• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOT seeks age 60 opinion, young guys speak up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just 23 and already hate the career you don't even have. You should quit now, you will be really bitter in 20 years. If I have to retire in 15 years, when I turn 60, so be it. Money won't be the problem. I happen to like the company I work for and the job I have. I want the option to keep working. I'll give up my seat to someone who is already miserable and at 23 can't wait to retire. I feel for you choosing the wrong profession.

What? Once again, you aren't making any sense...but thats what you get when you jump to attacking someone that doesn't happen to agree with your point of view.

I don't hate my career; I love my job...but its just that - A JOB. Its not my life's calling, its not the sole reason for my existance, its what I do to collect 2 paychecks a month to pay my bills and save for retirement. I hope to be able to fly a bigger aircraft for a bigger paycheck, and I hope to be there sooner rather than later. Changing the Age 60 rule will prevent me from doing so, at least temporarily.

While being a self-proclaimed airplane nerd who plans on flying up to the point I die, I don't have to have done this for 3 decades to realize I'm not going to want to subject myself to almost 4 decades of TSA bullsh!t, management BOHICAs, being away from my wife and children and eating poorly on the road. If you like that high-stress lifestyle more power to you...but I won't apologize to you or anyone else for not wanting to continue this career beyond my 60th birthday...and that doesn't make me bitter.

If I have to retire in 15 years, when I turn 60, so be it. Money won't be the problem. I happen to like the company I work for and the job I have.
I'm sure 99% the guys whose retirement at Age 60 was a boon to your seniority and career advancement liked their jobs too...

All good things must come to an end and age 60 is a good stopping point. If you're a 747-400 captain being forced to retire at 60 and you still need to work to support your family...oops! Remember, "protect yourself at all times."

EAP. Guess you didn't notice but I am retired at age 60 with no regrets. It has been over three years since I flew an airplane. I was trying to say when I was 35 I felt the 60 year retirement rule was unfair and was sure it would be corrected a long time ago. I think now it will be. Sorry some of you junior guys want to take advantage of the rule to move up. I think that is more selfish than older pilots wanting to keep their jobs. I am happy to be out of this ME, ME, ME industry. I noticed on my last airline job that most pilots voted by looking at their seniority number and optimizing their career.

Sorry some of you junior guys want to take advantage of the rule to move up.
Is that not what you did - take advantage of Age 60 to further your career?

I noticed on my last airline job that most pilots voted by looking at their seniority number and optimizing their career.
Is that not what changing Age 60 does for older pilots at the expense of the the younger, junior pilots you scold for being "selfish"?

For those of you who don't think this is a safety issue I beg to differ. Maybe not at the mainline level because doing one to two legs a day is not that difficult, but for those of us getting dragged through the mud at the regional level, it is very much a safety issue. I just finished a four day trip with a 59 1/2 yr. old guy, 5-6 legs per day, switching from early mornings to late nights in the middle of the trip, broke aircraft, northeast corridor ALL DAY. The guy could hardly keep up and stay awake. He was very in much of extending the rule, and when I asked why, he simply replyed like many of you have: Age discrimination. Well what will you do when you hit 65? Will you scream age discrimination again and continue to do so until we have to wheel ourselves into the cockpit. Why put yourself through the crap for any longer than you have to. I understand that many people want to recoupe losses suffered through pension losses, pay cuts, ex wives, expensive cars, etc., but THERE IS life after 60. Get a job at home depot, be home every night, babysit the grandkids, go fishing, go hunting, travel, live life. Flying isn't everything...

Hey boiler when you said you were 23 I should have I should have just ignored you, my fault. You seem to think you know everything and have experienced it all but in reality you haven't done squat. Once again I feel for you for having chosen the wrong profession, you have many miserable years ahead of you.

Hey boiler when you said you were 23 I should have I should have just ignored you, my fault. You seem to think you know everything and have experienced it all but in reality you haven't done squat. Once again I feel for you for having chosen the wrong profession, you have many miserable years ahead of you.

Once again, a personal attack toward me based on emotion instead of arguing the point. You've yet to make an Pro-65 argument based on the facts of the matter or challenge the accuracy of anything I'm arguing upon. Have I said anything that isn't factually correct?

I don't think I know everything. I've never claimed as much and in fact, I am far from knowing it all. I'm not miserable now in my career and don't expect to be miserable in the future, but I don't have to be 45 and have worked for 5 airlines to realize that after 37 years of 121 flying, I won't want to do it between the ages of 60 & 65. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

You and everybody else lobbying for Age 60 to change benefitted from those forced to retire at age 60 that came before you, but you fault me for wanting the same benefit. Your hypocrisy is not just blatant & obvious, its disappointing...and I will continue to point that hypocrisy out.

I didn't become an airline pilot at 23 but did at 35 after a lot of corporate and charter flying. Maybe that is why I understand the long term work most of us have done to finally achieve our goal. I have flown with some military pilots that share your view of your expertise at a young age and feel a cut above us civilian pilots but most civilian pilots have busted their buts to get a chance at the majors and when they get there they feel blessed. Guess you don't feel that way. Good luck, an attitude change will help your career. I always thought those old guys in the left seat were pretty sharp, even when I was young.

Once again, a personal attack toward me based on emotion instead of arguing the point. You've yet to make an Pro-65 argument based on the facts of the matter or challenge the accuracy of anything I'm arguing upon. Have I said anything that isn't factually correct?

I don't think I know everything. I've never claimed as much and in fact, I am far from knowing it all. I'm not miserable now in my career and don't expect to be miserable in the future, but I don't have to be 45 and have worked for 5 airlines to realize that after 37 years of 121 flying, I won't want to do it between the ages of 60 & 65. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

You and everybody else lobbying for Age 60 to change benefitted from those forced to retire at age 60 that came before you, but you fault me for wanting the same benefit. Your hypocrisy is not just blatant & obvious, its disappointing...and I will continue to point that hypocrisy out.

I see, because you don't want to fly past 60 then no one should. You want to get to the left seat so you can make more money faster and you want it no matter who you trample on the way. Your arguments are all about you and your greed. I told you I can retire at 55 or 60 won't harm me, I'm sure you'll choose not to believe it. I enjoy what I do and want the option to continue, how hard is that to understand? Some day you will grow up and be able to see past tomorrow. At that time you might have a different perspective.

Latest resources

Back