• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta RFP on 10-20 widebodies maybe coming in next 2-3 years--article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's great Scoot. When you are waiting in line for takeoff, just remember those larger RJs in front of you are flown at regional rates by regional pilots. The same size planes you guys used to fly less than 5 years ago. Enjoy that!

Disclaimer: Southwest has no RJs.
No Red. That large rj used to be flying for Southwest, and is now flying for Delta. Replacing many 50 seaters. Disclaimer: southwest flies to 79 cities!

No scoot, you don't have access to any of my nerves- but you guys might find out who I am the next time a delta guy in the van won't talk to anyone bc he's too cocky- how many times do you guys get to act like d-bags to the rest of the industry, when you've sold it out so many times?

So, you'll be the guy throwing a hissy fit on the van if I don't feel like chatting? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

So, what you are saying is that DL should still be flying DC9-10 series planes? Still?

Bye Bye---General Lee

So because you don't fly that model anymore, you are will to let other's fly it in an outsourced scenerio? Great arguement General.

Who care's what SW decides to do with the 717? It works for our company to keep it 737 operation.

You allowed larger RJs when you really had DL over a barrel with the re-engine problem. You gave them the out they wanted. Completely played.

Wave, you have consistently demonstrated an animus towards Delta pilots that borders on obsession. Being cocky on a vanride. Are you serious? This is my third airline and in my opinion we have the most outgoing and friendly pilot group I've encountered (this has been true since the day I got hired.) Something must have happened to you in the past. Be true to yourself, this goes beyond your opinion on scope.

I'm fairly certain SWA insurance plans would cover therapy.

So because you don't fly that model anymore, you are will to let other's fly it in an outsourced scenerio? Great arguement General.

Who care's what SW decides to do with the 717? It works for our company to keep it 737 operation.

You allowed larger RJs when you really had DL over a barrel with the re-engine problem. You gave them the out they wanted. Completely played.

You are comparing something that only USA Jet flies now, the DC9-10. Why not compare it to something currently flying that doesn't need constant mx checks (like a DC9-10). The DC9-50s are still flying, and they fit certain markets. The CR9s have taken some old mainline routes, but you see Red, that is why YOUR 717s are a great thing. DL will be placing those 717s on current CR9 routes, and at great pay rates. It's called recapturing routes, and TAKING IT BACK. Aren't you happy for us Red? That is a good thing. Yes, this group allowed larger RJs, but something had to cover for 50 seaters leaving, and you just can't put 717s on EVERY ROUTE----even your company is ditching 17 of AT's cities. That is the point Red. The new CR9s will cover for outgoing planes, smaller ones, to cities that mainline 717s might not be able to do well enough. Your airline axes routes when they don't make enough (SEA-BOI, GEG, etc). This airline puts a smaller plane, even a CR9, but then throws a 717 on the previous CR9 route. That is FANTASTIC.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So one of the reasons you voted 'yes' was perceived growth while allowing outsourcing on larger jets. Got it thanks Gen.

The 50's were going away anyway...you just gave RA a free pass. Nice work.

I have a serious issue with outsourcing by all the airlines that do it-

It's about nothing else- period. And I have a passion against outsourcing that delta doesn't get. I know you don't get it- that's why you f^cking do it. You don't know the damage you do to your own career, and those that do, don't care. Why should I respect you?

And no, what's dumb is ANY delta pilot saying I'm complaining bc I didn't pass an interview, or dalpa looking down on other airlines in vans, terminal, or anywhere else when they have led the charge on outsourcing, doing more damage to the airline career than any other in the last 20+ years.

I'm sure it has been a friendly place: IF you work there., but you're group has looked down on just about every other pilot group for way too long and considering who you are this generation...(?)(ie: not who delta WAS- not dalpa in the 70's) , its ridiculous. Would you like to hear the story I witnessed in Seattle between a delta and Alaska pilot? Tried to embarrass the Alaska pilot through security, and had no idea he made an arse of himself- to his credit, the Alaska pilot brushed it off with professionalism I hope I'd have. Too many complete tools convinced of their superiority in your ranks.

And general stated with absolute certainty that his group understood about outsourcing- then sold out larger RJs again setting precedent for that size aircraft- credit their mgmt- they know what it takes to get dalpa to sell out

So I'm supposed to FORGET? Let them slide.

Let him post threads about widebodies they MIGHT get? When it's the widebody syndrome there that has them looking down on domestic jet flyers- I mean "who cares about domestic pilots, they suck compared to me- my jet has two aisles and can fly to Rome!"

Last edited:
Hey general- did you or did you not fly for Comair?

So one of the reasons you voted 'yes' was perceived growth while allowing outsourcing on larger jets. Got it thanks Gen.

The 50's were going away anyway...you just gave RA a free pass. Nice work.

No, I understood the overall "plan." Yes, the 50s were going away, but over 300 of them had hard core leases through 2015. So, they would have to hang on to them until 2015. Would they fly them all until then? I don't know. But, adding 717s while those 300 were still around would have added too many seats. Instead, the 717s start coming this year, and then even more through 2015. Bombardier gets a deal for 70 76 seaters, but has to eat 60 50 seaters. Apparently there is an RFP out for 30-40 narrowbodies to Boeing and Airbus, but again, contingent on them taking some 50 seaters with them. Not all of them can get parked at once, but slowly they will be gone, and they have to be replaced by something. A CR7 or a CR9 (E170) might make money on those routes if gas is still high, and then throw in the 717s on top of the current 76 seat routes. I keep pointing that out, but it is true, and overall it was a good plan, one that had SWA paying $137 million to do it also. Left seat pay on the 717 in 2015 (when they will all be on property) will be $195 an hour at the 12th year scale (top longevity), which is darn good for the smallest plane DL will have by then. That is a good thing.

Again Red, 140 50 seaters leaving, 70 larger RJs filling in for them. That means fewer planes outsourcing. Then add 88 717s. More mainline. Good.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back