• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dual Engine Failure--Yeow!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We had 3 pilots and 5 flight attendants riding as passengers on that flight. It sounds like a lot more went on inside the cabin than anyone wants to admit. Once it gets out it is going to be a tough go for Spirit.

I'll bet a lot went on in that cabin. I wouldn't exactly be Mr. Calm if it suddenly got dark and quiet in there...

Anybody know at what altitude they were when power was restored?

One of the F/A's that was a passenger on the airplane said that they glided to the runway,but that comes from one of our FA's.......... I haven't seen Steve the captain of the crew to see what he had to say. He said that he knew that they lost one for sure, so that means that power via the APU must have been restored. But this is all speculation. Keep in mind if the news media gets ahold of this one they will have a hay day. Something that will not be good for any of us.

I just wanted to say thanks for the Navajo informatin. As a former PA-31-350 pilot, I soak in all the information I can about them. My former employer required us to personally oversee refueling operations, but sometimes during a quickturn on a cargo drop-off it got done before you could see what truck it was. If I ever get employed as a charter pilot again :) I'm going to try the paper test. I'm surprised that something about the Spirit incident hasn't gotten out yet. I'm looking forward to hearing why that happened.

TurboS7 said:
.......... . He said that he knew that they lost one for sure, so that means that power via the APU must have been restored.

You know more than I about the incident, and I don't mean to be smart; but how do you come to that conclusion? I'm at a loss to understand how you could deduce that his certainty about one failure was based upon restoration of APU power.

About the APU, I don't have my manuals in front of me, but it would be possible to start the APU regardless of the state of the engines. If the engines are dead, the APU starter is disabled, but an airstart is possible. If normal A/C power is available (one engine gen turning) then the APU can be started with its starter. As the DC9Stick said, sometimes the APU doesn't really want to start when it is cold soaked and the air is thin; but after warmer/denser air is reached, it should windmill to a start.

8N

a note to my friends, No it wasn't me.

Hey TurboS7,

My best bud was the F/O on that flight, and your moron theory isn't anywhere near what happened. It sickens me that you are willing to scream pilot error, with your apparent lack of knowledge in this incident. Fact is they both did an incredible job of staying calm and safely landing the airplane in Wichita. There were heroics performed by those pilots that flight, not errors. Out of respect for my friend, I told him I would not indulge to anyone the specifics of the flight until the investigation is over, but I can assure you they did a great job in a situation most every pilot could classify as their worst nightmare.

Oh come on!!

Wow TurboS7... pretty brazen. Do you work for FoxNews or CNN? They are also amazing people, they like to pretend to know. Even when they know sh!t about nothing.

You're a dingus. I was flying that plane and I say it was my fault. I like to do deadstick landings every now and then.

Man this is one old thread that I inadvertantly awakened. I remember this on the news, I saw the aircraft at ICT. I was wondering if anything ever came of it and just what the heroics were (that were mentioned in the thread)?

Latest resources

Back