• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

eating on a budget during a trip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's a dead deer laying right outside the hotel I'm at tonight. Hmmmm... I think that I'll feed the crew tonight... for free! Don't come any cheaper than that. Now, how to pack away the extra 75 lbs of meat?

Great Thread. On the road I live on LARGE cans of Tuna in water and Tabasco for main meals (sometime I eat 2 large cans). If the hotels don't have hard boiled eggs for breakfast (I eat 8-10) I eat a Labrada Lean Body protein bar. I also carry some of the reduced sugar oatmeal packs for a light snack, and a large bag of beef jerky. I will drink 2 to 3 diet cola cans per day, but try to drink a gallon of water per day. The food you get on the road at most restaurants and fast food is just pure sheet for your body. Also a part of the daily diet is one can of Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen. It keeps me from over eating when on the road. It's WAY to easy for me to gain weight when working and not being able to workout a couple of times per day. I could care less about how the per diem is spent.

South Beah diet lunch meals found in the deli section,
they are about 3.00 and already pre-packed

taloft said:
I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I crashed their buffet in the morning.
We have a winner! Know which hotels have the best buffets and show up there. Breakfast-whatever hot is on the buffet. Lunch-Banannas and apples and snack stuff from the breakfast buffet. Dinner- Whatever hotel in the vicinity has the best happy hour buffet. Better yet, if there is a large social function at the hotel just join in. Bow tie and cummerbund and tux coat are must packs during the holiday season. Merry Christmas. Joy to the World! How's the roast beef?

captain gone hunting

wings421 said:
There's a dead deer laying right outside the hotel I'm at tonight. Hmmmm... I think that I'll feed the crew tonight... for free! Don't come any cheaper than that. Now, how to pack away the extra 75 lbs of meat?

While at Commutair, I had a captain that would go hunting occasionally at our Rutland VA overnight. On the second day of the trip once he comes to the airport with this huge tub that you store your Christmas decorations in. He told me to add 80 lbs to the W/B for the rest of the day and took the dead dear home with him.

P.S. we flew 6 more legs that day with no odor, I guess he sealed it up well.

I was sitting here laughing as I read this thread and thought back over all of the strange things we did to feed ourselves.

1. Put hotdogs in plastic bags and then put the plastic bag inside the hot-water container on the Saab. After a leg or two they were boiled. (needless to say we never drank the coffee made from the hotdog water)

2. Go to Sbarros in PIT and order 1 meatball. Then go to Au Bon Pain' and order one hard roll. Cut the hard roll, insert the meatball, and voila! Mini-meatball sub for about $1.50

3. Needless to say, go to happy hour at every hotel within walking distance. The "B-scale Buffet" kept me fed time and time again.

4. Wal-Mart within walking distance of the hotel? Jackpot! Loaf of bread + peanut butter: $1.75. All the plastic bags you want from the friendly cashier. Sandwiches for a couple of 4-days that dont need to be refrigerated. Want a treat? Buy a bananna at the airport for .75 and slice it up and put the slices on the sandwich.

(sigh) The things you'll do when you're young and can still see your toes when you look down.

On a 4 day trip now and have done this multiple times:

1) Tuna no drain packets and tortillas. Bring mustard or hotsauce for flavor.

One packet and Tortilla per day....Lunch

2) Cans of Clam Chowers or Chicken Noodle. Any soup will work.

One can per day...Dinner.

3) All the frest fruit you can fit into your rollerboard.

Eat as much as you can!! It works at breakfast.

Unless you are a fat ass, this is all the food you need for a 4 day. It fits easily.

Wisen up, pack like that, eat 1500 calories per day on the road....you'll be healthy and save money...Unless you are a fat ass.

Magic

I guess all these super pilots on here that are attacking this thread magically got jobs at high paying companies. I guess they got a hundred thousand dollars a year to flight instruct and then were paid two hundred grand for their first F.O. position. (Your dad must own the Gulfstream 200) Congratulations guys on your superior job progression. And let me be the first to tell you to Shut the F*ck up. We do not care what you think.

And personally I think there is nothing wrong with trying to save money. I do not care how much money you make. Eating out three meals a day at the airport is a great way to put on a hundred pounds and cost more than $5000 a year. That adds up to a nice car payment every year, paying off your mortgage, maxing out your 401K, etc, etc. Keep the ideas coming guys.

SS

Latest resources

Back