• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta: Pilots' Strike Is 'Murder-Suicide'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The LLC’s are profitable, that is the wave of the future. Management knows that. If you do not adapt to that model, you go out of business. 125K/yr is going to be the pay of the future unless you have a specialty company like moving boxes.

pilotyip said:
The LLC’s are profitable, that is the wave of the future. Management knows that. If you do not adapt to that model, you go out of business. 125K/yr is going to be the pay of the future unless you have a specialty company like moving boxes.

You may want to take a look at LUV payrates.

MedFlyer said:
Do you care how much firefighters/police officers in your community are paid?
Do you care how much school teachers in your community are paid?

Are you willing to pay more in taxes so that these folks can make a reasonable living that is commensurate with the responsibility of their jobs?

Do you care that children in 3rd world sweatshops make 10cents an hour so that you can have cheap clothes/electronics at Walmart/Target/BestBuy?

It's funny how pilots get all upset when customers aren't willing to pay more for their services. Yet, how many pilots are willing to pay a premium for all the goods and services they buy/use?

Thanks for the civics leson, Medflyer!

To answer your questions, yes I do care about those folks salaries, and pay quite a bit of property tax and homeowners fees so that they do earn a commensurate living. (I'm happy to do so.)

In regards to your question concerning our trade deficit and third world working conditions, yes I do care. I don't have time this afternoon to even begin addressing that one, but rest assured I'm slowly trying to move my family away from a life of consumerism to a more simple existance of growing and eating our own food.

You bring up an excellent point though. The same guy that complains about having to talk to somebody in Bombay when his computer is broke, would most likely be up in arms about the high cost of PC's if tech support was a call center in say, Austin TX.

I stand by my original comments. The ruling class executives involved with this are eventually going to pay the price. Unfortunately, the rest of us are going to also.

800Dog said:
Read Flying the Line. Lorenzo is banned from the aviation industry for a reason.

I read em' both, I & II. I also read Grounded by Aron Bernstien and Borman's autobiography, Countdown.

To paraphrase you, you stated the Eastern mechanics did not flush it down the toilet. I contend that they did. Charlie Bryan's obstinance, meglomania, lust for for power and lack of mental health were singlehandedly responsible for the sale of EAL to Lorenzo. I think we're splitting hairs here. (I agree with you, Lorenzo was the hatchet man.) I simply offer up the IAM as an example of how not to run your union. Those guys are as guilty as Lorenzo.

pilotyip said:

are you talking fo wages? The biggest LCC of them all, SWA, 1st year captain 168/hour. Top captain 190/hour. You're a ways off there...

The problem is that SW is now the exception and leading the pax pack, instead of being the low end of the norm. The bar has definitely come down when SW and jB are the leaders in pay in the pax world.

FJ

LJDRVR said:
I read em' both, I & II. I also read Grounded by Aron Bernstien and Borman's autobiography, Countdown.

To paraphrase you, you stated the Eastern mechanics did not flush it down the toilet. I contend that they did. Charlie Bryan's obstinance, meglomania, lust for for power and lack of mental health were singlehandedly responsible for the sale of EAL to Lorenzo. I think we're splitting hairs here. (I agree with you, Lorenzo was the hatchet man.) I simply offer up the IAM as an example of how not to run your union. Those guys are as guilty as Lorenzo.

We will have to agree to disagree. Can you explain why Lorenzo was/is banned by the DOT from having anything to do with the airline industry? What he did was illegal and I do not think the mechanics were responsible for Eastern's demise. If the IAM was as guilty as Lorenzo, then why were they not punished by Congress/DOT like Lorenzo was. They simply said enough is enough and exercised their legal right to strike.

MedFlyer said:
Do you care how much firefighters/police officers in your community are paid?
Do you care how much school teachers in your community are paid?

Are you willing to pay more in taxes so that these folks can make a reasonable living that is commensurate with the responsibility of their jobs?

Do you care that children in 3rd world sweatshops make 10cents an hour so that you can have cheap clothes/electronics at Walmart/Target/BestBuy?

It's funny how pilots get all upset when customers aren't willing to pay more for their services. Yet, how many pilots are willing to pay a premium for all the goods and services they buy/use?

However: When the cost of fuel rises, Target WILL increase it's prices to compensate, NOT ask the cashier to take a pay cut. Hell my garbage co. is going up $2/month to compensate for increase in gas, not asking the guy on the back of the truck to give the company money.

I accept the LCC competition for payrates. But I REFUSE to accept benefit reductions due to increasing costs. DAL mgt repeatedly mentions fuel as the reason employees will have to take it up the butt.

If we don't stand up and stick together now, then the airlines will keep on lowering the bar. This is total BS. You have Delta managers who have mismanaged the airline for 4 years and they are finally getting the clue that they can't keep on loosing billions after billions each quarter and the pilots have to answer for it. If Delta pilots take the airline down, then they are doing it for a better future for ALL of us, so we should be thanking them for standing up to management.

So now a 777 captain at Delta flying international flights wil be paid the same as a 737 Captain at SW flying a 737 domestically? Where do we draw the line?

As long as that 777 Captain shows up for work at $125 an hour, that's what he's worth.

That's why a regional copilot is worth $30k a year.

The CEOs know this and know that they can dictate just about any conditions they want to right now . . . . and the pilots will show up for work. Witness US Air and UAL, and soon to be NWA, DAL, and AA next year.

Latest resources

Back