eating on a budget during a trip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vmc-hound

What cheap foods(or anythings for that matter)do you eat during a 3 or 4 day trip?

I pack a cooler. Sandwiches, yogurt, carrots, fruit, granola bars. Leftovers which I heat in the microwave. It's a bit of work lugging it around and keeping it iced down but I can do a four day trip for less than $20 including tipping the van guys/gals.

I got ya.

Here's how you do a trip cheap. You don't even need to pack a cooler, it all fits right in your flight case/rollerboard.

Unless you're lucky and the hotel has a free breakfast, flavored oatmeal packs work great. I know, laugh, but that stuffs quick and cheap as it gets. Just add hot water from the coffee maker and that's breakfast.

Raisin packs
Chewy Granola Bars
Peanut Butter cracker sandwhiches
Bulk candy

Snack on those while flying. Throw a 1 day supply (normally one of each for me) in your flight case, and the rest for the other days in your rollerboard. THen each day keep reloading your flight case.

As for dinner, you gotta have a real meal at least once a day. Either get fast food or I at least get a $10 healthy dinner that fills me up. Add that 10 to about the 2 bucks a day the groceries above cost, and you're eating for less than 12 bucks a day. As for drinks, drink lots of water while flying at the end of the day, grab 2 cans from the galley for the night, and you're set.

Good luck. Us F/0's gotta stick together.

Slim-Fast. Get the generic stuff at Wal-Mart. It comes down to about $.43 a meal...If you're following the diet that is.

Billy

Sometimes, when I'm motivated enough I will cook up large batches of chow. Things like lasagna, baked chicken, soup, etc. I put them in those glad-ware plastic containers and freeze 'em solid. Before I set out on a trip I'll throw a few of my industrial stregnth tv dinners in my lunch bag. Almost every place we go has a microwave. I just toss the container as they only cost me about .25 and beats doing the dishes. Fruit and granola bars pack well and can usually be swiped off the hotel breakfast bar in the morning too.

I agree with the above.

You can get lots of good bulk stuff at Costco or Sam's Club. Stuff like beef jerky, trail mix, granola bars, peanut butter crackers, etc. are small enough to fit in your flight case or overnight bag. In bulk they are cheap and are relatively filling.

If all else fails, I resort to the McDonalds value menu. Mmmm good, but so mmmm bad for your heart. Oh, well.

Happy eating!

I have a fruit dehydrator. I cut up about 10-12 apples and/or pears and dry them into little fruit slices. 10-12 apples equals less than one large zip lock bag. They fit great into a flight bag and are a great substitute to the afternoon Snickers Bar.

Dinty-Moore makes little tubs-o-food that work out ok. The nice thing about them, they're dry- don't need to be fridged or frozen. (Although that makes one ponder the sheer magnatude of preservatives therein....) It takes two of 'em to feed a chubby bastard like me, but they're only a dollar and change. They're not super deluxe cuisine, but they usually stay down. They have 'em in beef stew, salisbury steak, pot roast, roast beef and spuds, chicken and noodles, and a few others. You just poke 'em with a fork, nuke 'em for 90 seconds, and go to town.

Ditto to most posts above. What I do is look at my pattern and see what hotels offer breakfast and to see if I'm flying any meal flights (yes, we're lucky with first class and NW who serves food). That determines how much food I bring. Ten I pack real food usually the first day and keep it cold with dry ice and then eat cup a soups from the health food aisles or health food stores (less fat, less salt - especially for dehydration onboard the plane). I also bring dried fruit or low sugar content fruit cups. I've about bored myself to death with baby carrots, so those I haven't been eating for a long time. Oatmeal packs are awesome for breakfast or even snacks. I do once in awhile break down and buy food. I need a hot balanced meal at least one time on a trip. $5/day on eating out is usually my budget. But I digress once in awhile.

How can you tell a "regional" airline flight crew? We're the ones with lunch bags/coolers strapped to our gear.

FO

Latest resources

Back