• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle gear up go around in SYR today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nothing will happen if the aircraft is indicating three green, which according reports it was, and if you look close enough you can see the nose gear door open. SO unless you were listening for the gear to come down very closely, this could happen to anyone... lets not forget it is an embraer.

Last edited:
Not an EMB driver but...

Maybe the airplane pulled some shinanigans. The nose gear doors were open which would indicate they tried to put the gear down and some point. Handle down, rush of air, three green, everything is cool right?

EMB drivers: Anyone know a way that the system can fool itself into thinking the gear is down?

I'm not warming up the tar or plucking the feathers just yet.

nothing will happen if the aircraft is indicating three green, which according reports it was, and if you look close enough you can see the nose gear door open. SO unless you were listening for the gear to come down very closely, this could happen to anyone... lets not forget it is an embraer.

I would guess the power setting would be a lower than normal with no gear extended.

Very interesting situation.

These guys are either heroes or idiots for pulling this off. It'll be interesting to hear more details.

I can tell you guys this. The gear lever was dropped, EICAS indicated THREE GREEN and no aural warnings sounded.

Like a previous poster said, the nose gear doors did open, the sound changed and the crew thought all was good. Personally I think I would have noticed the lack of drag or not hearing the exact sound I'm used to but I wasn't there and I have no idea what it sounds like for just the nose doors to open. Anyway, they realized they had a problem about a second before touch down and powered up just as the belly touched the runway.

They did a great job. Why and how the system could malfunction to the point of opening the nose gear doors, not dropping a single tire and yet indicating three green is a mystery and I look forward to finding out soon.

IHF

Latest resources

Back