• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

End is near.... Gojet gets 1st CRJ.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unions are the downfall of this country. You have the right to your opinion, and only that, but I believe from what i've seen that in the end they do more bad than good. But that's what many of us pilots have to work with now, and there is NO going back.
Enjoy the sh*t sandwich as you swallow. :)

Juan Trippe said:
... but I believe from what i've seen that in the end they do more bad than good.
Well, if you're intention is airline management then your opinion makes perfect sense. You're obviously not an airline pilot with at least ten years in the industry. Call it a necessary evil if you wish, but pilots need a union. I'm actually an ALPA member again -- that's how necessary I think it is.

TWA Dude said:
We weren't a Single Carrier yet and they still represented us. The odds were irrelevant.
I disagree. ALPA has a fiduciary responsibility to ALL it's individual MEC's to make decisions such as this. If the odds were 1 in 1,000 or worse (which it seems to me they were), they bore a responsibility to their OTHER members to cut their losses when facing a no-win scenario.

A better solution would have been to be allowed to spend every last dollar saved from TWA member dues and no more OR to lobby the ALPA membership for money to support your ongoing fight or a combination of both; that way members in support of throwing good money out the window in "hopes" of winning the day could do so and those who didn't want to wouldn't be burdened with their membership dues going to fight a hopeless battle.

Plus, we tried to file an injuction preventing the imposed integration but DW yanked the lawyer out from under us. Funny, we thought the lawyer worked for our MEC but as it turned out he worked for National. That's called a conflict of interest. (And the AWA MEC isn't making the same mistake.)
Can't disagree with you there; I've told every single member who will listen to me that if they have a fight with the company that the MEC doesn't seem to get behind 110% and support, do NOT use the MEC attorney in grievance, get your own attorney and make your MEC pay their share of it (it's in the bylaws).

You see, it's not just about the lowly TWAers; it's about what we can expect from our union when the going gets rough.
No, it's not. That's semantic justification.

You seem to advocate a give-up-early position and I say fight to the end.
No, I'm very much a "fight to the end" kind of person WHEN I KNOW THERE'S A HINT OF WINNING. When it's a no-win scenario, I cut my losses and move on, as much for my own peace of mind as for saving time, money, and effort.

I had to do EXACTLY that when FedEx illegally was awarded the USPS Priority Mail contract. Language within the federal government's outsourcing policy states that NO contract will be SINGLE-SOURCED to any ONE company yet that's exactly what they did and we all lost our jobs at Express One, Emery, and most of the folks at Ryan because FedEx wouldn't even offer us INTERVIEWS, much less jobs. Lots of guys got together and started filing lawsuits - we realized what kind of entity we were up against and cut our losses and moved on. Sometimes it's just not worth it to "fight the good fight" when it's hopeless. Holding on to this kind of anger is unhealthy at best.

I didn't say it wasn't moving forward, in fact it is. I was simply illustrating how slowly complex civil litigation moves. There's been no rulings on merit. In fact, the case against the two other original defendents, APA and AA/TWA LLc was dismissed not on merit but on statute of limitations. Ozark's lawsuit against ALPA took seven years to conclude.
And you guys have been at this HOW long and haven't been able to take it to trial? I'm somewhat familiar with civil litigation and can tell you the longer it takes to go to trial, the lesser the odds of winning. Strong cases go to trial quickly because all the evidence is in their favor.

Wow. I'm floored. "Retaliatory"?!!! We know the integration won't be overturned and there's no precedent for large money payouts. In other words, even if the suit is wildly successful we stand to gain very little individually.
You just described the true essence of "retaliatory".

"I'm not going to get anything out of this, I know we're basically just trying to make a point and the only people getting richer are the lawyers, but dammit we're going to do it anyway just to slap ALPA's hand."

What about that doesn't sound retaliatory?

I wish you the best, I really do, ALPA needs a wake-up call in how they do business and maybe this will help, but I just don't see it working.

Lear70 said:
I disagree. ALPA has a fiduciary responsibility to ALL it's individual MEC's to make decisions such as this. If the odds were 1 in 1,000 or worse (which it seems to me they were), they bore a responsibility to their OTHER members to cut their losses when facing a no-win scenario.
Well then we'll just keep disagreeing. If a union is all about letting it own out to dry then what good is it?
And you guys have been at this HOW long and haven't been able to take it to trial? I'm somewhat familiar with civil litigation and can tell you the longer it takes to go to trial, the lesser the odds of winning. Strong cases go to trial quickly because all the evidence is in their favor.
I don't know what your "somewhat" familiarity with civil litigation is but I've done paralegal type work at my dad's law office. Complex litigation takes a long time regardless of how "strong" the case is. There have been no rulings on the "strength" of our case other than ALPA's failed Motion to Dismiss. Of course ALPA will use every delaying tactic possible and we can't afford lawyers high-powered enough to push things any faster.
You just described the true essence of "retaliatory".
You really don't understand. Breach of responsibility is actionable. It just doesn't matter that defending us wasn't the financially smart thing to do. Unions make it hurt for their employers -- that's what it takes to defend pilots. Though the desire for revenge is natural ALPA National needs to learn what DFR means. There WILL be more mergers and if the lesson isn't taught what happened to us WILL happen again.

cargojunkie said:
I still dont understand why GJ pilots are different from MESA, SKYWEST, CHQ, republic, shuttle, PSA, its all the same.
This falls under the YGBFSM category.

If you haven't figured it out by now, maybe you're not intelligent enough to be a pilot for a living.

G0Jet as a company is taking flying (and aircraft) that are TSA's and operating them at another company, flying the same type of routes, with a crap "contract" (only the hourly wage is equivalent, everything else is sub-par), and they're DELIBERATELY DOING IT TO TRY TO KILL THE UNION which is currently in Section 6 negotiations.

It's the same thing that Freedom did, and they did it successfully.

Let me ask you a question: do you want to be in the airline business for 10 years and still be unable to break six figures? That is EXACTLY what will happen if companies are able to keep doing this alter-ego bullsh*t.

So if you go to work as a pilot for G0Jets knowing all this and knowing that for every aircraft taken from TSA it puts 10 pilots on the street, but you do it anyway, you are no better than a SCAB and deserve being labeled as such.

No, I know they're not the same thing, but they're pretty much kissing cousins.

TWA Dude, we're probably just going to have to agree to disagree. The only thing that makes your lawsuit useless (in my opinion) is that you're arguing "breach of responsibility" when that responsibility works both ways: they had a duty to represent you and they had a duty to their other members not to throw their dues money out the window for a lost cause. It's a double-edged sword and, going up against the kind of high-dollar attorneys that ALPA has, I wouldn't put money on your case.

Incidentally, I've had a run of BAD luck the last several years and have sued about 7 people and 3 businesses (without an attorney), all but one with success, so I understand how hard it can be to bring a case to trial which is why I stand by what I said. Doesn't make me a trial lawyer, but I know what the judge is looking for and know what I need to present and how to present it in order to win.

Lear70 said:
TWA Dude, we're probably just going to have to agree to disagree.
Agreed.
Incidentally, I've had a run of BAD luck the last several years and have sued about 7 people and 3 businesses (without an attorney), all but one with success, so I understand how hard it can be to bring a case to trial which is why I stand by what I said. Doesn't make me a trial lawyer, but I know what the judge is looking for and know what I need to present and how to present it in order to win.
I don't understand how you can compare a class-action DFR suit with your actions. The discovery phase alone is estimated to take a year. Your presumption that the case is dragging on due to lack of merit is false. In fact, seven years is not an uncommon time frame at all.

Lear70 said:
G0Jet as a company is taking flying (and aircraft) that are TSA's and operating them at another company,

If you don't like GJ's, fine, don't work there. No one said you have to like what's going on. But at least tell the truth.

The fact is that GJ's HAS NOT "taken" any flying or aircraft from anyone, including TSA. The aircraft that GJ's is flying were NEVER in service at TSA. Period.

I can't wait till the day comes when none of us have to give a squat where any regional jet ends up. For one thing it would mean that we don't have to listen to people like you telling us how that flying should belong to (insert commuter airline here) and I for one hope to see the deserts fill with 50 seat RJ's so just maybe we'll start seeing some flying going back to the mainlines soon. The last thing the world needs is RJ's with first class seats. This is just an extension of why we're in this mess to begin with. RJ's need to be "feeding" mainline. This is afterall what they were supposed to be doing to begin with. Putting first class seats on a CRJ is something akin to saddling a domestic house cat for a 5 mile trail ride. :eek:

Last edited:
Pilotsrule said:
I'm glad to be on with G0JETS.. quick upgrade.. 1000 Turbine PIC is whats important to me...
Whore or flamebaiter, which is it?

h25b, why are you even posting here. According to your profile, you don't even fly for a regional, so WTF do you care?

Incidentally, I believe many TSA folk would tend to disagree with you.

G0Jets pilots who know what they're doing to their fellow pilots are a disgrace to the profession. Not a single fu*king one of them will EVER be allowed on my jumpseat, and I'm not alone in that belief. I carry the list, as do many others. THAT'S the only weapon I have in this fight, besides supporting the TSA pilots as best we can.

Latest resources

Back