• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta, Northwest Focus On Joint Pilot Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So to be clear. The Delta pilots expected the Comair pilots to give something up out of their already humble contract to offset the training costs of putting Delta furloughees in Comair seats plus whatever scheduling burdens may come to the Comair pilot group from 20 - 30 furloughees a month being called back to mainline, which manifests itself as junior manning and extentions.

What seems to go unsaid in the Delta pilot group is that all ALPA furloughees were welcomed at Comair. In fact, I've flown with United and US Airways furloughees who didn't seem to have a hard-on about being here. The only pilot group that suffers from the much ballyhooed righteous indignation are the Delta pilots who seem to have this "birthright" sense of entitlement.

Look, the Delta furloughees could have simply been displaced to Comair and ASA aircraft had the DMEC championed a merged seniority list in 2000. They didn't. We're separate. You got what you wanted.

And before you respond with the old saw about how a merger was impossible, it is the right of union employees to "bargain collectively" under federal law.

So stop the sanctimonious pouting about being treated like everybody else. It just doesn't wash anymore.

WE ARE CRYSTAL.....

In that line of thinking....So you mean to tell me the hundreds of thousands of dollars your pilots incurred against my airline because of your strike is really not your problem?? Sounds pretty stupid huh?? Just like your arguement about the "burden" of junior manning (GASP)....

Nothing had to be given up by taking a furloughed pilot....I guess you must be deeply worried about your attrition rate now at your humble airline, I'm sure you stay awake at night worried who's going to pay for it....

In your typical arrogance, you point out the COST to your group of taking on a new-hire furloughee......It never even crossed the minds of the ASA people....I guess once more 70 seaters came into play, you welcomed everybody with open arms.....Pathetic..'

You're welcome for the strike payout and I hope your strike advanced your deeply humble Pilot contract.

ASA didn't seem to have a problem with it.

ASA management came from Delta management. Additionally, ASA does not have the company policy of dropping your current seniority number when hired.

Which is probably why ASA pilots must be getting hired by the dozen at Delta, while Comair pilots are probably an exception.

If ASA were still a wholly owned, the hiring ratio would be about the same. When a Comair pilot is hired, Delta pays for three training events; when an ASA pilot is hired, they pay for one training event.

Contrary to what the Delta pilots claim, an internal union dispute has no bearing on Delta's hiring practice. Management couldn't care less.

Come to think of it, you shills do management's bidding by continually exacerbating and perpetrating our union's internal conflicts with your pet wedge issues.

Last edited:
So you mean to tell me the hundreds of thousands of dollars your pilots incurred against my airline because of your strike is really not your problem??

Originally posted in December 2006:

Greenslipping is a contractural right...

Yes, we've heard that before. The Delta pilots have every right to exersize their seniority and pick up open time as fast as it is published. Even though that has the affect of keeping furloughed pilots furloughed when the line guys fly all that extra time. So why the bitterness for Comair pilots who wanted a quid from the Delta MEC in the form of Brand Scope to buy a company policy change and allow Delta furloughees to keep their number?

I've been wondering about this for years. Then it hit me.

When the Comair pilots went on strike, it cost Delta, by their own admission, some $680 million dollars. That's $680 million dollars no longer available to say, fund a pension plan or help finance new aircraft for mainline pilots to fly. Many had Delta stock in their 401K and the strike had an adverse impact on its value. So I think it's reasonable to assume the Delta pilots have a deep seated resentment and animosity toward Comair pilots for striking their airline.

They say we are separate airlines but that's not the way it really is, is it?

Everyone knows the "regionals" are supposed to be a stepping stone and not a career. But the Delta pilots wouldn't be able to say what they really felt because the strike was considered throughout the industry, both inside and outside of ALPA, by mainline and "regional" alike, as a success.

As accolades were showered on Comair pilots, mainline pilots gritted their teeth - only three people crossed the line (one ex management, one already retired) and Comair pilots were praised for their unity while the mainliners bit their tongues. Comair pilots got to wear a star on their ALPA wings and while the Delta pilots couldn't, their ears were turning red, as a benchmark symbol of the "pecking order" was stood on its head.

The accrimony grew and they needed a canard so they could dis the Comair pilots under the guise of "union brothers as victims." Enter the furloughees.

So while Delta pilots were picking up open time as fast as they could, they slam Comair pilots about a company policy.

Last edited:
[SIZE=-1]Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...[/SIZE]

Just curious - since Delta owns Comair + DMEC's position is all flying is Delta flying + DMEC was in negotiations with Delta Management (who runs Comair) why didn't the Delta MEC simply negotiate a side letter with Comair's superior changing the policy?

The Delta pilots had a SLOA for bid restricted Second Officers to come fly at ASA (while keeping both seniority numbers) until they met Delta's requirements and could go back to Delta in the right seat. I don't know if anyone did it, but the agreement was there. Although the ASA group welcomed the Delta pilots during the furlough, it was a continuation of a long standing policy - not a change.

The Delta furloghees who came to ASA were really good folks; excellent pilots with good attitudes.

[SIZE=-1]Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...[/SIZE]

No jerk, you're the only one dumber!
Get back to sharpening pencils please, besides its now time to clean the toilets. Move it private!

Get back to sharpening pencils please, besides its now time to clean the toilets. Move it private!

I haven't been in the military in several years.

But thank you for diminishing the sacrifices and contributions of our current military members (especially the junior enlisted ranks).

Perhaps you should move to Berkeley or join Code Pink, you ungrateful degenerate.

Last edited:
Really?

Weren't you suspended the last time for this kind of potty mouth?

Nope, it was for accusing a certain group of pilots of being scabs! There's no potty mouth here junior!
How'd that suit work out for ya sparky? You get all that back money paid to Haber? I hear his house on the hamptons is getting ready to be painted.

Latest resources

Back