• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOT seeks age 60 opinion, young guys speak up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am all over it man...thanks....As a 55 yr old pilot who can barely get out of bed or even walk, has 3 wives, 8 kids and two houses. I don't want any pilots working past age 60 not even in GA. or any other field. I don't want those buzzards falling on my kids or houses...the wives?

I guess this thread goes to show that immature emotional rantings are not exclusive to the Regionals board. Disagree over there and I get called "bottomfeeder", disagree here and I get told to "grow up". Intriguing.

STILL no comment about those whose career progression directly benefiited from age 60 and now want the age moved up to 65 because it would be financially beneficial to them. Once again, intriguing...

STILL no comment about those whose career progression directly benefiited from age 60 and now want the age moved up to 65 because it would be financially beneficial to them. Once again, intriguing...

Nothing I can do to change the injustice to those forced to retire prior to their desires. But you seem intent on trying to ensure that the injustice continues. Please write your elected representatives to voice your concern. Please point out how these SOB's knew the rules when they signed on and are just being greedy trying to work past 60. Hope your elected representatives are under 60.

Who cares about these old farts, they are just selfish and greedy. The only reason why they want the age 60 rule to be changed is that they have nothing else in life to do or need more money for their lost pensions. They dont understand by changing this rule is that what about the impact not only in our fields but other fields around them. See I love it when I hear from major airline pilots saying that we are ruining their flying by flying 70-90 seat jets. When in reality it was them that relaxed the scope close, countless times they have made decisions that have come back to haunt them. This will do exactly the same thing. Thank god that these old farts already have one foot in the grave they have ruined this industry enough!!!!
From time to time I read juvenile horseshii from the low IQ crowd. This missive takes the cake. Please go back to school and get an education. You'll learn neat things like grammar and punctuation, and you might even learn to think for yourself. I'm one of those old farts you speak of and I guarantee you that I could outfly, out fight and out f you any day of the week

There are minimum and maximum ages for a plethora of jobs in this country. President, military, ATC, pilots...etc. Get over it. The restrictions are in place for the good of the masses, not the individual. Maybe I should whine to my senator b/c I couldn't be president when I was 34. Or better yet, sue, it's the American way.
I have flown with some military pilots that share your view of your expertise at a young age and feel a cut above us civilian pilots but most civilian pilots have busted their buts to get a chance at the majors and when they get there they feel blessed.
I too, believe it or not, as a military pilot, busted my ass to get to my position. However, I'm sure the blessed feeling will wear off after 28 (hopefully not 35 or 37) years of hub turning.

Last edited:
Very true. If the age 60 rule is overturned, then the pilot is the left seat must not be 60. If they want to fly so bad-ie no $ for retirement, then they can enjoy the right seat for 5 years-and the pay that goes with it. Having two pilots up front older than 60 is a bad idea, and dare I say-unsafe.

no perfect law

Age 60 is there to protect us and to protect the public from having pilots too old flying airplanes.

Is age 60 too old? For some hell yes for most hell no.

Change it to 65. You just change the number not the law (it still discriminates against all 65+ year olds).
Is age 65 too old? For some hell yes for some hell no.

Can't they come up with a better law. The argument "age 60 is age discrimination." OK so what...so are all the other age rules tied to employment and there are plenty...so shut up.

The argument "just do what the ICAO does." OK we should do that .... then we can be just like France, Germany, Spain, and all the other role setters in this world. Johnny just jumped off a bridge so here I go mommy.

What I am seeing is no logic...mostly crybaby 55+ year olds trying to get their agenda through...that doesn't necessarily help us or the public. Fact is most of those guys...the 55+ ers are a pain in the rear to fly with. It's not 100% but I do believe the older guys are more set in their ways and definitely more embittered and less fun = less safe too. Just go retire already or find a nice fractional job.

Very true. If the age 60 rule is overturned, then the pilot is the left seat must not be 60. If they want to fly so bad-ie no $ for retirement, then they can enjoy the right seat for 5 years-and the pay that goes with it. Having two pilots up front older than 60 is a bad idea, and dare I say-unsafe.

That is actually a decent compromise that would not affect career progression. In years past, over 60 pilots could spend as many years as they wanted on the FE panel, allowing those junior to move up while allowing to top out on the FE scale (over $100/hr at every legacy) to make additional income & retirement. Now, ensure the CA to be under 60 and the FO to be up to 65 and you could provide more retirement funds for older pilots without providing them with a career windfall. I wonder how many Captains would stick around in the right seat if this was an option "for the love of the career".

You know flybynite, you sure seem critical of the background of those that disagree with you, but you've yet to tell us anything about your own personal work history...

Latest resources

Back