• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta: Pilots' Strike Is 'Murder-Suicide'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From somebody who has grown up with Delta...fight to get as much as you possibly can...but please don't pull an "Eastern Mechanic" job and flush the airline down the drain.

tgz2 said:
From somebody who has grown up with Delta...fight to get as much as you possibly can...but please don't pull an "Eastern Mechanic" job and flush the airline down the drain.

Eastern mechanics did not flush the airline down the drain. Frank Lorenzo did. Delta management is about to do the same. 50,000 out of work over a 225 million difference in what management says is required from the pilots vs. what is offered. 15 billion or so in annual revenue and 225 million could be the death of Delta. Hard to believe.

800Dog said:
Eastern mechanics did not flush the airline down the drain. Frank Lorenzo did. Delta management is about to do the same. 50,000 out of work over a 225 million difference in what management says is required from the pilots vs. what is offered. 15 billion or so in annual revenue and 225 million could be the death of Delta. Hard to believe.

Amen.

All:

Hard to believe....but in today's world of BK, that is not correct thinking.

A fact of this business today is this. If you fight them in court, one of two things will happen. You will lose and the company will impose their terms or the judge will decide what you give up and how deep the cuts go. If the job isn't done, meaning the company is unable to restructure post BK and turn a profit, they WILL just come back and ask for more.

Look at the ones who went before you. U and UAL.....look at that blueprint. That is where management is going to go....hell the judge all but said you guys are overpaid.

The only opportunity to save this profession is for all to band together and say enough is enough. The problem is this would have to come from ALPA and DW. He and the pilots of this world right now are not in the mood to do it. If you think they are, hell, then I say we go for it. But right now, there are haves and have nots. The haves aren't going to risk it for the have nots. And that is the common denominator that makes this a losing proposition for pilots today.

A350

You know, it just ocurred to me as you metioned ol' DW. When I was at the AirInc deal the other day, I SWEAR the first guy in the JB line was either DW or his exact double!! I must have looked a dozen times over that way...

A350 said:
The Airtran pilots are salivating at the thought that the DAL boys walk.....so be careful what you wish for.

Spoken like a true POS.

We don't need or want Delta to go away. We have been profitable and growing at a rate approaching 25% a year in spite of the competition. If Delta went away tomorrow, SWA would be here by Wednesday, and Jet Blue, and Spirit . . . . etc.

Nope, Delta pilot pay cuts just embolden our management to ask for the same thing from us (the answer has been a resounding "NO" from the pilot group, by the way).

If it makes you feel better, you just keep on thinking it, though.

ATR-DRIVR said:
When I was at the AirInc deal the other day, I SWEAR the first guy in the JB line was either DW or his exact double!!

Oh, he was probably looking for more dues!

Air Inc

Hey,
Who said they saw me at the JB booth? I was just getting some change for the ...uh... soda machine... yeah and asking if JB will pay DUES to help a brutha out. So, mind your own bees wax. But you better pay your DUES or else.

Webb:

Spoken like a realist, not a POS as you say....have you been paying attention the past few years.

Your management may ask you for paycuts sooner than you think. Especially if DAL gets their costs lower. That will put the pinch on Airtran and everyone else who competes with DAL. Fact of the business. DAL's cost disadvantage vis-a-vis Airtran will get less and less as this process unfolds.

However, if your management asks for paycuts when your company is making money, then you can tell them to stuff it. When you are "negotiating" in BK with a judge who thinks you are overpaid, the writing is on the wall. There is no way out. There is pain and more pain. Hardly a choice.

Of course, there will be those who think the DAL guys should go to the mattresses on this and hold up the profession. All that will get you is a spot at the front of the line at the AIR, Inc. conference while the people you gave your career to upgrade and move on.

Not pretty, but at this point that is the way it is.

My advise to the DAL guys is to do whatever it is to save your careers. Worry about your families and your company's ability to compete. Noone is going to help you but YOU.

A350

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back