• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta: Pilots' Strike Is 'Murder-Suicide'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A350 - the thing about computers is, you only have to press the button once. It may take awhile, but your computer will catch up and complete the task.

800Dog said:
Eastern mechanics did not flush the airline down the drain. Frank Lorenzo did.

Hey 800Dog, gotta respectfully disagree. If I remember my airline history correctly,The machinist's leadership allowed their personal hatred of Frank Borman to blind them. They forced the board's hand in an effort to oust Borman, putting Lorenzo in the drivers seat. If CB hadn't been so completely consumed with hatred for Borman and not complety driven by a giant ego to win at all costs, Lorenzo wouldn't have been able to purchase Eastern.

The rest of your comments are spot on.

It saddens me that airline leadership is given a free pass by the street, the SEC, the administration and the great unwashed flying public to run their organazations into the ground, then lie to and trick their employees to get concessions. Nobody cares as long as they keep reducing those dreaded labor costs and Aunt Sally can fly to Fort Lauderdale for seventy-nine bucks.

Their day of reckoning is coming.

"Murder-Suicide"? Sounds like the balance of equities favors a denial of management's motion to reject the DAL PWA.

"In evaluating the balance of the equities, the Court must first consider the prospects of a pilot strike in the event of contract rejection. See Carey, 816 F.2d at 93; Int’l Bhd. of Teamsters v. IML Freight, Inc., 789 F.2d 1460, 1463 (10th Cir. 1986) (reversing a bankruptcy court’s decision permitting rejection because the bankruptcy court failed to consider that the antagonistic labor relations atmosphere made it likely that a damaging work stoppage could result from rejection); In re Garofalo’s Finer Foods, Inc., 117 B.R. 363, 371 (Bankr. N.D. Ill. 1990) (“Courts have utilized various factors in the [§1113] analysis. . . . [including] whether the employees would react to rejection by striking, and if that would injure the debtor.”); cf. In re Pesce Baking Co. Inc., 43 B.R. 949, 961 (Bankr. N.D. Ohio 1984) (denying rejection because “[c]onsidering the risk of a strike or decreased productivity, [the debtor’s] projected savings is highly speculative.”)."

Last edited:
It is interesting how everyone but the DAL pilots are wanting them to "stand up for our profession." There is no national unity and there will never be. Everyone has to evaluate their own situation and fall on their sword accordingly. The DAL pilots are going to do what each one of us would do. Get the best deal and live with it. There is too much invested in our careers to stand up on principle when we would have to start over with less than half or our earning time left. Best of luck to everyone who has to endure these types of decisions.

LJDRVR said:
Hey 800Dog, gotta respectfully disagree. If I remember my airline history correctly,The machinist's leadership allowed their personal hatred of Frank Borman to blind them. They forced the board's hand in an effort to oust Borman, putting Lorenzo in the drivers seat. If CB hadn't been so completely consumed with hatred for Borman and not complety driven by a giant ego to win at all costs, Lorenzo wouldn't have been able to purchase Eastern.

The rest of your comments are spot on.

It saddens me that airline leadership is given a free pass by the street, the SEC, the administration and the great unwashed flying public to run their organazations into the ground, then lie to and trick their employees to get concessions. Nobody cares as long as they keep reducing those dreaded labor costs and Aunt Sally can fly to Fort Lauderdale for seventy-nine bucks.

Their day of reckoning is coming.

Read Flying the Line. Lorenzo is banned from the aviation industry for a reason.

Latest resources

Back