• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOT seeks age 60 opinion, young guys speak up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know flybynite, you sure seem critical of the background of those that disagree with you, but you've yet to tell us anything about your own personal work history...

My work history? I have the seat you want, at a company I'm sure you would love to work for.

I'll offer this piece of advice, I'm sure you won't listen since I'm older than 25, try to stay as anonymous as possible on these boards. Some majors require a recommendation, can be a positive one or a negative one. Make sure that attitude of yours comes out in the interview process, it will be big plus for you.

I'm sure you won't listen since I'm older than 25

At least you haven't changed your MO...

Thanks for the advice; it is sound and I do appreciate it. That said, a few people on this board know me (a fair amount at where my 'dream job' is) and I'm 100% confident I won't be negatively judged by them when I ask for recommendations based upon my opinion regarding the Age 60 rule.

Have a nice weekend..

Rules and laws are just that. Made up and put into place for current time frame they serve. The age 60 law went into effect in 1959. It was put into place by Americans CEO to get rid of his trouble maker senior Pilots. No medical facts or studies were used to come up with this number. It was just back doored into law! Fair back then, I think not!

That was 47 years ago. Peoples life expectancies have gone way up since then. The rule needs to change again to fit the current times with more and more people living into there 100's. To tie it into the Social security and Medicare age limits would be the wise thing to do. Is it fair to younger/junior/furloughed Pilots.....NO. Was it fair to my Dads generation of Pilots back in 1959......No. Will in change someday.....Yes. It has to, it is inevitable!

As more benefits are taken away like Pensions, Age to collect Social Security and Medicare, lost/lower wages etc, people will all have to work longer as to not tap into the system so that the money goes farther for those who truly didn't save for retirement. All your turns will come and the smart A$$ comments regarding ex-wives, second houses, fast sports cars, kids education ect, you will all get your turn to make sure you don't get stuck into that same trap. Try flying multiple day trips away from home for 30+ years and see how it effects your family life, marriage, finances. I think the term "walk a mile in my shoes applies here" and you will all get your turn. Good luck in this area and remember that absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder!

So age 65 is coming to an Airline near you? If not this year maybe next year or the next year after that. It wont be long now and this year is the best chance it has had so far. If/when it changes and you don't like it you can always still leave at 60 if you wish. But I think your tune will change when that time comes.

Attempting to get a reasonable, organized, logical response from the pro-change crowd is akin digging yourself out of a pit. Let it go.

DOT not accepting dissenting opinions on keeping age 60

Posted on the UAL board by a pilot - easy instructions on how to comment:
Easy way to comment on Age 60
https://dms.dot.gov/submit/
Page one
click continue
Page two
enter docket no 26139
enter operating administration FAA
enter docket existence does exist
enter submitter information
click continue
Page 3
enter your comments
enter submit
If you read the comments, it looks like the pro-change crowd has been able to rally the troops and 'get out the vote.' They are much more organized with APAAD and PPF. It looks like they've been able to send the message to their members, trying to keep it off of the radar screen for us younger pups. Great work, PVB BEACH.

I have followed the above instructions and my comments wanting to keep age 60 as it is has not been posted after three days. And after looking at over 100 of the comments, I find no comments wanting to keep age 60 as it is being posted.

I think the DOT is trying to get only pro change comments.

Last edited:
Read more closely, luckytohaveajob. There are several comments posted in the nine pages of responses that favor keeping the rule as is. There is one that alleges that older pilots with whom he has flown are slow; there is one from an Alaska Capt that alleges that it would be unsafe to change it; there is another that complains about the grueling schedule taking a toll on your health. There are many more.

The latest of the 449 comments is from 10/25. They are all reviewed before posting. So, have a bit of patience in addition to reading more closely before claiming a conspiracy!

Your are right

Read more closely, luckytohaveajob. There are several comments posted in the nine pages of responses that favor keeping the rule as is. There is one that alleges that older pilots with whom he has flown are slow; there is one from an Alaska Capt that alleges that it would be unsafe to change it; there is another that complains about the grueling schedule taking a toll on your health. There are many more.

The latest of the 449 comments is from 10/25. They are all reviewed before posting. So, have a bit of patience in addition to reading more closely before claiming a conspiracy!

Out of the first 234 posts I have found TWO wanting age 60 to remain as it is. It is not a conspiracy just total apathy on the part of those wanting it to remain unchanged.

The worst part about the change in the age 60 rule, is 5 more years of no holidays with my family.

Latest resources

Back