• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The DC-9's are staying til 2014 now as the company needs the lift. Bid out next month to cover remaining 330/744 retirements. Another bid in Jan to cover remaining MD-90 deliveries as well as 739's and 717's. Looking at expanding SEA to Asia, and South of the border. Going to buy 60,000 Windows 8 based tablet computers, electronic flight bag included. EFB to be introduced with 717 fleet first. BA is offering more 717's that are parked in the desert, former Mexicana Click? You can deposit up to 60 hours in the positive bank and go up to 30 negative. Hiring - Who knows, depends on the economy and the 2013 marketing schedule. Original plan was to start interviewing in late fall to hire early winter, but that plan has been delayed. Lots of rumors that HA may be in play. Just look at their route map and ours. That's it for now.

Hey general, is delta they greatest airline in history, or just the greatest airline of the last 100 years? I'm sorry, I meant Air Line.

You do have the option to bank if you want. I was able to bank 20 hours while on 1st year pay which I can now cash it at a much higher rate.

You can just cash it out in form of a check. Sweet!

So, Hawaii and ETOPS is currently dead for you guys? Wow. That Capt I talked to said you guys were "late to the game" in that arena anyway. I guess now you could focus more on Latin America and the Caribbean in 2015 if you get a new Reservation system. Sounds like GK folded his cards in the right time for Hawaii. Oh well. Aloha!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Not dead General, just switched to the back burner. Initially it was ETOPS/HI first and near international second. Those were switched around a year ago. Sorry you didn't get the memo earlier. I'm so glad our company doesn't limit our credits like that. If you want to relax and drop most of your line it's easy, if you want to work hard and make north of 130 credits a month...they say have at it. The variety is awesome.

Not dead General, just switched to the back burner. Initially it was ETOPS/HI first and near international second. Those were switched around a year ago. Sorry you didn't get the memo earlier. I'm so glad our company doesn't limit our credits like that. If you want to relax and drop most of your line it's easy, if you want to work hard and make north of 130 credits a month...they say have at it. The variety is awesome.

Hey red, serious question...no dig,

Doesn't that just mean less pilots and no hiring if a lot of people are picking up 130 hours?

Bill, from what we are told by scheduling and flight ops, is that SWA tries to run lean on manning during peak months, and about right for the rest of the year. The SWA gig is like crack for those who want to run at 130 trips. Yes it does mean less people on staff, less benefits, health insurance, all that goes along with hiring extra employees. Thus less employees on average per airplane. The difference between SWAPA and ALPA is that SWAPA has partnered for productivity and flexibility over more bodies on property. That historical partnership is at a peak now.

Bill,

ASA answered it perfectly. It's all about productivity here. You might be expected to work hard on your days but also get compensated very well. The 120~ 130 range is pretty easy and that's straight time pay. If senior enough, you can do premium and the sky is the limit. It's completely up to you. Very cool system.

Last edited:
Hey red, serious question...no dig,

Doesn't that just mean less pilots and no hiring if a lot of people are picking up 130 hours?

No dig back, and to expound on ASADFW: When I was hired, we were told that the company expects a certain percentage of pilots to be "greedy bastards." That allows them to have fewer pilots-per-plane than other carriers. Currently, we're averaging about 10.5 - 10.8 pilots per plane (I'm not sure about the Airtran side). That saves the company money in that they're paying benefits (medical, 401-k, etc.) to fewer pilots for the same amount of flying being done, and those pilots can therefore pick up more flying and bank more money. It's considered a win-win situation for both sides. I'm sure an Airtran brother can chime in about their current situation, but keep in mind, the transistion is still in major flux, and presumidly, when all is said and done, and we're all Southwest, it'll be back to as described.

As long as the model (pilots-per-plane) stays the same, growth or retirements still bring hiring just like at any other carrier. We just hire a couple fewer pilots for every new plane than other guys.

This is a considerable philosophical difference between SWAPA and othe pilot groups who have stated maximums for their people. We have no maximums other than FAA legalities. I presume (don't know for sure, as I've never worked for another airline) the other groups' maximum hour limitations are to force the companies to hire more pilots, but we don't see it that way. I suppose the only people our system is "screwing," are pilots who don't work for us, in that we didn't hire as many of them. The ones who are here generally love the situation, in that they can pick up as much work as they want.

That also explains why SWA pilots have so much opportunity to pick up premium flying (esp. in summer). As the company keeps its manning model lean, it would rather pay a little premium here and there, than have more employees to fund benefits for. It also explains why reserves are utilized to their guarantee and more, as they're used before uncovered flying goes premium. Paying people to sit is not a cost-effective business decision, in SWA's eyes. It's been more lately on the Captain side, but it fluctuates somewhat based on a lot of factors, some of which are beyond me as a mere pilot.

Does that explanation help, Bill?

Bubba

Bubba,

Thanks for the explanation of a key difference, SWA doesn't pay you to sit. That can be good and bad. Everyone wants to spend more time at home with the kids. (unless you have bratty kids) SWA's trips are very productive, trying to fly a bunch each day. That sounds fun initially, but after you grow older, MOST people want to fly less. Seeing a rotation with 3 or more legs in one day now gives me the shivers. NO WAY. I want one leg to a nice destination for a nice meal and some relaxation. You can do that domestically or internationally at DL. SWA doesn't have layovers that are over 24 hours probably. Domestically, there are some at DL, but you still get paid 5:15 for that day if it is in the middle of the trip. Some domestic trips get you into a city at midnight on the first or second night of a 4 day trip, and then you have a 32 hour layover somewhere that might have only one mainline plane in there per day. That means relaxation, maybe beach time, maybe a good sleep and then a good workout, maybe a tour somewhere. Whatever. Not every trip is like that, but they are out there if you want to relax a bit. SWA may not do that, but DL wants that plane flying in there late at night with an early go the next day, and that extra revenue probably pays for it. It's their choice to do that. Overall, there are a variety of trips domestically that you can do, depending on seniority and day of the week. One day turns, all the way up to 5 day domestic trips. Obviously you have to stay within the 30 and 7 rule, and the 5 day domestics can be close. Some 4 days have 4 legs with 4 transcons on the 757s and 737-800s. Some have 4 legs a day each on the DC9.....

Internationally, the layovers are usually very nice hotels (for security reasons too), and it is great to see something "different." Yes, some trips to Africa may not be great, but they also can go senior for the amount of time you get. (24 hour 3 day trip for examples) The trips vary in length, and depending on your seniority, you can get what you want. If you can't, bid another plane or base. Bid domestic. Bid one day turns to the Caribbean. It's called variety.

So, that's the big difference. CHOICE. I know SWA has been very profitable and has treated your group well (some AT guys beg to differ, and they will be a part of your group by 2015). DL has had some tough years, but better management and higher yeilds have help lift the airline. Slowly the pay has come back, but it is better than the other legacies, and hopefully will go even higher. RJ numbers are shrinking (minus 147 within the next 3 years total). When the airlines start to hire enmasse coming up here, pilots are going to have to look at all the airlines and see what they want to do OVERALL in their career. Some may want to fly multiple leg days in one plane type forever. If so, they have a couple choices---SWA or a legacy staying on one plane forever (even with the choice to go to something else). Regardless, I hope we all hire more and our airlines do well in the future.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back