage of DSs who'll swear you did it wrong.
at any time this happens; inside, over, or outside, Declare an Emergency and tell them what you are going to do. When you declare an emergency, you have relief from all the regs to address the emergency.

Now this is the FI I remember from the days of yore!

This exact scenario (simulated) happened to me on my 15% ride as a new hire way back when. One guy flies and does the radio, the other guy fights the fire. Land and deal with it from there. The examiner was satisfied with that.
My instructor gave me this plus lost comm during my DC-9 sim training. I just landed he was happy.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back