eating on a budget during a trip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wheelsup said:
I get it, you are better/smarter than us. No need to keep saying it over and over again!

I have a good friend that was hired on at a GIV operator, $60k to start and they typed him right off the bat. On call 14 days/month. Paid hotel, meals, etc. An awesome job. CA pay starts around $170k, upgrade time unknown.

Sad thing is he ended up there because he was fired from his regional gig while still in the sim :).

~wheelsup

better/smarter?? - OK.

buddy, you're heating up cans of soup in the coffemaker at the days inn..if I found myself having to do this to save a few bucks I would freakin quit on the spot and do something else - anything else. Or at least be sure I got ground level floors to minimize the chance of jumping....

good god this is wrong. dont you think? You guys are living worse than migrant mexican farm workers for chris' sakes...

PS - where does you buddy work that starts GIV Captains at 170K?

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
If you put a can of soup bewteen the two most upper cylinders on the top of the engine, they are warmed to the right temperature when you land. Oh! I forgot we don't have round engines anymore.

Double bag two sick sacks and fill the inside one with hot water from the galley. Put your soup or whatever you need to heat up in there (sealed) for a leg.

Dirty that is right out of "Moondog Academy", have you read it?

I don't worry about eating cheap as much as I do eating healthy but if you can eat healthy and cheap more power to you. I try to eat 3 good meals per day. It's not always easy but possible. Carrying protein bars in your flight case helps out too. Can buy them in bulk at Sam's Club for cheap.

Next time a new hire or applicant asks about quality of life at XYZ airlines, be sure to direct them to this thread.

I think it's Bumble Bee Tuna that has kick-ass albacore tuna steaks in a foil package for about 2.85 ea at your local grocer. The soy and ginger one is the best. I usually pack at least one pack for each day of my trip and more if I have room. I also carry Myoplex/Met-Rx packs with me. They will run you about 2$ a meal. Sam's club sells myoplex bars for pretty cheap that are good too.

Peace!:beer:

Tuna, Yeah!!

Get those tuna lunch kits. At my grocery story I can get Albacore Tuna lunch kits for $1.58. There is no veggies, but great protien.

Whey powder mixed with O.J. from the drink cart (in a glass jar or something) will give you a protien fix and fend off the low blood sugar. You can buy whey powder at GNC. I get mine at my doctor's office for $35 and that gives me 40 servings. So, like $0.87 for %30 of your daily protien intake.

Trail mix works good too.

Latest resources

Back