Disconnecting Hobbs Meter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bus Driver said:
Ah, it's a good excuse to dig into the FAR's a little.
43.2 does not apply,
Unless you consider adding a switch altering the basic design of the electrical system,
appendix a does not apply. If you do then a 337 is required.
If the person doing the work is authorized under 43.7 and the work was done in compliance with 43.13 what’s the problem?

If the person were authorized and properly trained to do the work, why would he ask the hows and wheres?

Also, if the maintenance is not properly done and documented, then the airworhiness certificate is void. Read the small writing in the big block.

The aircraft I work on have the hobbs meter wired to the WOW switch, so when they are up on jacks with power on I pull the C/B.

Where does it say a tach is required?

Way2Broke said:
Where does it say a tach is required?

Here:

91.205 Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

(b) Visual-flight rules (day). For VFR flight during the day, the following instruments and equipment are required:
(4) Tachometer for each engine.

Amish RakeFight said:

Since when did a tachometer have to measure hours? I thougth tachometers measured RPM

anyways - back to the hobbs meter

Last edited:
CLR2LAN said:
Since when did a tachometer have to measure hours? I thougth tachometers measured RPM

anyways - back to the hobbs meter

....ahhhhh......someone stated that a tachometer isn't required by the FAR's, so I provided the reg. - and YES, it does measure RPM.

CLR2LAN said:
Legitimate - your kidding right? I was looking for serious information on this subject matter.

ps, this is a late 1960's model cessna

Although I think most of the posters here are not actually mechanics, but did sleep at the Holiday Inn Express last night, The question is still posed....

For what legitimate reason would you disable the Hobbs meter?

It was installed in the aircraft for a reason, to record aircraft time in service. Stall6 is right that there are quite a few aircraft the have them on a WOW circuit, but I do not think that it would apply to a late 1960's model Cessna. (I could be wrong here - correcrt me if I am)

CLR2LAN - when you posted your question it threw up so many flags that even the armchair mechanics jumped up out of their seats. There is no reason why you should disable the Hobbs unless you are making an upgrade that will take the place of it.
To disable a Hobbs on an aircraft would be the same as if you disconnected the odometer on your car. Dishonest and illegal.

But If you do have a good reason, please, by all means tell us. We are dieing to know.

forget it gatorman, he aint telling!

BTW, CLR2LAN, I am an A&P and have been for the last 24 years.

You're (apparently) a crook.

Latest resources

Back