• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Disconnecting Hobbs Meter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the heads up, i might try following the wires and see where they lead in the breaker panel.

Is this not deception at best, theft at worst (not to mention a flagrant FAR violation)? Call me High Horse; either one poses a threat to your pilot certificate.

CLR2LAN said:
Thanks for the heads up, i might try following the wires and see where they lead in the breaker panel.

stealing rentals or just mis representing the time on your plane?

what are you going to do about the tach time, tool?

Who said anything about this being a rental? I couldn't care less if the tach runs, i'm not trying to cheat anyone here. Its obvious neither one of you are mechanics much less change the oil in your own car.

Last edited:
I've been thinking for 15 minutes why you'd want to disable the hobbs..Can't think of one.

What is the reason? Is it something I should consider for my Cessna?

CLR2LAN said:
Is this something that would be reported during an annual?
If found, almost certainly. I would do a little investigating if I found it.
Will it raise any red flags in the ticker itsself?
No.

Are you guys all dummies??????????

I can think of at least 3 reasons to disconnect the sucker:

1. Cut down on your rental expenses.
2. Increase (or at least maintain) the value of your airplane.
3. Avoid 100 hour inspections (or any other time related AD).

You still have the tach to consider....

Most hobbs are electrical. Two wires powering the meter. You can disconnect one wire (possibly by reaching under the panel) or you can install your own open/close toggle switch (would work just like a light switch). Be sure to remove it before anyone works on the plane.

Disclaimer: Be careful. You are venturing off into dangerous territory. If you get caught...many legal problems, lawsuits, fines, loss of license, and quiet possibly jail. It would be a shame if someone got killed over saving a few bucks!

No Delay,

The original poster made it sound like he owned the plane and didn't have those concerns. Or at least he made it sound like he was doing it for different reasons.

Well, we all know there is no valid reason to disconnect it.

Knowing that, you have to know everything else he was saying was pure B.S. and he is just trying to save a dollar.

Latest resources

Back