Emirates Open Day in the States

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seahawker01 said:
I am a little short on the jet time requirement but I would like to go here about the airline for future reference. Just curious if they would welcome somebody to the open house not ready for an interview. If yes, would it be appropriate to show up in business casual since I don’t have a suit lying around the crash pad? - Thanks

Yes, and yes ( although I would bet most people have at least a sport coat ).

TP

Emirates Open day(Seahawker01)

Never give up, a NO won't kill you, the more No's you get, the closer your getting to a big fat YES. Personality and enthusiasm(did I spell that right), make up for experience in many situations.

Thanks

X man said:
Never give up, a NO won't kill you, the more No's you get, the closer your getting to a big fat YES. Personality and enthusiasm(did I spell that right), make up for experience in many situations.

Good point and than you for the replies.
Cheers

Typhoonpilot:

If only everyone could post as informatively as you, this forum would be alot better. Anyways, I was in Dubai a week ago and noticed something which I hadn't realized before. Dubai is a place only for millionaires. I have never felt like such a small fish in a big pond before. It seems the only people who count are those with a minimum of $20 million. We stay at the Fairmont and there are at any given time upwards of $3 million in cars sitting outside. Walking about a mile or so down the street by the Fairmont I saw 5 Maybachs, more than I have seen in the US in total. Even the eastern European whores (a population of 2 million or there abouts it seems) don't care about you unless there's a huge wad in your back pocket.

Bottom line.........nowhere, and I mean nowhere in the world have a felt so out of place. The 250k our captains make is interest on most accounts in Dubai. Even the F1 race I saw 4 years ago in Monaco oozed less oppulence than your fair city.

I know, "so what's your point????" How is anyone, ever, supposed to feel comfortable in Dubai?"

Cheers, BC

Brown,

I also join your sentiments. No where in the world did i feel poorer and treated so badly. There seems to be a racial hierarchy in dubai that i never found in the most southern states. I felt like the arabs treated people differently based on social status. I remember standing in line at a KFC and this emirati cuts in front of all the indians and asians and when i spoke up,..he turned around and just spoke in a real demeaning way like i was under neath him.

I will never get used to the type of culture and racism that i saw there. I treat everyone fairly with the same respect regardless of religion or color of one's skin but i felt like i never was given the same respect.

Even the russian girls there would not approach you unless you had some kind of cash!

Brown Cow said:
Typhoonpilot:

If only everyone could post as informatively as you, this forum would be alot better. Anyways, I was in Dubai a week ago and noticed something which I hadn't realized before. Dubai is a place only for millionaires. I have never felt like such a small fish in a big pond before. It seems the only people who count are those with a minimum of $20 million. We stay at the Fairmont and there are at any given time upwards of $3 million in cars sitting outside. Walking about a mile or so down the street by the Fairmont I saw 5 Maybachs, more than I have seen in the US in total. Even the eastern European whores (a population of 2 million or there abouts it seems) don't care about you unless there's a huge wad in your back pocket.

Bottom line.........nowhere, and I mean nowhere in the world have a felt so out of place. The 250k our captains make is interest on most accounts in Dubai. Even the F1 race I saw 4 years ago in Monaco oozed less oppulence than your fair city.

I know, "so what's your point????" How is anyone, ever, supposed to feel comfortable in Dubai?"

Cheers, BC

There are certainly a lot of very rich people in Dubai. The opportunity to make money in Dubai is like no other place in the world right now. It is a boomtown and if a person has the right idea and the right talents they can very easily become a multi-millionaire. Too bad I've never been entreprenurial :( .

Honestly, I don't travel in the tourist or visitor circles very much. My one experience of going to a 5 star resort for a weekend getaway was very nice and it appeared all guests were treated the same. There is a much higher level of service in certain areas, even for us lowely middle class workers.

The neighborhood I live in is very middle class. As are the places we shop and eat. Those tend to be the circles I travel in. Occasionally we'll go on excursions into Satwa, Karama, and Bur Dubai where we are seen as the ultra wealthy by comparison. Those neighborhoods are much lower income level than ours. I get my haircut in Satwa from a Pakistani barber. He does a very nice job and it only costs $5.40. I can then go around the corner and buy 3 chicken shawarmas for about $3.00, more than enough for a meal.

Pookie:

I hear you. That can be very annoying. You can either let it get to you or just realize that there are people here with no manners whatsoever. For what it's worth, I say something when it happens as well. More accurately I'll try to anticipate it happening and give a nasty look to the offender so keep them in place. On more than one occasion I've had the clerk tell the guy I was there first and to wait your turn.

What's up with you guys and the Russian/eastern European girls ? I've never seen any of them around Dubai :p .

Typhoonpilot

typhoonpilot,

Thanks for the replies. I am surprised that you have not seen all the russian girls in dubai. You have to go to the area where the radisson is. I think its around all the hotels where there are numbers on the sides of buildings. You can not miss the russian girls walking around looking for a nice chap to spend a quite evening with.

Do not get me wrong, i had a nice time there but the social hierarchy set me off and hopefully they realize that treating people fairly benifits the whole community. I also got a haircut for $5 by a pakistani person there and i would never forget how they massage the scalp after its all over. The shwarmas near the gold sook (sp??) are the best. Made many good friends there and i even went out with a local arab girl while i was there.

I had no idea about the job fair but insha-allah i get a chance next year.

peace in da midda east.

pookie

What is DEC and what is the chance for a US pilot to get hired? How many Yanks currently working? ANd TP are you an X-pat and if so how do you find living in Dubai?

Baja.

People should also be referring to www.PPRune.org and look at the Middle East forum for more info on Emirates if it hasn't been stated here already. From what I can tell, you get to fly big iron but you essentially have no rights and you can be trampled on at any time. There are positives and negatives at all airlines, but Emirates appears to have many negatives that won't likely be fixed for quite some time... Check out pprune and read for yourself.

Sorry if this has already been covered.

DEC -Direct Entry Captain.And does that cause some hard feelings.But it is a foreign country and they can do as they please.I was asked in 1988 or so if I would like to join them on the 727 as as a DEC so nobody should be surprised they still do it when it suits them.You need 10000 plus hrs and 3000 pic jet transport and some wide body experience to qualify.I think they are looking for people on the 777.

Latest resources

Back