Emirates Posts $1.6 Billion Profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dirk,
It depends how frugal, but realistically anywhere between $3000-$5500 per month. The upper scale would have to be strict but depends what sort of life you want.
In reality very few do this, the initial costs of moving across the world sets many back for several months. Furniture,tv's, washer, dryer etc etc. It soon adds up.

Thanks overseas,

I figured startup costs weren't too bad considering the furnished accommodations, but I'll take your word for it.

Lots of SJS pilots here in the desert. No, the FOs don't make that much money here, not even the Capts! You would have to factor in various allowances to make it a good deal, but just the straight salary alone not quite.

As far as non- skilled labors here not only they do not get paid as such but exploited! this is a modern day slavery! Not even a livable wages...

Before you all get excited about the bonus! Did we actually get a " bonus"? I don't think so. Those money came from the overtime owed to us! Go figure

Very nicely put.

thank you.....

Dirk if you take the furnished it will be less expense but you're still going to have an initial outlay getting the things you want. Furnished is just that, furniture. No TV's, DVD's entertainment gear etc,the little things are just that but they soon add up. Even shipping your gear is probably in the region of $3000 upwards.

If you can keep your costs low great but then of course life gets in the way also and then your spending your hard earned down the local drinking establishment with your friends.
Regards
OB

I'm not promoting emirates by any means, but let's just make sure some facts are straight.

Regarding the 1000 hour rule and going over. We have 900 hour rule here currently and they follow it. In five years, I've timed out twice and had extra days off due to it. I do not know of anyone exceeding it. This is not a "rinky dink fly by the night operation." Scheduling uses Sabre just like the majority of the airlines out there and you get flagged.

Second. Americans are not the top or second top here. They are either third or fourth. That's based on the EK portal.

Be careful with the comment of saving 3000 to 5500 per month. You can if you are frugal and tight, but initially in your first year, that is very tough to do.

Commands at four years. That depends on what you flew before. If you come over as an RJ driver, those guys are going to five and five and a half, and that's on the Boeing, not the Bus. Bus guys are going longer due to not flying as much, especially in bottom bid. Granted, still not bad, but that's the truth. You need 4000 hours above 55t, with the 900 hour rule, 42 days vaca, RJ guys are taking longer.

Just trying to keep the info straight.

Granted, still not bad, but that's the truth. You need 4000 hours above 55t, with the 900 hour rule, 42 days vaca, RJ guys are taking longer.

Just trying to keep the info straight.

How often can those 42 days be taken in large blocks ie 10-21 off straight?

How often can those 42 days be taken in large blocks ie 10-21 off straight?

Nimtz, I have 2 blocks of 21 Vacation days this year, 1 in Summer and 1 for Thanksgiving. To that I can probably try to add some days off on the front side and back side and end up with about 30 days off in a row. I only had 1 long block of Vacation days last year and I made that one into 34 days. Hope that helps. uba757

Just a quick question boys. After living in the middle east for twenty years, back when it was "normal" over there, I was wondering if the prices of the basics, ie toothpaste, coffee, canned beans etc are still outrageous? How about the eggs, still taste of fish (due to the fishmeal the chickens were fed with) and does the milk still taste like water. (ah KLIM)
Fun place to be back then, but now its a different kettle of fish.

Glad you are all enjoying it though.

Just a quick question boys. After living in the middle east for twenty years, back when it was "normal" over there, I was wondering if the prices of the basics, ie toothpaste, coffee, canned beans etc are still outrageous? How about the eggs, still taste of fish (due to the fishmeal the chickens were fed with) and does the milk still taste like water. (ah KLIM)

the food in the middle east is some of the best in the world.... like Kosher, Halal is way better than the processed crap we're fed here in the US. And the food there is an order of magnitude better quality than in China and other parts of asia.. For one, they don't really eat inerds and other odd cuts of meat... they use the best parts usually. The fruit is fresh, sweet and ripe... don't let food quality be an issue for taking a job down there.

Toothpaste: Pack of 2 colegate or crest at Hyperpanda or Carrefour
I can get on sale for 10 DHS which is $3.

Coffee: Maxwell house for a 11.5 oz can is 12-14 DHS which is $3.50.

Canned Beans: Depends if they have pork in them or not.
beans with pork can be $4-5 per can vs no pork at $1.

Organic eggs have no fish taste, the others have orange yolks and a strong taste. Milk is good and I don't believe it is hormone laden as it is in the US which causes early puberty in children.

I have gotten used to drinking the oasis bottled water here with no taste and not smelling the desalinated water as it comes out of the tap. I came back to the US recently for the first time in almost a year and the water coming out of the tap (that I used to drink) smelled foul because of all the minerals and chemicals and tasted like crap.

Goods and bads in both places. I can't complain here though.

Latest resources

Back