• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta says "NEIN" to merger w/US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whatever, the truth will come out in the arbitration anyway.

TWA was kept alive because it was a cash cow for Ikahn (SP). He was not going to let that bovine die, until he milked it dry.

Last edited:
XBOEINGDRVR said:
Ok, md80 post one article that says U was days from liquidation...oh wait... Parker said it so it must be true. Your reality is a joke, I was on the property at that time - were you?

No I was not on the property then. I was furloughed in dec 2001. What's that sound crickets? Why don't you find me ONE article that said usair was expected to last the year. Give me a list of the investers they had lined up.

Again the truth will come out in the arbitraion. I'm sure it won't be hard for the AWA guys to show that the U pilots, YES me included, career expectations was the unemployment line. Therefore "no date of hire" integration that the U guys are damanding. I have personally seen the unemployment line twice in my career so don't assume I'm a 2nd year regional guy with the ink still wet on my ATP.

I'm just trying to be a realist about the situation. But as others have said i'm probably just an idiot.

Last edited:
XBOEINGDRVR said:
Ok, md80 post one article that says U was days from liquidation...oh wait... Parker said it so it must be true. Your reality is a joke, I was on the property at that time - were you?

PMFJI, don't hang your hat on the "days" from liquidation argument, clearly US Airways was in big trouble prior to the merger. Congratulations on the turn around.

America West, US Airways merger goes for a tight fit
By Dan Reed and Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY

America West Airlines said Thursday it will acquire US Airways, saving the beleaguered carrier from the possibility of a bankruptcy liquidation.
Though America West would dominate the deal, the cash-poor Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier is committing little financially. Months-long negotiations managed to bring an array of outsiders carrying $1.5 billion to the table — hedge funds, credit card issuers, jet maker Airbus and Air Canada parent ACE among them. Backers say the money would create a single, well-capitalized airline capable of turning a profit even with oil at $50 a barrel……..

US Airways has reported official losses of $2.1 billion since 2000. But that doesn't tell the full story. In the nine months ended March 31, 2003, it reported profit of $1.6 billion. However, that was the result mostly of a $240 million investment by the Retirement Systems of Alabama and a $900 million federal loan guarantee that enabled its first bankruptcy reorganization. All told, US Airways has lost nearly $3.4 billion since 1999.

Some restructuring experts, like attorney Coleman, believe the merger to be US Airways' "only hope." A decade ago, when US Airways was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, an improving economy helped pull it and other carriers out of the downturn, he said. But this time that's not happening, in larger part because of the rapid growth of discounters.
"US Airways is not going to survive on its own," Coleman says. "It's a no-brainer from their perspective."

JMHO, but the merger has helped both companies. It wasn't so long ago that AWA was on life support also. I think the turnaround has been impressive. Good luck.

Last edited:
Does anybody other than me think this argument is silly? USA was in bad financial shape. Was she days/weeks/months/hours from liquidation? Who cares? I don't believe I deserve a better spot on the combined seniority list just because USAir was in poor financial shape. Why must a pilot's worth be determined by the financial condition of his employer?

a. Preserve jobs.
b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other.
c. Maintain or improve pre-merger pay and standard of living.
d. Maintain or improve pre-merger pilot status.
e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations.

IMHO "career expectations" is something that can only be determined by a neutral observer and that's exactly what will happen.

Oh, and the "who bought who" argument is also silly and irrelevant.

A350 said:
xman:

yes....but I have a home elsewhere so it doesn't affect me directly.

However, I have lifelong friends at U that will never recover from this merger......so it p#$$es me off.

A350

I agree these arguements are useless, my original reaponse was to A350 for the statement above. And I stand by my contention that his friends are better off now than if U has not been bought, merged acquired whatever you want to call it.

TWA Dude said:
Does anybody other than me think this argument is silly? USA was in bad financial shape. Was she days/weeks/months/hours from liquidation? Who cares? I don't believe I deserve a better spot on the combined seniority list just because USAir was in poor financial shape. Why must a pilot's worth be determined by the financial condition of his employer?

a. Preserve jobs.
b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other.
c. Maintain or improve pre-merger pay and standard of living.
d. Maintain or improve pre-merger pilot status.
e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations.

IMHO "career expectations" is something that can only be determined by a neutral observer and that's exactly what will happen.

Oh, and the "who bought who" argument is also silly and irrelevant.

Yeah me!!! Career expectation, what is this and just what does it really mean? I expect to have a job for the next 20yrs, I expect to be paid for the quailty work that I deliver, I expect to move on to the left seat someday. I expect, I expect, I EXPECT!!!! You may expect to bed Heather Locklear, I know I do but will that happen?? Hell no!!! So this thing about expectation is nothing more than hope!!! I hope we all survive and come out well...

WD.

Wiskey Driver said:
Yeah me!!! Career expectation, what is this and just what does it really mean? I expect to have a job for the next 20yrs, I expect to be paid for the quailty work that I deliver, I expect to move on to the left seat someday. I expect, I expect, I EXPECT!!!! You may expect to bed Heather Locklear, I know I do but will that happen?? Hell no!!! So this thing about expectation is nothing more than hope!!! I hope we all survive and come out well...

WD.

I could not have said it better

Folks, why bicker and bitch about something you have no control over. If you are going to be pissed about off this merger and the seniority integration you are going to have a long and miserable career.
Just look at the NWA/ Republic folks, they are still at odds over this, and some of these guys are retired. Put that energy into making the new US Airways a great successful company.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back