Disconnecting Hobbs Meter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CLR2LAN said:
Since when did a tachometer have to measure hours? I thougth tachometers measured RPM

anyways - back to the hobbs meter

That was my point, sorry if I was not clear on that. Since we have been talking "times" I assumed that people would understand that. And everyone knows that "ass"uming makes a "ass" out of us all.

Last edited:
Gatorman said:
It was installed in the aircraft for a reason, to record aircraft time in service. Stall6 is right that there are quite a few aircraft the have them on a WOW circuit, but I do not think that it would apply to a late 1960's model Cessna. (I could be wrong here - correcrt me if I am)

To disable a Hobbs on an aircraft would be the same as if you disconnected the odometer on your car. Dishonest and is llegal.QUOTE]

Checking the TDCS's for late 60's 172's, a hobbs meter is an option and not required. The tach hour meter is usually used to track TIS.

One more reference for the requirment for a tach: 23.1305 (b)
(2) A tachometer indicator for each engine.

Last edited:
Metro752 said:
No they won't! They're EEEEdeeeeOAwts!

That they're eeedeeeoawts is true, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall as he asks the FSDO rep about how he might go about toggling his Hobbs meter.

Amish RakeFight said:
That they're eeedeeeoawts is true, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall as he asks the FSDO rep about how he might go about toggling his Hobbs meter.

True. True.:beer:

Amish RakeFight said:
STOP BY YOUR FSDO. They'll have the answer you're looking for.

That was a great idea - they said they'd fax me over a few wiring diagrams.

Metro752 said:
No they won't! They're EEEEdeeeeOAwts!
Yup :beer: I just hope they get the right diagrams. They should be able to since i filled out the request form with the serial number and tail number.

Last edited:
CA1900 said:
Quite a boat full of fish you caught there, CLR2LAN! :nuts:

Absolutely - I would have never though everyone on this board took the moral high road. - should have posted it in regionals.

This isn't being used to deceit or fraud. It has it's purpose and is serving it well.

I'm over it, it’s done. Other people can worry about it for me if they so choose.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back