• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta MD80 Slides off Taxiway in IND

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, we are approaching the time of the year that we'll see pictures of a NW DC-9 off the runway at some midwestern airport...

No one ever gets hurt...it's just one of those indicators of how you know it's winter time!

That being said... I remember a number of times taxiing very slowly around contaminated taxiways, turning the nosewheel, and the airplane just kept going in the direction it was already going. Definitely causes a bit of a butt-pucker.

Anybody know what the braking reports were in Indy at the time of their landing?

I know in the past when I had landed in icy conditions the rule is to not turn off the center line until you're slowed to a crawl. If you have to pass up a taxiway and take the next one, do it. Even if it means someone behind you going around, too bad.

I landed in IND at about 10:30 pm on Tuesday night, I think we landed on 5R and reported the braking as "poor". They had freezing rain falling all night.

Achieve rank? I spent 7 1/2 yrs in the AF and never once heard that term. I "was promoted" or "reached XXX", or "am an O4". First two promotions are gimmes, and given the selection rate to O4, that one is nearly a gimme as well as long as your nose is clean. I've flown with military guys and civilian guys, and neither is really better with 4000 hrs or better; I've seen bad judgment and skills in the cocky military types and the green civilian types. An instruct/evaluator with 1750 TT is still learning a plane, let alone two of them. If you're really a tanker guy, how did you even hit your flying 'gates' with so few hours and still take a Pentagon job?

I'd agree with everybody else here: knob (and probably a phony). The only thing you appear to do well...[at a loss to finish]...

Achieve rank?

Tanker Clown uses that term when its time for his diaper change!

I spent 7 1/2 yrs in the AF and never once heard that term. I "was promoted" or "reached XXX", or "am an O4". First two promotions are gimmes, and given the selection rate to O4, that one is nearly a gimme as well as long as your nose is clean.
Tanker clown was promoted from toilet scrubber to coffee server.

I've flown with military guys and civilian guys, and neither is really better with 4000 hrs or better; I've seen bad judgment and skills in the cocky military types and the green civilian types. An instruct/evaluator with 1750 TT is still learning a plane, let alone two of them. If you're really a tanker guy, how did you even hit your flying 'gates' with so few hours and still take a Pentagon job?
Tanker Clown's abilities aren't in the cockpit, they're on Flight Sim 2000. He's pretty good. Got that good wrist action from all his "extra carricular" activities and "back door favors."

I'd agree with everybody else here: knob (and probably a phony). The only thing you appear to do well...[at a loss to finish]...
He's also quite good at making himself look like a complete ***********************************!

Who said I was an O-4. I'm past that rank and probably going to go higher before I retire. Your gates don't have a minimum number of hours required to meet the gates. Flying is a piece of cake. At least for me anyway. Maybe it takes you 4000 hours to master your craft. For me it's always been easy.

I guess I should've posted this here. Didn't realize you were this popular with the Delta guys too.

Tanker Clown, How long have you been at Southwest? I just figured out that you are an employee of Southwest Airlines. That's so frickin' hilarious, you've been firing up all these Southwest guys, and you're one of them.

Classic.

Who said I was an O-4. I'm past that rank and probably going to go higher before I retire. Your gates don't have a minimum number of hours required to meet the gates. Flying is a piece of cake. At least for me anyway. Maybe it takes you 4000 hours to master your craft. For me it's always been easy.

My personal experience at three airlines and a check airman on 4 differant types of aircraft, you will not get through training/sim/ioe without extra training. The ex regional pilots were the sharpest then ex airline. Low time Airforce sucked as pilots!

My personal experience at three airlines and a check airman on 4 differant types of aircraft, you will not get through training/sim/ioe without extra training. The ex regional pilots were the sharpest then ex airline. Low time Airforce sucked as pilots!

We'll see. There's no way these training programs are nearly as tough as AF training. From what I've heard, the pass rate is pretty much 100%.

On a somewhat related note, do they have some sort of Distinguished Graduate program for new hire training at Delta? If so, is it like for the very top guy or the top 10% or so of the class?

We'll see. There's no way these training programs are nearly as tough as AF training. From what I've heard, the pass rate is pretty much 100%.

On a somewhat related note, do they have some sort of Distinguished Graduate program for new hire training at Delta? If so, is it like for the very top guy or the top 10% or so of the class?

Where did you go to UPT?

I very seriously doubt that. A military guys is a known quantity with the greatest training in the world. Who knows what I get from a UND grad with a CFII and time in a Saab. Look at guys like me. World wide experience in heavy Boeing equipment.

I'm not worried at all about finding major airline employment post AF retirement. As long as the airlines are hiring, then I will get on.

Yeah, that World-wide experience in a Boeing...Been there, done it. My proficiency isn't near what it was when I was a Saab CA with eight landings a day in ice.

Your'e just a flamer. I wouldn't doubt that you are an AF O-5. You have all the traits of an a**. With your attitude, I would be worried about finding a major airline job.

Latest resources

Back