Disconnecting Hobbs Meter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GravityHater said:
Is this not deception at best, theft at worst (not to mention a flagrant FAR violation)? Call me High Horse; either one poses a threat to your pilot certificate.

Specifically, what FAR would that be.

Last I checked 100 hours went off the tach. Nothing I need to worry about anyways, no flight school/fbo leases it. What far would be violated if the hobbs wasn't working?

As much as I'd love to discuss whether or now you disagree with the topic of this post, i'd much perfer to keep it techincal. I dont tell you what you can and cannot do to your plane.

Bus Driver said:
Specifically, what FAR would that be.

Lets start with FAR 43, Appendix A, none of this comes under preventitive maintenance, 43.9, 43.13. Let throw in 43.2 for kicks also.

43.3 and 43.7; (I bet he is not an 'authorized person' if he is asking this question, in this manner.)
43.5 and 43.9 (either no log entry of this illegal alteration or....),
43.12 (...a false entry will be made, as someone will have to lie about acceptable/approved data for the alteration),
43.13 (I seriously doubt there is an STC, or any approved/acceptable data for a behind-the-panel switch for a Hobbs),
43.7 (he cannot approve for return to service after alteration, as I'd guess he is neither: The Administrator; the manufacturer*; a holder of a 121/135 certificate; or any of the others; and its not a LSP or PP doing preventive maintenance in AppA).

"cutting either of the two (assuming two) wires to the meter and installing an inline switch behind the panel."

Let's face it, this is being done surrepetitiously to the benefit of the culprit and at the cost of some other person; either a renter or the next owner.
I am waiting for a good explanation of why this would both be legal and will not harm, or take away from another airplane owner. If one is provided I will get off my high horse and apologize.

*unless it is an experimental airplane.

CLR2LAN said:
As much as I'd love to discuss whether or now you disagree with the topic of this post, i'd much perfer to keep it techincal. I dont tell you what you can and cannot do to your plane.

Well some of us are sorry if you are not hearing what you like, but this may not be the place to get information on how to break the law. Maybe some similar lowlife will pm you with the electrical and mechanical details on how it is done but some of us do not feel so obliged.
Tell us you have a moral and legal reason to do this and I bet you will have helpful people spilliing all over you with splicing and rivetting advice!
Right now all I can think is, John Doe is going to buy your airplane in 2008 and his mechanic will say, "lookee here John, its going to cost you xxx$ to undo some selfish a33's work - not to mention this airframe has god knows how many hours on it" OR some other owner is going to say "Guess we'll have to stop renting this airplane, it has cost us more to operate than we took in from rental sales".

Metro752 said:
popcorn goes pop pop

Doggy gos woof woof. Cow gos moo moo.

This is proof that when you ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer. If you don't want the hobbs remove it. It is not required anyways. This must be flame bait.

Ah, it's a good excuse to dig into the FAR's a little.
43.2 does not apply,
Unless you consider adding a switch altering the basic design of the electrical system,
appendix a does not apply. If you do then a 337 is required.
If the person doing the work is authorized under 43.7 and the work was done in compliance with 43.13 what’s the problem?

GravityHater said:
Well some of us are sorry if you are not hearing what you like, but this may not be the place to get information on how to break the law. Maybe some similar lowlife will pm you with the electrical and mechanical details on how it is done but some of us do not feel so obliged.
Tell us you have a moral and legal reason to do this and I bet you will have helpful people spilliing all over you with splicing and rivetting advice!
Right now all I can think is, John Doe is going to buy your airplane in 2008 and his mechanic will say, "lookee here John, its going to cost you xxx$ to undo some selfish a33's work - not to mention this airframe has god knows how many hours on it" OR some other owner is going to say "Guess we'll have to stop renting this airplane, it has cost us more to operate than we took in from rental sales".

My Point Exactly.. I could see it now: Some Loser plays the hobbs game sells plane advertising 1000smoh.. Some guy puts his kid in there and the engine comes apart everybody dies. Ntsb and Faa do a little investigation and find out said idiot flew the airplane 5 times a week for the last 10 years even though the books only show 100 hrs.. You can fill in the blanks from here

Way2Broke said:
Doggy gos woof woof. Cow gos moo moo.

This is proof that when you ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer. If you don't want the hobbs remove it. It is not required anyways. This must be flame bait.

Just padding your logbook has got to be easier than screwing with the hobbs. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back