• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Engine Fire Joining LOC on Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Run the Immediate Action Checklist and land......deal with it on the ground!

In any emergency your goal is to minimize risk to the aircraft, crew, and occupants. Your goal is NOT to complete the emergency checklist. Being so close to relative safety (which is the ground in this example) it would be irresponsible to go around just to complete the expanded checklist. Do the emergency action items, stay in control of the aircraft and put it on the ground.

The risks are greatly diminished once the airplane is no longer flying

I can only imagine what would be on the CVR during an unanticipated single engine go around while on fire. Personally, I'm happy if the stick shaker doesn't go off on a two engine go around.

Quietly taxi to gate and leave aircraft. ALA Delta after landing on taxiway. If quierried by atc about smoke, say It's a mirage. Nothing to see here folks

So you wouldn't land immediately if the fire happened outside the FAF or are you just saying you would run the QRH and land immediately outside the FAF?

As stupid as you all think the OP's question is, I've had to commandeer the airplane during two separate lofts now with smoke/fire (or possible fire) on board after the CA wanted to hold or execute a missed approach. Maybe that was with a couple of you on here. :rolleyes:

The OP scenario was an engine fire - you know that thing that actually has a system to put out a fire and a procedure to do so? Or, are we talking something else? Using your head is good. Stepping on your d**k can be disastrous.

You "commandeered"?? Was capt. incapacitation part of the scenario??? If not - you still have a job???? What company was this? Is there something I'm not understanding here?

Speak up? Absolutely!!
Be assertive? That's also part of your job!!
But, unless the the PIC is incapacitated, he/she is ALWAYS the PIC.

The OP scenario was an engine fire - you know that thing that actually has a system to put out a fire and a procedure to do so? Or, are we talking something else? Using your head is good. Stepping on your d**k can be disastrous.

You "commandeered"?? Was capt. incapacitation part of the scenario??? If not - you still have a job???? What company was this? Is there something I'm not understanding here?

Speak up? Absolutely!!

I've made my point. There are CA's out there that appear to have no qualms with holding in a pattern with the airplane burning like a match stick even after being KINDLY ASKED by their FO to GTFONG.

What company was this? What are you, nuts? This is flightf(beep)ckinginfo.com. I'm making it all up.

Speak up? Absolutely!!

Exactly, well said!

I've made my point. There are CA's out there that appear to have no qualms with holding in a pattern with the airplane burning like a match stick even after being KINDLY ASKED by their FO to GTFONG.

What company was this? What are you, nuts? This is flightf(beep)ckinginfo.com. I'm making it all up.

Just say it was on fire, you don't have to use metaphorical analogies like "burning like a match stick". We get the idea.... Oh, and you can't say that you asked kindly if you use the term "GTFONG". Just say what you have to say and quit acting like some hero. Your assertiveness would have gone long way by just saying: "This thing is on fire, holding does not sound like a good idea, we should land quick, WHAT DO YOU THINK??" This way you make the Captain think along your lines, instead of having him/her guess and wonder why you are acting like you're in charge which in itself is very distractive. You actually contributed to making the situation worse by using bad CRM. The only way your position would've been justified is if the CAPT. was incapacitated. Know your position as an FO, and use CRM and not Hill Billy talk to resolve the situation.

Last edited:
Me: There are guys out there that want to hold with the plane on fire. (Completely relevant to the OP)

Flightinfo: You moron! Engine's have fire bottles and procedures to use them!

IBNAV8R: Do you think I would've bothered to share if it weren't a case where the IAI/QRH didn't extinguish the fire? What is that too unbelievable for you that a CA would actually continue to a holding fix with a fire warning message and empty bottles?

Latest resources

Back