eating on a budget during a trip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
501261 said:
No it is simply having enough pride in your profession that you will not accept a job that pays less than the fricking fry cook at McD's.

Any suggestions where I can get that high paying start in this industry?

Believe me I've been looking and I'd love some suggestions. Like the rest of the people on this board, I'd rather not take a crap paying job, but its not like my daddy owns a GV and is willing to make me captain....

GreatChecko

I'm for sure on a budget, although I do have enough pennies in the bank to eat out if I wanted to once a day or so, and sometimes I do. However it's pretty hard to eat "good" food on the road. If I eat fast food, Taco Bell especially, I will feel like crap the rest of the day. If I pack my own food, then I want have to worry about running around the terminal looking for good food which is hard to find in airports with limited time.

Diesel said:
Then get a better paying job.

Is that why the coffee on regionals taste so bad? It's really hotdog water?
I think that's the idea. Based on your bio you should know better. It takes time and experience to get a good job. Until then it requires coping.

Whatever you eat watch the sugar and sodium intake. I've seen a lot of guys medical out and some die right after retirement. It's not worth ruining your health for this job. If you can't eat decent food it's time to find a different line of work or finetune your budget. Any packaged foods are likely to be really high in sodium and/or sugars. The more food has been processed the less nutritional value it has. I recommend a good vitamin regimen. I've been using Mountain Peak Nutritionals "ultra-high" formula. Check out their website at www.mpn8.com
I really watch the ratio of protein to carbs. I've lost about 30 pounds that way thanks to insuring I've got a little bit of protein in every meal and trying to exercise a bit. Certain foods have been eliminated from my diet. I rarely eat breads. No fried foods. I try to eat complex carbs rather than simple carbs. I try to have some semi-healthy snacks during the day to keep going. I think my diet has helped keep my energy level up. I don't get as tired as I used to. Or perhaps that's because my FO is doing all the hard work.

Here's another thought. For those of us that do mostly hub out and backs freeze a few good quality home cooked meals. Even if you commute in from a distance they won't spoil. When you get to the hub put them in the refrigerator. Nuke them when it's time to eat.

Budget Eatin'

Packaged Tuna.The stuff that is in water,not olive oil or whatever.This stuff doesnt have too high of a sodium content.Get some low sodium crackers and a bottle of Tabasco sauce.Put the tuna on the crackers and then add tabasco sauce over the tuna.Enjoy! Shy away from microwave dinners.They have a TON of sodium.Stay away from Taco Bell or any of the other fast food restaurants if you know whats good for ya.Subways an exception.WATCH "SUPER SIZE ME" and your fast food eatin habits will dwindle down to maybe a couple big macs a year.

psysix said:
This is one of the most pathetic and saddest threads ever. I make $2/hr perdiem for domestic trips which I mostly bid. When I'm on the road, I'll eat the catering on the flight, which we have menu selections. Occasionally I'll get something to eat at the cafeteria at the sort. At the hotel I'll typically go have dinner around 5pm with the rest of the crew. We usually end up going to a nice restaurant and I'll spend around $15-20 for the meal. I'll bring with me $150 for a week long domestic trip to spend on food.
Not bad advice from somebody who doesn't have their private ticket yet.

I really do feel sorry for some of you. Isn't this exactly what per diem pay is for??? I guess if you do insist on supplementing your income with per diem then you might want to check under the cabin seats for scraps. Oh, and stop buying so much beer! That might help.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back