Delta/NWA Seniority List Negotiation Tidbits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They're heading out there tonight.

Occam. For the most part you have a lot of great insight and info to add. This time I am going to venture that you might be getting some suspect information. The briefings from the reps consistantly includes information that indicates specifically no more negotiations.

IF any were to happen, it sounds like maybe leaving the commitees out of it and having some more rational open thinkers sit down with each other might be in order. Its too bad. It sounds as if it truly was a 1 + 1 = 3 deal and maybe then some.

Ed

The briefings from the reps consistantly includes information that indicates specifically no more negotiations.

Your rep was right, however things change. There has been further reflection by some and they want to reignite negotiations. Folks have been invited up North. There may have been a change of heart and a more realistic approach.

Let's see what happens.

If in doubt...

Just follow the money. I don't think its over. Too much money involved for all concerned. Not just pilots.

Occam. For the most part you have a lot of great insight and info to add. This time I am going to venture that you might be getting some suspect information. The briefings from the reps consistantly includes information that indicates specifically no more negotiations.

Well, you know best. I've never deviated from my flight plan.

You?

Figured that they would come to their senses, but I hoped that they would not, at least not until this fall.

For the Delta new hires that got ER wide bodies in today's class, your career expecations are in serious jeopardy if this deal goes down without fences.

Last edited:
Just follow the money. I don't think its over. Too much money involved for all concerned. Not just pilots.

agree. hope ALPA makes sure both sides get a bigger cut of that money. Consider the stock prices over the last month: announce merger talks and both stocks climb. Then turn the WHOLE THING (right) over to the pilot unions for permission and they can't agree on the deal, so the stock tumbles and analcysts forecast doom. Surely Pardus & co. have been monitoring the market very closely over this time and were buying and selling appropriately. Thanks to this very public 'fight' between dal and nwa pilots, they watched as the stocks almost doubled over a 2 month period. Now that both stock prices are back to the low teens, let's see how high they jump when a deal gets announced. Buy low, sell high... even dumb 'just labor' pilots get that one!

Hope the pilots get compensated for their role in this. What's a reasonable dollar amount for having one's future and livelihood tinkered with? Does it depend on DOH? Maybe. Don't know one way or the other.

(Thinking about it... one could argue that junior guys are young enough to 'recover' from such turmoil, while senior guys theoretically have a nice nest egg already saved up, so no compensation is required to anyone. Nah, they wouldn't try that one, right?).

Last edited:
Figured that they would come to their senses, but I hoped that they would not, at least not until this fall.

For the Delta new hires that got ER wide bodies in today's class, your career expectations are in serious jeopardy if this deal goes down without fences.

Why do you continue to post stuff like that? You have no real idea what this would mean for a Newb at DAL or NWA. Its all speculation right now. While it may not be ideal it certainly could be worse. IMHO fly safe

agree. hope ALPA makes sure both sides get a bigger cut of that money. Consider the stock prices over the last month: announce merger talks and both stocks climb. Then turn the WHOLE THING (right) over to the pilot unions for permission and they can't agree on the deal, so the stock tumbles and analcysts forecast doom. Surely Pardus & co. have been monitoring the market very closely over this time and were buying and selling appropriately. Thanks to this very public 'fight' between dal and nwa pilots, they watched as the stocks almost doubled over a 2 month period. Now that both stock prices are back to the low teens, let's see how high they jump when a deal gets announced. Buy low, sell high... even dumb 'just labor' pilots get that one!

Hope the pilots get compensated for their role in this. What's a reasonable dollar amount for having one's future and livelihood tinkered with? Does it depend on DOH? Maybe. Don't know one way or the other.

(Thinking about it... one could argue that junior guys are young enough to 'recover' from such turmoil, while senior guys theoretically have a nice nest egg already saved up, so no compensation is required to anyone. Nah, they wouldn't try that one, right?).

A 15% raise for NWA pilots, then 4% each year for the next 3 years. 100K in cash ($46K of that would fill 2009 401K, and the rest taxed), 12% DC fund for this year, and 1% added each of the next two years, and better work rules that would add 200-300 pilots without any growth, and no furlough protection. Does any of that sound appealling? How about a fair seniority list merger then? If your pension was threatened, you would lose about the same number of guys we did. We also parked a bunch of planes as our guys were leaving (737-200s/300s, 767-200s, MD11s), which didn't really help us much. You would have to take that into account.

Your Greenbook Merger Committee leader has to come off his DOH stance, or it will be no deal.

We'll see if any of this pans out. I would rather have NO merger than a bad one.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back