• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta, Northwest Focus On Joint Pilot Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a good chance, in my opinion, that we'll see Compass, Comair, and Mesaba packaged up and sold to help make this deal happen.

That may very well be the case. In Compass' case there is language in the NWA contract that prevents a sale until certain mainline fleet requirements are met. I don't know what restrictions Comair or Mesaba may have. Of course anything can be negotiated.

Maybe. I'm hearing that rumor with Republic as the buyer.

I still would prefer one list as a huge step to get scope back under control. I do not care who owns it, if it does Delta flying, then a Delta pilot should be at the controls. With the DC-9's going away, and that flying going out to contractors, Delta pilots could see the same furlough scenario unfold that happened in the first decade of this century all over again.

I agree. We've already found that we have almost no control over DL flying not done by DL pilots. Time to put that genie back in the bottle. I hope the guys don't buy any company argument that says the
-9s will be sticking around. Since I've been here DL has retired 727s, 737-200s/300s, L1011s, MD-11s, and 767-200s, all in very short order.

What I am curious about is how these contract negotiations are being done without any polling or membership feedback. To resolve the NWA contract I assume their compensation would come up to at least Delta levels, but the Delta pilots do not have NWA's pensions (which is why they have these super concessionary rates).

Then there is the bilateral flow through.

Then there is contradictory scope language.

Then there is the issue of Delta's new hires on aircraft that a 13 year NWA pilot can't hold.

Seems like a lot to negotiate, especially if being done quickly. If management just rolls over the airline will likely have costs far above its' competition. If the union just rolls over the hegemony will fall apart pretty quick.

The Delta MEC sure appears to be on the right track, but the work to do a deal this big, this quick, must be immense.

I don't know how they're going to do it. We are benefiting seniority wise from 2500 guys going early but at the very heavy price of our retirement. The best case I see for us is career stagnation and the worst, I don't want to think about. The chance to make some of that back with an upgrade to capt will be pushed further down the road for many.

I hope we're not sold down the river for some the promise of a small chunk of equity in the new company. It would be nice to hear they've called the whole thing off. The people driving this definitely don't have our best interest in mind.

Last edited:
I don't know how they're going to do it. We are benefiting seniority wise from 2500 guys going early but at the very heavy price of our retirement. The best case I see for us is career stagnation and the worst, I don't want to think about. The chance to make some of that back with an upgrade to capt will be pushed further down the road for many.

I hope we're not sold down the river for some the promise of a small chunk of equity in the new company. It would be nice to hear they've called the whole thing off. The people driving this definitely don't have our best interest in mind.

A best case would be a lot of quick retirements at NWA prompted by losses if they stay past 60. Also parking the DC9 fleet and replacing with even more EMB, A318/9 and 737. Lastly, pay increases/work rule improvements on both sides and equity. Not saying its going to happen but this would be a best case. Worst case, tons of furloughs or being forced from decent equipment/base to MSP on a DC9 where you sit for years in the right seat. That would not be pretty.

NW and DAL pilots should be VERY VERY careful about anything the dictators in management come up with. You can bet they're going to try and give the pilots the "bum's rush" to get a deal done super quick. The manta will be "just sign it and we'll work out any problems later."

DAL and NW pilots have been been bent over the table by these executive pirates. I hope they've had enough of being humiliated and are going to stand their ground.

Seems like a lot to negotiate, especially if being done quickly. If management just rolls over the airline will likely have costs far above its' competition. If the union just rolls over the hegemony will fall apart pretty quick.

It's high stakes fo everyone involved, management, labor and investors. In order for this to work all the stars need to align. In any negotiation there is a sweet spot that is acceptable to all parties. Typically it is arrived at through long and exhaustive negotiations where each side postures to get just a little more leverage a little more from the other other guy. This time, in order for everyone involved to maximize their return on this potential deal, there is no time for all the posturing. The sweet spot needs to be arrived at quickly.

The Delta MEC sure appears to be on the right track, but the work to do a deal this big, this quick, must be immense.

It's a tall order for all involved. It's certainly not a done deal.

Let's face it. We're simply assets, to be brokered, traded, bought, sold, accumulated, divested. They'll (mgt) do whatever is in the best interest of them pocketing the most cash and then retiring to the Carribean or elsewhere.

Last edited:
DrewBlows; said:
You are basically saying Delta pilots would put spite against Comair pilots above what would be best for their careers.

The Spite which was placed on furloughed Delta Pilots has not been forgotten, even by those not affected by it.

You are following a logical fallacy.

William

Edited - Because I can't type coherently. There are still problems with my speling.

Latest resources

Back