• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle? Stay away newbies!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So....in laymans terms, what exactly does all this mean and why is Eagle "going down"? Is the door closing on hiring? Are furloughs imminent? Is AA going to try to break away from Eagle?

I'm interested to hear more than just "eagle sucks stay away".

Last edited:
So....in laymans terms, what exactly does all this mean and why is Eagle "going down"? Is the door closing on hiring? Are furloughs imminent? Is AA going to try to break away from Eagle?

About 2 years ago Eagle pilot list was about 3100 pilots, its down to 2600 now. People aren't willing to come to a regional and sit as an FO for 8yrs+ making $35k/yr before upgrading. The main reason people continued to come to Eagle was the slight small chance of a flowthrough agreement working out and making it to AA someday. This pipe dream has been squashed recently by the AMR mgmt even though the AE and AA pilot groups have been able to create a proposal both sides were happy with.

There will not be any furloughs at Eagle, we wont break away from AA. Eagle is so stable that absolutely nothing will ever happen. If you want to advance to a major/legacy/cargo carrier then this is not the place to come to do that. If you want to make more than $40k/yr in the next 8 years then this isnt the place to come either.

The lack of newhires here has caused the company to cancel upgrade opportunities to Saab CAs because they cant afford to remove FOs from the line to make them CAs. This creates a negative downward spiral in terms of upgrades, and will probably result in parking aircraft in 2008. In my opinion, the upgrades will remain at 7-8years and the company will continue to shrink in terms of pilots.

The fact of the matter is this!.... Yeah, upgrades are slow, and we cannot get anymore airplanes/flying from american due to staffing! So alot of guys are telling new hires to not come here so we can show management how short staffed we really are. But the the problem with this is that it only makes things worst.
I am sure that if we were well staffed we would've gotten those SAABs and maybe at some point the other 25 CRJ options. But it's not going to happen because people keep bailing!
Do you really think american is going to give us more flying or aircraft if we can hardly do our flying with our current staffing.
Yes yes yes, I agree management dropped the ball at some point, and we should do whatever it takes to keep them from getting those f****ing bonuses (Two engine taxi, flying low, etc) But we shoulnt punish everyone above us on the seniority list or below us just b/c all of the sudden you became inpatient!
And some of you guys are full of sh** too! You knew that things at eagle were moving slow 3 years ago, and still decided to come b/c every other place wasnt offering quicker upgrades either. But you still came over here. I guarantee you that if the airline was well staffed we would probably see those 26 SAAB upgrades come back and maybe more.

As a former AE pilot, I can tell you how frustrating it was that all eventual AA pilots didn't start at AE. Hire a pilot to the right seat at AE, then left, then up to an AA right seat, etc. Now the APA and the AE MEC are all in agreement on this idea, and management doesn't want it. Not a big shock. The last thing AMR wants is one, unified pilot group. That would take away their ability to pit one employee group against the other, and that just isn't the AMR way. Good luck to all involved...

This process isn't over, both sides made a proposal, both sides rejected initial offers. Big suprise, that's negotiations 101. AMR, as usual, is thinking of only cash. They are hoping for favorable results in an upcoming arbitration that could result in several hundred eagle captains going over starting next year, ahead of street AA and TWA people. The unions want to give all eagle guys a chance, but only after all AA and TWA people are back. The quicker AE management can unload 20yr captains the better, for the bottom dollar.

On a side note, no official details of any proposal has been provided to the pilot group as of yet. Therefore, any crazy ranting on the subject, mine included, should be takin with a grain of salt.

I can only hope things work our for you guys over there at AE. There's no reason to leave AE out of the picture when it comes to flying jobs at AA.
A good solid company will reward its employees, regardless of cost.
Good luck guys.

Last edited:
I can only hope things work our for you guys over there at AE. There's no reason to leave AE out of the picture when it comes to flying jobs at AA.
A good solid company will reward its employees, regardless of cost.
Good luck guys.

What they need to do is get rib off all those super, extra, senior guys (lifers) out of the seniority list, by some how giving them some kind of early retirement so line moves up a little quicker than 8 years.

What they need to do is get rib off all those super, extra, senior guys (lifers) out of the seniority list, by some how giving them some kind of early retirement so line moves up a little quicker than 8 years.

ummm, yeah...wow! I'm sure they didnt think of that. You must be a genious! Wow, you should be our CEO.

ummm, yeah...wow! I'm sure they didnt think of that. You must be a genious! Wow, you should be our CEO.

Well for sure the idea has been floating around management decades ago. What I am saying is that they need to do it now, pronto!! and not wait till they park airplanes. Well I don’t know!!
Hope it works out for you guys. You boys deserve it

Rumor that eagle is looking to hire private pilots and pay for all their ratings!!! Interview will consist of pulse measurement and IQ test (below 90)........

Latest resources

Back