• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

typhoonpilot

Daddy
This just in:

Emirates Flight Crew Open Day – United States

Emirates will be conducting information briefings for Flight Crew in Los Angeles and Atlanta. The manager of Emirates Flight Operations Recruitment and an Emirates Captain from the US will discuss flying for emirates and living in Dubai.

Los Angeles Sheraton Gateway Hotel

March 17 and 19, 2006 0900 AM – 11:30 AM

1400– 1630 PM

Hilton Atlanta Airport

March 21, 22, 23, 2006 0900 AM – 11:30 AM
1400 PM – 1630 PM

To view all our benefits and discover more about Emirates Flight Crew opportunities, please visit our website: www.emiratesgroupcareers.com and apply online.

They will also be at the Air Inc Job Fair in LA on the 18th.

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:
I noticed on the site they want 2000hrs of crew time in jet aircraft. Does this mean if you're flying a brasilia around you don't qualify?

Crash Pad said:
Competative minimums?

4000 total and 2000 jet would be the minimum. I've been training new hires with right at 4000 total time, but they had some 737NG experience. I doubt they are looking at turboprop guys yet, the website states "jet". It's been a big shift for them to go for RJ drivers now that the 737/A320 pool of pilots has dried up.

TP

Hello TP.

As you are the resident authority on EK, how can one best prepare for the interview, if at all. I do realize that unlike Cathay, EK places much greater emphasis on psychological evaluations. Nevertheless, is there any advice you might have, such as typical avoidable dequalifiers you have noticed there? Thanks for any input you might have.

ghostrider said:
Hello TP.

As you are the resident authority on EK, how can one best prepare for the interview, if at all. I do realize that unlike Cathay, EK places much greater emphasis on psychological evaluations. Nevertheless, is there any advice you might have, such as typical avoidable dequalifiers you have noticed there? Thanks for any input you might have.

There are actually two books on interview prep. One is older and known as " Preparing for your Emirtes Interview " by Captain's X,Y, & Z. Available in some Canadian and English aviation bookstores on-line. The other is this one: www.emiratesinterview.com

I would get "Ace the Technical Pilot Interview" to help with the tech quiz.

Apparently they have taken the raw data ILS out of the sim profile, but you still need to demonstrate some decent flying skills in that portion.

The group exercises play a bigger part than the psych eval. Play nice; be a leader at times, and be a follower at times. Essentially be a team player. Be nice to everyone you meet.

I treat the psychologists as interviewers. They like it when you agree with their conclusions. Don't be too defensive. The best one I heard from a friend of mine, who is a type A personality, was that when they started to describe him that way he completely agreed and said he was working on that. The Psychologist stopped and said, "that's great !, as long as you realize it and know how it can effect others around you thats all we care about."

The interviewers do take the conclusions from the psychologists and tailor their questions in the final interview, at least they did for my last job promotion. I knew it was coming and prepared stories to counter, or at least assuage, the interviewer.

TP

TP - just a short question. A DEC (A330) friend of mine quit EK a month or two back after less than a year in the job. The turnover, he says, is huge, with very few N Americans (Canadians and Americans) staying the course. What's the deal? Why is it so henious and what is going on with rostering?

Hmmm. Lemme guess. Chicks and Jews need not apply; and especially, Jewish Chicks.

Cpt. Underpants said:
TP - just a short question. A DEC (A330) friend of mine quit EK a month or two back after less than a year in the job. The turnover, he says, is huge, with very few N Americans (Canadians and Americans) staying the course. What's the deal? Why is it so henious and what is going on with rostering?

Hi Cpt. U:

The turnover is certainly on the rise. I think it is for a variety of reasons. Rostering is certainly an issue on the A330/340 fleet in the last two years as they are worked pretty hard. The nature of EK flying, on the A330 especially, involves a lot of night turn-arounds to the Sub-Continent. If guys stay long enough ( one year + ) to get on the A340 then they will do a lot of ultra long-haul. Some people love that kind of flying, others hate it. There is a certain percentage whose wives or who themselves do not like Dubai and want to go home. Another percentage that have been here long enough and want to go home.

If you add F.O.s into the turnover mix, especially ones hired two to three years ago, there are some other reasons. Guys hired two to three years ago as F.O.s have had their upgrades slowed down by a couple of policy decisions. The DEC isssue angers quite a few of those and the change to fast-track command angers quite a few more. The drop in value of the dollar is certainly an issue for Europeans and yet another reason some leave.

Of the guys I know who left here is a list and why:

1) To Dragonair ( wife is Asian and more money )
2) Back to RyanAir ( Fast Track command change and didn't like being an F.O. )
3) Back to Virgin ( EK and Dubai weren't for him )
4) To Virgin ( EK and Dubai weren't for him )
5) Just resigned ( Didn't like being tired all the time )
6) To BNE for SIN training job. Now back at EK as A310 Captain

The Canadians seem to be the most content lot at EK. It all goes back to perspective, as aviation in Canada is a pretty low paying job where hard work is the norm. EK are up to 150 Canadians and I rarely ever hear one of them complain. The American F.O.s I know complain a bit more, but all the DECs from the States that I know are still pretty happy, except one.

EK management could certainly make some changes to improve pilot retention. Higher pay to keep up with the declining dollar and inflation in Dubai would be a good start. More time off for rest after night turn-arounds and ultra long-haul would be another good change. A strict seniority upgrade policy with fewer rules and restrictions would probably halve the resignation rate overnight.

It'll be an interesting few years here as the expansion continues and pilots are becoming harder to find and keep.

TP

Hello Typhoon.

Great advice. Thanks. Fortunately I do have both books. However, I was unaware of the website. Looks just like what I might need. Thanks also for the insight into the evals. Might just have more questions down the road.

Latest resources

Back