• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates Posts $1.6 Billion Profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Europe has had enough of their "Shiite.". They, along with Canada, are limiting the amount of flights allowed into certain countries. Germany says 4 cities only. France has something similar. Canada says 3 flights per week. Other countries will say the same, since Emirates can flood markets with seats, and hurt each countries incumbent airlines. It's called protectionism, and Emirates may have a hard time trying to figure out where to put all of those new planes. Companies like Lufthansa, Air France, Air Canada etc have money to pay for lobbyists in their own countries too. I know ALPA is looking into it too, and if they try more expansion here, that protectionism may get more looks here.

I will answer you first because your information is always the worst!
1. The EK load factor is somewhere above 85% so we "FLOOD" the market with full seats, we'll take that over here!
2. We just announced a few more "EUROPEAN DESTINATIONS", I guess they have not gotten your MEMO yet!
3. Canada, really! Air Canada is not able to turn a profit without any competition at all, you imagine what would happened if EK flew into more than just 1 city 3 times a week! I guess the money to pay for the lobbyist just adds a little more to the "Financial Losses" No big deal, right!
4. We will add up to 6 new US destinations by the end of 2012, better tell ALPA to get working on that lobbying!
Done with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been here for just over 3 years, 2 of them on the B777 and I make about $8000.00 per month, to that you can add the cash I get as soon as make it to my hotel on my L/O, around $500.00 per month and the bonus of $18000.00 that I just got. I also have put away $50000 in my retirement account and that is with minimum contribution from myself. Most of my kids school is payed, some comes out of my pocket but not much, less than $1000.00 per year and this would be true even if my family was living back in the US. The school is covered until my kids turn 19, so 1 year of college. My medical for my entire family costs $100.00 per month, no copays and it includes Dental. My wife just had surgery and I paid NOTHING. The Villa I live in is nice.
Many of my friends are upgrading to Captain at around 4 to 4.5 years, so you can say upgrade is pretty quick. Again this place is what you make it. It is far from perfect and some of the $H!T they do just drives you crazy but at the end of the day, it is better than most jobs out there.
uba757

Last edited:
Its funny watching you guys talk about DXB/EK yet you have never lived/worked there.

I've lived and worked in ASIA, EU, US & M/east.

EK is by far the best gig I've had. (And no Im not saying EK is Nirvana ...does it exist?)

FO bonus announced yesterday $16,500, CAPT $25,000ish. So that makes a total of 29 weeks bonus pay since may 2008, this during the greatest economic crisis of our generation. A pay raise will be announced in the next three weeks and I will fwd it on. But thus far since may 2008 we have had a total of 18% pay raise on fixed salary though we took a big hit on O/T pay during the crisis.

But the numbers dont tell the story, lots of other stuff in the package. Most guys content, some guys just plain angry...so no different than anywhere.

Look for more orders this Nov.

fareview

tell us about your work schedule.. days off, rest times at hotel, etc..

tell us about your work schedule.. days off, rest times at hotel, etc..

You keep living in the naive american bubble while I enjoy my lifestyle abroad. As an American, I can tell you that you have no idea what life is like here outside of an Army tent.

1. I made more than a 12 year CA at a US regional, my FIRST year here not including any bonuses, housing allowance, or other incentives.

2. My bonus this year will be roughly $16,000 and if I am reading the memo properly we will be getting an 8% raise this year.

3. Days off.... I am flying 3 four days and one night turn around. You can do the math.

4. Rest times. I have 49 hours at the hotel on each of my 4 day trips.

5. Nice hotels, nice discounts, cash on checking in for per diem.

Ideally it would be nice to have a compensation package such as this at home but it is not going to happen right now. I am happy where I am and I guess you are happy where you are. This is not for everyone but I am definitely not deprived of anything or miserable over here.

A pilot costs a lot of money to train for these companies that have ridiculously long training periods before you are released into the line, also the availability of qualified pilots in the international markets is drying up and companies are having a hard time recruiting pilots, you don't really see individuals fired as easily as it is believed. It is like that famous Tokyo $10 cup of coffee, we have all heard about it but you rarely come across one.
So, your job security is completely predicated on expensive training costs and lack of qualified pilots? :eek:
What's to stop them from lowering hiring qualifications or reducing the amount of training?

So, your job security is completely predicated on expensive training costs and lack of qualified pilots? :eek:
What's to stop them from lowering hiring qualifications or reducing the amount of training?

LOL....whats your job security in the US....unions? Those worked well to prevent the mass furloughs that occurred.

You keep living in the naive american bubble while I enjoy my lifestyle abroad. As an American, I can tell you that you have no idea what life is like here outside of an Army tent.

1. I made more than a 12 year CA at a US regional, my FIRST year here not including any bonuses, housing allowance, or other incentives.

2. My bonus this year will be roughly $16,000 and if I am reading the memo properly we will be getting an 8% raise this year.

3. Days off.... I am flying 3 four days and one night turn around. You can do the math.

4. Rest times. I have 49 hours at the hotel on each of my 4 day trips.

5. Nice hotels, nice discounts, cash on checking in for per diem.

Ideally it would be nice to have a compensation package such as this at home but it is not going to happen right now. I am happy where I am and I guess you are happy where you are. This is not for everyone but I am definitely not deprived of anything or miserable over here.

aim your comments at some of the others on here... I've lived abroad a lot, and currently am on my 2nd contract.. having worked in China, Asia and now starting an MD11 contract in Finland..

I don't disagree that EK is a good deal... just saying it's not as good a deal as it should be for a company so profitable.. 12K for a widebody CA isn't enough, other benefits not withstanding.

aim your comments at some of the others on here... I've lived abroad a lot, and currently am on my 2nd contract.. having worked in China, Asia and now starting an MD11 contract in Finland..

I don't disagree that EK is a good deal... just saying it's not as good a deal as it should be for a company so profitable.. 12K for a widebody CA isn't enough, other benefits not withstanding.

Sorry, the beginning part was not aimed at you. I thought your post was another guys initial post then I went on to answer your ?'s. My apologies now that I looked back on it.

Sorry, the beginning part was not aimed at you. I thought your post was another guys initial post then I went on to answer your ?'s. My apologies now that I looked back on it.

no worries, and glad to hear you're being treated well over there.. just don't let your guard down..

How does the EK salary/benefits package compare to these contracts you have been employed through? As an MD11 pilot I am obviously interested in what MD11 contracts pay!!

Latest resources

Back