Delta ready to void pilots contract.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pat Fabin said:
...I am fully prepared both emotionally and financially to strike if deemed necessary. If Delta dissolves, my family will adapt just like we did when I was furloughed. Sadly this dream career is quickly becomeing 'just a job' and will not be that hard to replace...
I lived in PTC for many years and still have DAL friends there. While I understand your painful position, can you expand on how striking is going to accomplish anything other than making a personal statement of principle?

That's a laudable goal if that's your intent, but your company is bleeding billions. Management knows you have nowhere to go except out. I don't understand how you feel that you have any leverage in such a situation. If there weren't enough qualified replacements, then I'd understand, but aren't you going to be replaced in a heartbeat by guys who'd do anything to have your job at even half the pay? Why not stay, comply with whatever the bankruptcy judge decides, and live to fight another day?

Seems like the first order of business is to regain profitability. Lacking that, a company is fortunate to even still be in business.

Birdstrike said:
Seems like the first order of business is to regain profitability. Lacking that, a company is fortunate to even still be in business.

A decision by Delta's pilots to permit their management to further gut the pilots' collective bargaining agreement will not restore the corporation to profitability. The Delta pilots have already given a billion dollars per annum to that effort, without substantial improvement.

Sometimes a company that seeks to exploit its employees as means of offseting its management's failures SHOULD go out of business.

I wish the Delta pilots nothing but good but I agree with them. They should not permit their company to make them the scapegoats. Some battles have to be fought for principles. We have this country because some men took a stand when it was necessary. I hope the Delta pilots have the fortitude to do so now. It is necessary.

JMO

surplus1 said:
A decision by Delta's pilots to permit their management to further gut the pilots' collective bargaining agreement will not restore the corporation to profitability. The Delta pilots have already given a billion dollars per annum to that effort, without substantial improvement.

Sometimes a company that seeks to exploit its employees as means of offseting its management's failures SHOULD go out of business.

I wish the Delta pilots nothing but good but I agree with them. They should not permit their company to make them the scapegoats. Some battles have to be fought for principles. We have this country because some men took a stand when it was necessary. I hope the Delta pilots have the fortitude to do so now. It is necessary.

JMO

Strike and put Delta out of business!!!!! By gosh, that'll show em. We all may be out of jobs, but at least we will still have our principles. By all means, lets take one in the gut for all the other pilots in the industry. First, we will begin to "Restore the Profession" through mass sick calls over the holidays. Then, WHAM!! - we walk. Aircraft are parked.

The profession is restored, and we walk away with our principles and without jobs.

surplus1 said:

JMO

AMEN!! It is by having that attitude that we fought and won the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WW2 and other turning points for the USA. You will be martyrs for the present and next generation of pilots. Well most of the ones with dignity and a sense of self worth anyway. Just like I salute every soldier who gave his life or limb for the greater good, we must standby every man and women walking the picket line @ DAL and put our petty differences aside. The reprucussions for scabs must be so severe and so unpleasant that anyone contenplating it will think twice before crossing a picket line. All in all a united pilot force is a stronger pilot force.

PAPA FOX! said:
AMEN!! It is by having that attitude that we fought and won the Revolutionary War, Civil War, WW2 and other turning points for the USA. You will be martyrs for the present and next generation of pilots. Well most of the ones with dignity and a sense of self worth anyway. Just like I salute every soldier who gave his life or limb for the greater good, we must standby every man and women walking the picket line @ DAL and put our petty differences aside. The reprucussions for scabs must be so severe and so unpleasant that anyone contenplating it will think twice before crossing a picket line. All in all a united pilot force is a stronger pilot force.

Are you kidding, the ASA MEC made an Eastern scab the head of the ALPA Security Committee...

PAPA FOX! said:

How can you picket a company that no longer exists? As soon as DALPA walks, Delta is out of business..........PERMANENTLY.

The will not be an airline to strike.

It will be just a bunch of goons marching in lockstep carrying signs.

surplus1 said:
Some battles have to be fought for principles. We have this country because some men took a stand when it was necessary. I hope the Delta pilots have the fortitude to do so now. It is necessary.
What you say may be very well true and while I respect those principles, how long is Joe Delta going to be able make the mortgage and car payments while living off a limited strike fund? More importantly, how much certainty is there that this kind of a job action will still accomplish the desired goal for the risks involved? Got leverage? That's all I'm asking.

PAPA FOX! said:

Unfortunately all this chest beating and braggadocio talk will not prevent the inevitable from happening. Either the airline will cease to exist and along with it, thousands of jobs will be lost by those who have nothing to do with your plight, or the airline will attempt to man from the outside. Eastern failed at this, but remember the Southern’s, Continnetal’s, and United that did not fail but continued operating albeit under a very dark cloud. There are hundreds if not thousands of pilots who would in fact cross the line out of greed or bare necessity to support families.

You may recall the two CAL pilots who were arrested for planning to kill or injur pilots who either crossed or scabbed at CAL. I wonder how much support they got from their fellow pilots when they were standing trail down in Texas? Think real carefully about the consequences of a strike. If you don’t feel the job is worth it anymore quit. I guess you could quit in the middle of a trip and that would show how much you care about them, but be careful before you take the whole show down with you. I doubt that you would ever get a job in aviation after being part of this scenario, no matter how just it may seem at the time.

surplus1 said:
The Company has made a "proposal" that would severely cut our pay, take away our defined contribution retirement, and gut the rest of our contract.

I do not know if the CMR MEC is talking to the DAL MEC but I suspect the DMEC is too busy with its own concerns to be worried about Comair. Comair pilots may well take a similar stance and take this matter through 1113c, but if they do I don't think it will be bacuase of discourse with the DMEC. It will be because the company's proposal is unwarranted and sometimes it is necessary to say NO regardless of the risks. Comiar pilots have said NO before and may do so again. Don't be surprised if it happens.

Yes, it would be nice if all ALPA pilots worked toghether. However if that were to happen it would no longer be ALPA.

Best of luck to you guys at Comair. I am a former ASA guy and have always felt the commuter guys, whatever that means these days, were grossly underpaid. It is a shame that we as ALPA members are so divided.

Spooky 1 said:
Unfortunately all this chest beating and braggadocio talk will not prevent the inevitable from happening. Either the airline will cease to exist and along with it, thousands of jobs will be lost by those who have nothing to do with your plight, or the airline will attempt to man from the outside. Eastern failed at this, but remember the Southern’s, Continnetal’s, and United that did not fail but continued operating albeit under a very dark cloud. There are hundreds if not thousands of pilots who would in fact cross the line out of greed or bare necessity to support families.

You may recall the two CAL pilots who were arrested for planning to kill or injur pilots who either crossed or scabbed at CAL. I wonder how much support they got from their fellow pilots when they were standing trail down in Texas? Think real carefully about the consequences of a strike. If you don’t feel the job is worth it anymore quit. I guess you could quit in the middle of a trip and that would show how much you care about them, but be careful before you take the whole show down with you. I doubt that you would ever get a job in aviation after being part of this scenario, no matter how just it may seem at the time.

Spooky,
Instead of quitting, I had rather exercise my right to strike. If Delta goes away, so be it. I am planning on leaving this profession in the next year anyway and could care less about other employee groups. They could care less about the pilots and the fact we have already given a disproportionate amount. My fellow pilots are the only ones I care about. Sounds selfish but, most people hate pilots and so, I could care less about the affect a stike would have on them. I will sleep well at night and feel good about myself when looking in the mirror. I refuse to allow any management team to rape me and my profession. I know you will not understand this mentality and that actually makes me feel good as I can tell you are not a man of honor.

Latest resources

Back