Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta mainline back to Juneau? Looks like it in late May...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting article. Looks like Big D didn't bother to tell the JNU airport or the FAA that they were going to fly to JNU next spring. With no RNP, I see lots of gate holds in SEA followed by JNU over flights on the way to the ANC alternate. It will work out pretty well as a non-rev express for those who want to go to ANC. The summer tourists will get their vacation screwed up for a day or two (but will be pleased they saved $75 on the cost of their airline ticket). The locals (for the most part) who understand weather and RNP will stick with us. But first, maybe Big D should call someone at the JNU airport and let them know the plan. Maybe an email, a little note... a memo... anything...

http://juneauempire.com/local/2013-12-16/delta-resume-service-juneau#.UrHbF02A272

Are you sure about the locals in JNU? You should read the comments at the end of the article. Looks like they are looking for a change...

http://www.ktoo.org/2013/12/16/delta-challenges-alaska-airlines-on-seattle-juneau-route/

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'm really glad I quit coming on here regularly. Obviously I haven't missed much. I just can't figure out why anyone engages General Lee in any kind of discussion. He or she has got to be the most narcissistic and pathetic person on FI. Nearly every thread has something that this loser feels obligated to chime in on. If this person were actually a Delta pilot (which I am pretty doubtful he actually is) he is a truly sad individual. Obviously he has no wife or kids, or maybe he does. They just want nothing to do with him. How else does he realistically have time to post so much vitriol on nearly every subject on Flightinfo? More than likely this person is a 40 year old wannabe that still lives with his mom. He doesn't actually post anything that can't be found by scouring the internet for news articles and posts by actual aviation professionals on other web boards. Posting on here gets his little cannoli all hard because he is delusional enough to mistake people responding to his posts as some sort of actual human contact, of which he clearly gets none of. It's too bad that FI has become a sounding board for losers like this. The colossal amount of fecal matter that someone has to wade through, just to get a nugget of good info on here, is truly amazing.

As for Delta going to Juneau--so what? They'll figure out that it's no picnic when the weather isn't perfect, which can be any time of year. One of the worst weather days I've experienced in Juneau was this past Summer. Good luck to them.

I'm really glad I quit coming on here regularly. Obviously I haven't missed much. I just can't figure out why anyone engages General Lee in any kind of discussion. He or she has got to be the most narcissistic and pathetic person on FI. Nearly every thread has something that this loser feels obligated to chime in on. If this person were actually a Delta pilot (which I am pretty doubtful he actually is) he is a truly sad individual. Obviously he has no wife or kids, or maybe he does. They just want nothing to do with him. How else does he realistically have time to post so much vitriol on nearly every subject on Flightinfo? More than likely this person is a 40 year old wannabe that still lives with his mom. He doesn't actually post anything that can't be found by scouring the internet for news articles and posts by actual aviation professionals on other web boards. Posting on here gets his little cannoli all hard because he is delusional enough to mistake people responding to his posts as some sort of actual human contact, of which he clearly gets none of. It's too bad that FI has become a sounding board for losers like this. The colossal amount of fecal matter that someone has to wade through, just to get a nugget of good info on here, is truly amazing.

As for Delta going to Juneau--so what? They'll figure out that it's no picnic when the weather isn't perfect, which can be any time of year. One of the worst weather days I've experienced in Juneau was this past Summer. Good luck to them.

Oooooohhhh-Kay...... Wow. Someone doesn't want me to enjoy something. Some people just don't want others to be happy or enjoy anything, maybe because they themselves are miserable. I enjoy this site, and give opinions. If you don't agree, then state why. If you want to ignore me, then use that option. People do get upset when they realize that I actually bring up accurate points, to which they cannot refute. I'm sorry if I upset them, I just like the debate and banter, and don't take it too seriously. Have a great day, and I bet DL is gearing up for JNU right now, and should be ready by next May.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I think DL MIGHT find some TDY types who may want to do it? I don't think it would be tough to find people who might volunteer? Just a guess...

Bye Bye---General Lee

TDY.. For 4 / 5 months of svs. 1 flight a day ? . That's seems kinda pricy .. But hell big D has billions !! ..

TDY.. For 4 / 5 months of svs. 1 flight a day ? . That's seems kinda pricy .. But hell big D has billions !! ..

No, I've seen station managers and Mechanics do this. I guess they could hire some locals to load some bags. Ever been to Hayden (Steamboat Springs, CO) or Vail? Those airports hire temps for their busy seasons, primarily Winter for Ski Resorts. Same could be done for JNU in the Summer. They have until May to figure it out, and I bet it will be A-OK.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Interesting article. Looks like Big D didn't bother to tell the JNU airport or the FAA that they were going to fly to JNU next spring. With no RNP, I see lots of gate holds in SEA followed by JNU over flights on the way to the ANC alternate. It will work out pretty well as a non-rev express for those who want to go to ANC. The summer tourists will get their vacation screwed up for a day or two (but will be pleased they saved $75 on the cost of their airline ticket). The locals (for the most part) who understand weather and RNP will stick with us. But first, maybe Big D should call someone at the JNU airport and let them know the plan. Maybe an email, a little note... a memo... anything...

http://juneauempire.com/local/2013-12-16/delta-resume-service-juneau#.UrHbF02A272
DAL has developed RNP approaches to a number of airports. I have flown them into GEO and Monrovia, Liberia. How did DAL fly into JUN in the late 80's and early to mid 90's without RNP. In a 727 at that.

DAL has developed RNP approaches to a number of airports. I have flown them into GEO and Monrovia, Liberia. How did DAL fly into JUN in the late 80's and early to mid 90's without RNP. In a 727 at that.

The answer is - not well! The 727 and the 737-200 days were old school LDA approaches. Basically to VFR mins. Back then, reliable service in and out of JNU was not good. Those days are gone and the good people of JNU have come to understand what we can do today with the magic of RNP.

I'm sure Delta can develop RNP approaches. I'm sure they can train crews. I'm sure they can spend a lot of money on the problem. I'm not so sure they can get all the pieces in place for reliable service by next spring. And - I'm not so sure they can make any money at it when it's all said and done.

Club 49 will be a big player. Folks will soon realize that they "saved" $75 on their Delta ticket, but then spent $400 on their large checked bags!

It will be a little funny to see the big D ticket counter down at the end of the bush and float plane counters. Go in the front door, take a right, go past the stuffed Grizzly, then past the gift shop, then past the bathrooms, past the float plane / bush plane counters - all the way down at the end. Welcome to Alaska!

The answer is - not well! The 727 and the 737-200 days were old school LDA approaches. Basically to VFR mins. Back then, reliable service in and out of JNU was not good. Those days are gone and the good people of JNU have come to understand what we can do today with the magic of RNP.

I'm sure Delta can develop RNP approaches. I'm sure they can train crews. I'm sure they can spend a lot of money on the problem. I'm not so sure they can get all the pieces in place for reliable service by next spring. And - I'm not so sure they can make any money at it when it's all said and done.

Club 49 will be a big player. Folks will soon realize that they "saved" $75 on their Delta ticket, but then spent $400 on their large checked bags!

It will be a little funny to see the big D ticket counter down at the end of the bush and float plane counters. Go in the front door, take a right, go past the stuffed Grizzly, then past the gift shop, then past the bathrooms, past the float plane / bush plane counters - all the way down at the end. Welcome to Alaska!

Funny to read some of the comments from that article I posted, looks like some people favor an extra player. As far as getting a new ticket counter, the experience will be like your small one just created at SLC. And, I'm sure operations will be exactly the same as the 727 days, right? Nothing has changed since then..... Riiiight. Welcome to Alaska you say? Well, 3 more mainline from SEA to ANC, (besides nonstops to MSP, SLC, DTW, LAX, and ATL) 1 new one from SEA to FAI (besides nonstops from MSP and SLC), and now JNU. Sounds like Alaska is fairly well known to DL. Maybe that will increase too, you never know....

Bye Bye----General Lee

Latest resources

Back