Delta to hire again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas,

Agreed. Despite what the pundits say, domestic and international traffic has fallen off a cliff. Oil could be free and it wouldn't make any difference. There are no passengers at any price.

The recession is going to deepen into a full blown depression, with out of control inflation. Expect double digit interest rates and unemployment numbers. Think 1977 except that this time even the rich people are broke.

My guess: Parking another 20-30 mainline aircraft, AT A MINIMUM, plus a WHOLE passel of DCI aircraft.

Furloughs later in 09. DAL side first, then NWA side 2-3 months later.

No recalls until mid 2011, at the earliest.

Nu

Doom and gloom, even the most conservative forecasts show our economy improving in late 09 or early 2010. Unemployment hits its high of 8-9% in 2010 and there is no way we see double digit interest rates. I am not the smartest but I do know not to fall into this over-hyped fear of a new great depression. Will it be a bad recession? Yes, but we will not be re-living the early 1930s. As an Obama supporter I have not used "chosen one" to describe our current president, the only people who use that term for him are the unimformed hard core right wingers. American enginuity will save us as is always does, Obama is just one man that will be much better for us than GWB but not as great as a Reagan or Lincoln IMHO. You could be right and in which case I will admit it with humility but until that day I am cautiously optimistic.

Nu;
I agree that there are a lot of established businesses that are worried. Many industries are going through what we have gone though.
Take for example the car industry. They are for the first time right sizing the dealerships. It is difficult, but necessary.
Many other companies are position to weather this well. I know of many that are making the difficult cut to do so.
It will be difficult but I think that we will make it though this.

My bet is that Delta goes down to around a 10500 pilot airline. I can show you the math on how I arrived at that number but that's another thread.

No hiring for a few years.

Get rid of the 9's in a few years and you are very close to the number. With early outs etc it would mean minimal furloughs.

Doom and gloom, even the most conservative forecasts show our economy improving in late 09 or early 2010. Unemployment hits its high of 8-9% in 2010 and there is no way we see double digit interest rates. I am not the smartest but I do know not to fall into this over-hyped fear of a new great depression. Will it be a bad recession? Yes, but we will not be re-living the early 1930s. As an Obama supporter I have not used "chosen one" to describe our current president, the only people who use that term for him are the unimformed hard core right wingers. American enginuity will save us as is always does, Obama is just one man that will be much better for us than GWB but not as great as a Reagan or Lincoln IMHO. You could be right and in which case I will admit it with humility but until that day I am cautiously optimistic.

Ostritch head, meet sand.

Airlines are a harbinger of business. No loads = no future business.

Where I live is also a tell tale sign of the economy. There are a LOT of boat dealers, construction people and other luxury providers out of business down here.

That means a lot of broke, ex-rich people, and a LOT of out of work middle class people that use to work for them. This trickle down WILL hurt. I called out the housing crisis 8 months before it happened by watching the same signs. Ignore at your own peril.

Maybe Mr. O is going to wave his magic wand and kiss our knees and make it all better, but I'm kinda doubting it.

I'll say it again. Save money, get out of debt by any means possible. Put a month's worth (three is better) of pay into CASH (as in currency) and put it somewhere safe. Gold works, too, but get the actual, physical metal...not some worthless paper.

Watch the movie "Rollover" if you want any idea what's coming our way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju1qdHhdQQk&feature=related

Nu

Last edited:
They say "we" are parking 40-50 mainline jets. The big question is whether they'll be Red side DC-9s or blue side Mad Dogs...

I am sure the 747-200s are in that number too.

These are the ones that have been announced previously.

Per this report, (8-K) there is nothing new. That is not to say that there will not be another cut back.

They say "we" are parking 40-50 mainline jets. The big question is whether they'll be Red side DC-9s or blue side Mad Dogs...

I am sure the 747-200s are in that number too.

Not sure it will be either the 88's or the 9's. With high fuel costs the widebodies are more effective. With low fuel costs the narrow bodys are the way to go. Expect to see more 75's and the like to be parked - if they park anymore.

I'll say it again. Save money, get out of debt by any means possible. Put a month's worth (three is better) of pay into CASH (as in currency) and put it somewhere safe. Gold works, too, but get the actual, physical metal...not some worthless paper.Nu

Why should you worry about paying off debt if your so worried about the economy that your stock piling commemorative Obama gold coins? I mean who cares that you owe Chase or GMAC a couple grand if your out trying to buy bread with gold?

Latest resources

Back