• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle gear up go around in SYR today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If there is any aircraft to do what those guys did and not damage the airplane, the Jungle Jet is it. It has a ventral strake located right between the main gear wells that protects the fuel tanks should it be neccessary to land with one or no main gears. Here is a clear pic:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1221239/L/

The beacon was probably mangled and they put some big scratches on the strake, but otherwise from the pic, it looks like that was the only damage. The jungle jet is a tough lil bird.

What I don't understand is, is it me or do the flaps look like they are up? In a go-around that low, I don't think the flaps can retract that fast....

The reason I say that is, normally, b$tching betty will warn you that your gear is not down, which is not silencable, UNLESS the RA is inop/MELed, then it will give you a gear not down warning at something like 9xxx ft, which IS defeatable. The warning would come back again once flaps were lowered to 22 or 45, but if it wasn't, then b$tching betty would stay silent.

If the nose gear doors are open (it's the only moving gear doors on the ERJ), then most likely the pilots had selected it down, but I guess the question is did they verify down, 3 green?

Last edited:
This whole thing is weird. If they did have three green and no warnings, I must compliment the crew for saving the day. I don't think everybody out there would have been able to do the same.

This whole thing is weird. If they did have three green and no warnings, I must compliment the crew for saving the day. I don't think everybody out there would have been able to do the same.
Exactly what I was thinking. If have a feeling that if I had the rush of air, three green and no warnings that I might have turned that into the best 20-ton bob-sled ride ever... It will be interesting to see what happened.

????

I am surprised EMB drivers have not jumped all over this yet.

If you look closely the flaps look like they may be at 22deg not full 45deg which is normal. Also the nose gear doors are open. For them to be open the gear door electric solenoid would have been malfunctioning, or the pilots actuated the gear handle to the down position which sends an electrical signal from the LGU (landing gear unit) to the nose door electric solenoid. The other ways the doors would be open and the gear not down would be an electrical emergency and the nose door solenoid would loose power and default to the open position. Or if you hand no hydraulic pressure to hold the nose gear doors closed.

I am going to go with that the pilots had lowered the lever thus opening the nose gear doors. So why did the gear not come down? Possibly the LGU malfunctioned?? No hydraulic pressure. Not likely as the crew would have reported this before trying to land.

Now with flaps 22deg and the thrust levers at a low setting (like 30deg or less) the Aural Warning Unit would have stated "landing gear, landing gear". This is regardless if the RA radio altimeter was working or not. If was the unit would have yelled below 1200feet and with any flaps and no gear.

So the Aural Warning Unit had to be not working or the pilots ignoring it (possible not likely) and they had Landing Gear Unit did not signal the Landing Gear electro valve to change position or it just malfunctioned (jammed maybe).

Here is the conclusion and not so good part for the pilots. If the gear did not fall there would NO DN (down indications) in the three boxes on the EICAS. There really is no way around this. There are 2 up/ down indicators (proximity sensors) on each gear. If all of them did fail you would have dashes across the gear indictors on the EICAS. This would indicate in transit or basically that the plane did not know where the gear was. One might fail, but all, not likely.

Finally, the pilots put the gear lever down, they either ignored the aural unit or it was not working (probably not working). They then proceeded to land without verifying gear down and locked indications. This is where I would place my money for a bet. Hopefully I am wrong and the pilots are found to be at no fault.

Now with flaps 22deg and the thrust levers at a low setting (like 30deg or less) the Aural Warning Unit would have stated "landing gear, landing gear".

If they had a 3-green indication, though, wouldn't that also prevent the aural warning from saying anything? If some malfunction gave the computer a down-and-locked indication, it shouldn't make a peep, right?

Here is the conclusion and not so good part for the pilots...
Wow, you're going to save the NTSB a ton of time and money they would have otherwise wasted actually investigating this incident. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it could be pilot error, but that doesn't explain the nosegear door. There are a lot of other possibilities here, including chafed wires, computer malfunctions, switch malfunctions, etc. I can almost guarantee there's more to this story than we think there is.

Like IHF said, rumor is that they somehow had 3 green. Flaps 22 is a normal landing setting at Eagle. IMO it's pretty obvious the go-around was initiated prior to ground contact, otherwise there's really no chance it would have been successful. Perhaps we should all just wait for a report. Hopefully it wasn't crew error.

...one of the weirdest things I've seen so far...well, I went to this circus once in Mexico..........anyway.......very curious about the outcome.

I saw it just as it was getting back into the air. No mains, but the nose gear doors were open. From what I could gather, their first indication that something was wrong was when the belly hit the runway. That is to say that I don't think an emergency was declared prior, because there was no equipment in place. My FO saw the sparks flying, and by the time I looked up it was about 5-10 feet off of the ground and moving very slowly (almost hanging in the air). We took off shortly after that so, I don't know what happened next. 22L down between F and C is where he got airborne.

Couldn't find your PTT Switch?

"ya, we saw the whole thing" Why didn't Jet Blue 475 warn them?

If they had a 3-green indication, though, wouldn't that also prevent the aural warning from saying anything? If some malfunction gave the computer a down-and-locked indication, it shouldn't make a peep, right?

Wow, you're going to save the NTSB a ton of time and money they would have otherwise wasted actually investigating this incident. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it could be pilot error, but that doesn't explain the nosegear door. There are a lot of other possibilities here, including chafed wires, computer malfunctions, switch malfunctions, etc. I can almost guarantee there's more to this story than we think there is.

I agree. If you put this many cycles on an airplane eventually you are going to see just about every abnormality. Every once in a while you might get a causal chain long enough to get around the safe guards that prevent things like gear up landings. Don't point the finger at the crew. Regardless of the cause there was obviosly some type of breakdown in the gear warning system. The hats get tilted to the crew for saving the aircraft and the passengers. When it comes to landing gear-up, there are those who have and those who will.

Latest resources

Back