• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates Posts $1.6 Billion Profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's what allows you to talk freely on here.

guys all over Europe are talking freely without spending 1/4 of their GDP on defense.. I say this as a 4 year veteran of the 1st gulf war, not some peacnick hippie... look at Eisenhowers last speech before he left the whitehouse..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY

wake up America.

Good service and full planes goes a long way to profits.. our over-unionized sky hags have made flying on the domestic carriers a last choice for the world traveller... that's a major problem we'll have to deal with for a long time.
The largest carrier in the WORLD, DAL, has a non-union F/A group.

The largest carrier in the WORLD, DAL, has a non-union F/A group.

and as a frequent flyer in their business class all over the world when I can.. by far the best service of any US legacy airline...

and as a frequent flyer in their business class all over the world when I can.. by far the best service of any US legacy airline...
But many would say that SW has a "more friendly" FA group (they are heavily unionized, btw).

10-year Captain: $10,548/mo.
10-year FO: $6,200/mo.
Pay freeze in effect.
Nice to see they're sharing the wealth with the pilots.

However,

Salary is tax free up to $85,700 for U.S. citizens
Provident fund: 12% of basic salary thru year 10; after year 10, 15%
Housing: if married, pilot receives a villa; married, no kids: 3 bedroom condo; single: 2 bedroom condo or you can opt out of all housing and get approx $3,000 USD/month
And,

Ordered 32 more A380s in June
10 747-8Fs on order with 10 options, delivery beginning 2010
Orders for 11 A380s, 70 A350-900s, and 12 Boeing 777s
50 A350 options
58 A380s on order
Hiring. 250 new-hires in 2010 and 500 in 2011 with worldwide roadshows now scheduled.

Three year training bond, $36K.

Europe has had enough of their "Shiite.". They, along with Canada, are limiting the amount of flights allowed into certain countries. Germany says 4 cities only. France has something similar. Canada says 3 flights per week. Other countries will say the same, since Emirates can flood markets with seats, and hurt each countries incumbent airlines. It's called protectionism, and Emirates may have a hard time trying to figure out where to put all of those new planes. Companies like Lufthansa, Air France, Air Canada etc have money to pay for lobbyists in their own countries too. I know ALPA is looking into it too, and if they try more expansion here, that protectionism may get more looks here.

OYS

But many would say that SW has a "more friendly" FA group (they are heavily unionized, btw).

I've had mixed experiences on them... but I'd argue their very good pay goes a long way to making them a happier bunch... in the end however, this job was never originally intended to be a high paying career... it's become so over the years. Companies over seas, especially in Asia where I usually fly, and also in the Middle East however have a monopoly on superior service.. it's just a reality of their non-policically correct societies where they can simply fire a girl because she's too fat, married, or gives anyone bad service..

it's just a reality of their non-policically correct societies where they can simply fire a girl because she's too fat, married, or gives anyone bad service..

And you believe your job is any more secure? Standby if a high net worth pax doesn't like your attitude (or bad landing), talks to the Chairman of the company and summarily has you canned.

the irony... oh the irony.

And you believe your job is any more secure? Standby if a high net worth pax doesn't like your attitude (or bad landing), talks to the Chairman of the company and summarily has you canned.

A pilot costs a lot of money to train for these companies that have ridiculously long training periods before you are released into the line, also the availability of qualified pilots in the international markets is drying up and companies are having a hard time recruiting pilots, you don't really see individuals fired as easily as it is believed. It is like that famous Tokyo $10 cup of coffee, we have all heard about it but you rarely come across one.

Latest resources

Back