Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
And nja has been responsible for more flight and charter departments closing than any other company in the history of aviation. What's your point?

Big Difference is this: NJA has hired a lot of those guys. SWA hasn't hired the guys that they have put on the street.

The "right sizing" of NJA is just the first step. Management folks in CMH often highlight the mantra that NJ isn’t the cheapest nor does NJ wish to be the cheapest fractional operator. Mark my words, this company will become commoditized much like the current state of the airlines.

RNO,

I'm not interested in a pissing match with you. 99% of the guys I've flown with at NJA were great. The union has been great. I concede RTS did some unsavory things but there a LOT of NJA people that get on this site and defend it to death. When I think the truth is we're just like everybody else.
This (furlough) is also something we won't forget about any time soon which again leads to damaging the brand long term.
SWA has never laid off a pilot. They came up with various different solutions to keep their people on property same with UPS. This guy has a different view and it's amazing how many pilots are saying, "well it's not personal it's just business." That's such a dumb response. It's very personal and dificult given the job market aviation or otherwise.

I'm not getting into a pissing match as you like to say, I'm just bringing up the fact of the matter. DS isn't the cause of this mess, RTS is.
Some of you guys have a skewed sense of the history of EJA/NJA, however you will never see me defend it to the ends of the earth. I think NJA has made a lot of mistakes, I mean a lot. Hiring based on future aircraft delieveries is just one of them.

I don't know about SWA, don't care about them, I don't work for them. However you are comparing UPS and SWA to NJA, apples vs. oranges. Two, hell three different outfits, this isn't a one size fits all deal.

You can not forget about the furlough, that is your choice, but holding on to stuff like that can mess you up. Be mad all you want, just be mad at the correct person. Again, I am truly sorry this is happening.

Last edited:
laid off fron NJ on 9/11/2009

I worked inside and was laid off along with 300 others on 9/11/2009....What a joke. Here we all thought we were safe!

Just as a FYI and heads up. I know many of you expected this to come...

I talked to a very reliable source today, a VP at a company directly related to EJA. The word is EJA will be laying off 500 pilots here in the very near future. Best of luck to you guys. While I trust the information I was given, I hope it does not in fact come to fruition. Not good times at all.

My previous post ended up being wrong. Management has put out the info in plain language. Management did the right thing (maybe a little late in the game but at least they put out the numbers officially). Lets hope that the rest of this furlough is conducted professionally as well.

My thoughts go out to all that are affected by today's announcement.

Looks like now it's official

NetJets plans to lay off nearly 500 pilots
Fewer than 100 of them are central Ohioans, company says

Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:27 PM

By Marla Matzer Rose

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

NetJets Inc. said today it will lay off nearly 500 pilots, as its new management deals with a prolonged economic downturn that has hit the company hard.

The company employs more than 3,000 pilots worldwide, with most of them located in the U.S. Fewer than 100 of the pilots to be laid off live in the central Ohio area, said NetJets Chairman and CEO David Sokol.

The layoffs will take effect in 60 days. The expected number is 495, though Sokol said the number could end up being slightly reduced after discussions with the pilot's union. Pilots will receive two months' pay after being furloughed and will be eligible to be called back in accordance with union rules as pilot jobs are added in the future, he said.

Sokol, who replaced Richard Santulli as leader of the Columbus-based Berkshire Hathaway unit in August, said it was a "difficult decision" in recognition that demand for private-jet service isn't expected to recover soon.

NetJets pioneered the fractional-ownership model in the private-jet industry, allowing customers to buy a share in a jet rather than taking on the cost of operating one's own private aircraft.

Even after the layoffs, the company will remain several times larger than any of its competitors, Sokol said.

Efforts to avoid layoffs had been under way for months. The company's in-house pilot's union took on a set of voluntary measures aimed at avoiding furloughs in May. In late June, the company said it would not lay off pilots.

Sokol said the earlier decision not to furlough pilots was probably "overly optimistic" in hindsight.

Santulli, the previous chairman and CEO, abruptly resigned in August, just ahead of an announcement of a quarterly loss of $253 million. The majority of that loss was attributed to write-downs on the value of the company's aircraft.

That sucks! Sorry to hear the bad news. Approximately what DOH are we talking about? I have friends I'm concerned about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back