• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Engine Fire Joining LOC on Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just say it was on fire, you don't have to use metaphorical analogies like "burning like a match stick". We get the idea.... Oh, and you can't say that you asked kindly if you use the term "GTFONG". Just say what you have to say and quit acting like some hero. Your assertiveness would have gone long way by just saying: "This thing is on fire, holding does not sound like a good idea, we should land quick, WHAT DO YOU THINK??" This way you make the Captain think along your lines, instead of having him/her guess and wonder why you are acting like you're in charge which in itself is very distractive. You actually contributed to making the situation worse by using bad CRM. The only way your position would've been justified is if the CAPT. was incapacitated. Know your position as an FO, and use CRM and not Hill Billy talk to resolve the situation.

So use less language next time? Or don't use any language?

Just say it was on fire, you don't have to use metaphorical analogies like "burning like a match stick". We get the idea.... Oh, and you can't say that you asked kindly if you use the term "GTFONG". Just say what you have to say and quit acting like some hero. Your assertiveness would have gone long way by just saying: "This thing is on fire, holding does not sound like a good idea, we should land quick, WHAT DO YOU THINK??" This way you make the Captain think along your lines, instead of having him/her guess and wonder why you are acting like you're in charge which in itself is very distractive. You actually contributed to making the situation worse by using bad CRM. The only way your position would've been justified is if the CAPT. was incapacitated. Know your position as an FO, and use CRM and not Hill Billy talk to resolve the situation.

I was thinking the exact same thing!! To many "Top Gun" wannabes out there. :beer:

Me: There are guys out there that want to hold with the plane on fire. (Completely relevant to the OP)

Flightinfo: You moron! Engine's have fire bottles and procedures to use them!

IBNAV8R: Do you think I would've bothered to share if it weren't a case where the IAI/QRH didn't extinguish the fire? What is that too unbelievable for you that a CA would actually continue to a holding fix with a fire warning message and empty bottles?

Wait, so you guys blew both bottles and the engine was still on fire? If this was the case and the Captain wanted to do a go around/hold etc, then you were right to take over. Unless you guys were on a very unstable approach and a safe landing was doubtful

The vast majority of responses on this thread are obviously from idiots. If the airplane is on fire and the Captain inexplicably continues to fly it in any other direction than to the nearest suitable airport, I want my FO to take over.

As is common in this industry, there is a lilliputian phallic complex being demonstrated by individuals who have achieved nothing more than having the seniority to hold four stripes.

Get over yourselves.

Latest resources

Back