• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjdxr

From the daily ATA Smartbrief:

US Airways CEO tests ground for mergers
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]US Airways Chief Executive Doug Parker this summer asked Delta Air Lines Chief Executive Gerald Grinstein if he was interested in discussing a merger of the two carriers, according to media reports. Grinstein said he wasn't interested in starting merger talks because Delta plans to exit bankruptcy next spring as a stand-alone carrier. The New York Times (free registration)[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (7/30)[/FONT], The Wall Street Journal (subscription required)[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (7/29)[/FONT], CNNmoney.com /Reuters[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (7/31)[/FONT][/FONT]

Report: US Airways CEO asked Delta about merger
US Airways CEO called Delta counterpart this summer to gauge interest in a merger, WSJ reports.
US Airways asked Delta's about merger
July 29 2006: 12:23 PM EDT

CHICAGO (Reuters) -- US Airways Group Inc.'s chief executive called Delta Air Lines Inc.'s CEO this summer to gauge his interest in a possible merger, the Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday, citing people familiar with the situation.
Delta (Charts) CEO Gerald Grinstein told his counterpart at US Airways (Charts), Doug Parker, that Delta wasn't interest in starting merger talks because the Atlanta-based airline plans to exit bankruptcy-court protection next spring as a stand-alone carrier, the Journal reported.
Delta did not immediately return a call seeking comment. A US Airways representative could not immediately be reached.
The newspaper said that no subsequent discussions have occurred between the two airlines. The Journal said a Delta spokeswoman would not confirm or deny the conversation between Parker and Grinstein.

Last edited:
Wow that would have been interesting. My money is on Jet Blue /US Airways.

Great.....USAirways and Delta......

Can't wait to see the AWA guys try to staple a furloughed DAL pilot to the bottom of their list. Let the flaming begin.

A350

B6 and USair...well, half the company is already furloughed from there and its a good group so it works for me.

Boo Hoo

A350 said:
Great.....USAirways and Delta......

Can't wait to see the AWA guys try to staple a furloughed DAL pilot to the bottom of their list. Let the flaming begin.

A350

I take it you're furloughed US...

xman:

yes....but I have a home elsewhere so it doesn't affect me directly.

However, I have lifelong friends at U that will never recover from this merger......so it p#$$es me off.

A350

Lake Alice said:
B6 and USair...well, half the company is already furloughed from there and its a good group so it works for me.

Dide'nt think about that part. But the fleets work, and talk about getting a strangle hold on the NE.

okay then

A350 said:
xman:

However, I have lifelong friends at U that will never recover from this merger......so it p#$$es me off.

A350

I'm sure it does piss you off. But remember no one here at AWA asked for this merger either! So now we are all forced into protecting our careers as much as possible. And I'm sure you know what that means... Honestly AWA's position is for a relative seniority integration. I think that is fair. Some don't. I guess it's because it doesn't include the furloughed folks. Nicolau will decide for us anyhow, so we might as well find a way to get along and share in the hundreds of millions the company is making in profits!!!!

Andy

A350 said:
xman:

A350

I guess they should've chose AWA to begin with.

Latest resources

Back