Delta says "NEIN" to merger w/US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jetfo said:
A US Airways-Northwest merger makes a lot more sense!

Actually, a CAL-NWA merger makes the most sense of all. Domestically, you'd have rock solid hubs in top O&D markets with almost zero overlap and minimal LCC presence in any of the hubs except EWR, which is going away, from what I hear from my buds at B6.

You'd lock up the Pacific, with CALs strong south Pacific network, and the North Pacific with NWA's priceless "interport" in NRT. With CALs European structure and NWAs India and AMS markets, you'd almost have a "round the world" airline.

And....oh God, wait, oh no! I've morphed into an Airliners.net type...AHHHHH, someone drive a wooden stake through me before it's too late!!

Nu

Last edited:
U was not a few days away from closing the doors....that is absurd.

Further, the $305 mil you just made.....wouldn't it be interesting to see the split of what operation made what? Go back into AWA's history and tell me the highest quarterly profit they ever made. I would bet it isn't close to $305 million.

The notion that a pilot should have went to AWA instead of U in 1988-2000 is in the top 10% of the most moronic statements typed on this board.

Apologies to the AWA guys, as this isn't personal. No matter how the list plays out, all the AWA guys will win. It may take a few years to realize it, but everyone wants it now.

Like I said, if USAirways merges again, hope it isn't a DAL, UAL, or NWA. They will not put up with their furloughees being stapled.

A350

U was not a few days away from closing the doors....that is absurd.

Whether you think it's absurd or not, it is what Parker said.

Further, the $305 mil you just made.....wouldn't it be interesting to see the split of what operation made what?

AWA = $68 million, U = $246

Go back into AWA's history and tell me the highest quarterly profit they ever made. I would bet it isn't close to $305 million.

I bet you're right. So, what's your point.

Like I said, if USAirways merges again, hope it isn't a DAL, UAL, or NWA. They will not put up with their furloughees being stapled.

Just like with AWA + US, it wouldn't be their decision, it would be the arbitrators.

A350 said:

A350

Doesn't the the ultimate decision belong to the arbitrator? If he decides one way or another both pilot groups have to deal with the situation good or bad. That is the whole point of a neutral arbitrator.

One interesting item is that the wholly owned carriers and "others" added 120 million to the bottom line according to the above post. That means that a significant portion (more than 30%) of our profit sharing checks are going to come from work performed by express pilots. If I was at the wo's I don't know how I'd feel about that. I guess it all comes down to what you negotiate for not what you deserve....

So the East system is responsible for twice the profit......

It is all in what your perspective is.

A350

Latest resources

Back