Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

race#53

This was on the other forum;
Working the same number of days, the average SWA Captain made a little over $50K more in total compensation than I would have made as an MD-88/90 Captain at Delta.

Or put another way, for the year I worked 24 days MORE than the average SWA Captain, and I made $14,000 LESS.

With all the money they have laying around there is no excuse for the above.

Working the same number of days, the average SWA Captain made a little over $50K more in total compensation than I would have made as an MD-88/90 Captain at Delta.

Or put another way, for the year I worked 24 days MORE than the average SWA Captain, and I made $14,000 LESS.

The SWA pilot typically flies about 30% more hours than the DAL pilot in a year so the greater pay is a no brainer. More days off is just smart.

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/...and CoPilot Average Block Hours per Month.htm

Last edited:
I agree. I think part of the problem might be the Rig, or the lack there of. There are plenty of Delta four days that pay 21. The min for a four day at SW is 26.....and thats the min. Done typically pay 27-28. Raising that would help, at least with need to make up more days of working.

The average SWA pilot flies 10 times more legs per year, and ends up in a dump like LBB and MAF. The DL pilots are in the middle of a 3 year contract that gave a 20% raise, and the company is making quarterly profits in the billions. So, there is a great possibility that DL narrow body pilots will pass the SWA pilots soon. I'm pretty sure most of the Widebody pilots already make more per hour, and with huge retirements coming at DL and not SWA, double pay overtime flying (greenslips) will be raining down.

Throw in the fact that SWA's boss seems to want to get back to the LCC roots too, it may be tough for them to keep making huge gains. I hope they do, but it doesn't sound like the boss will be willing.

First year pay is also higher at DL, and you don't have to pay for a type rating if you were lacking one prior to applying. Next, DL pays more depending on the size plane you fly. SWA will have only 737s eventually, which means no higher pay scales, and complete boredom after about 5 years. Could you fly multiple leg days for 30 years in ONE plane forever? That would be gawd awful. They are now excited to see San Juan! (If they can find it, the AT guys who got demoted to come over (why again???) can show the Cornies...)

I'll take fewer legs per day, the ability to fly to interesting places, and variety in aircraft and trips over a few extra thousands dollars. Hey, I'll make that up with one greenslip to Rio anyway. It's fantastic!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
As an example..

DL 12yr CA on 75/767 - 213/hr X 21hr four day = 4473

SW 12yr CA on 737 - 190/trip X 26trip four day = 4940.

So $500 dollars extra to be gone the same amount of time. There seems to be a Rig issue at DL. The only other thought is that the SW trips are more efficient with less 1.5hr ground sits in the Delta hubs. Either way a better Rig would help.

You would have to look at TAFB to figure out if they were gone for the same amount of time. We have some of those high yield, 26 hour trips...I hate them. Plus they are not commutable.

Red-liar at SWA thinks all DL 757/767 trips are 4 days, worth 21 hours. That is not the case. There are 1 day turns worth 8 hours. There are 12 day trips to Asia worth 76 hours. There is everything in between, with great layovers thrown in too. Red-liar is jealous, and paid for his training due to his airline's lame hiring practices.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

You would have to look at TAFB to figure out if they were gone for the same amount of time. We have some of those high yield, 26 hour trips...I hate them. Plus they are not commutable.

FYI, I won't do a 4 day that pays 26, if its not 30+, I'm not doing it! Yes, the 34 pay ones are ball breakers but the pay is nice. The 26 ones are not worth my time. And BTW, commutable trips on both ends are rare on our end. I may consider a 26 TFP 4 day if it showed late and got done early but I think I've seen one in 7 years.

And before the Village idiot chimes in, I NEVER do more than 4 legs a day and usually it's only 3. The last time I did the 34 TFP it was an AUS-SJC turn for the middle two days plus the two legs out and two legs back to domicile.

Later,
KBB

Last edited:
i have to agree with the General about the spice of life...reminds me of a biplane i sold to a jet pilot. He was just about to land the jet in Chicago when he turns to the FO and says " i cant wait to get back so i can go flying". The FO said "what are we doing now?"

FYI, I won't do a 4 day that pays 26, if its not 30+, I'm not doing it! Yes, the 34 pay ones are ball breakers but the pay is nice. The 26 ones are not worth my time. And BTW, commutable trips on both ends are rare on our end. I may consider a 26 TFP 4 day if it showed late and got done early but I think I've seen one in 7 years.

And before the Village idiot chimes in, I NEVER do more than 4 legs a day and usually it's only 3. The last time I did the 34 TFP it was an AUS-SJC turn for the middle two days plus the two legs out and two legs back to domicile.

Later,
KBB

Your exactly right Bourbn.

The point being that the MIN four day at SW is 26. Apparently at DL they don't have a good Rig.

I don't do 26 trip four days either. I want 28-30+ (which is available), but in the end the Rig of 26 protects you from being out there doing a four day for a pay of 21 like DL.

Again, look at the pay discrepancy on a SW vs DL min four day. Not good. I hope DL can get that Rig back up. I'm wondering if it got sliced and diced during bankruptcy because I don't remember it being that bad before.

Would you rather be efficient and get paid accordingly, or do a couple of turns in the MD-80 with a 2 hour sit in ATL twice, when in the end you are NOT be paid for your time. That's what is really happening here. A good Rig protects against this kind of BS.

Latest resources

Back