Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta mainline back to Juneau? Looks like it in late May...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting article. Looks like Big D didn't bother to tell the JNU airport or the FAA that they were going to fly to JNU next spring. With no RNP, I see lots of gate holds in SEA followed by JNU over flights on the way to the ANC alternate. It will work out pretty well as a non-rev express for those who want to go to ANC. The summer tourists will get their vacation screwed up for a day or two (but will be pleased they saved $75 on the cost of their airline ticket). The locals (for the most part) who understand weather and RNP will stick with us. But first, maybe Big D should call someone at the JNU airport and let them know the plan. Maybe an email, a little note... a memo... anything...

http://juneauempire.com/local/2013-12-16/delta-resume-service-juneau#.UrHbF02A272

You mean DL can't use the RNP approach plates it already has? Do you OWN the approach in JNU? DL has done RNP approaches in Quito (ILS was taken out by an Iberia A346), and could probably get the FAA people to look at JNU here in ATL in the sims, and have line check guys give qual rides in there. Just a guess...

Btw, it's great the locals will only stay with you.... Everyone else will look at prices. We'll see.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General,
I could be wrong, but I doubt that DL has the same RNP approaches into JNU that we use. Our mins are quite good. Then there is the issue of our JAWS - something that took years to develop and get certified by the FAA for our hill wind limitations. I don't know for sure if that "belongs" to us or if it's public use - but if it is ours, than I doubt we will be sharing. Next comes our T-pros, some of them for conventional nav, some of them for our fancy RNP departures. There are days that the winds are such that you can't use RNP down the channel but there is to much tail wind on 26, so we go to our Fox departure. That has to be trained every year in the sim and I doubt our flight ops is going to give your flight ops a copy of the procedure - so have fun building your own in the next few months - or just park a jet on the ramp for a day or two waiting for the winds to die down.
The point is, JNU is not to be taken lightly if you want to provide reliable service. There is a reason you guys stopped going in there decades ago - it was to complex, threw two many curves into your schedule and I imagine there was difficulty keeping crews current. I doubt it will work out any better for big D this time around.

This brings to mind another subject, SkyWest? They are in bed with AK flying former QX routes and more unsettling, new AK routes. Now they are going to fly competitive routes against AK for DL out of our own hub?? WTFO?!?!

General,
I could be wrong, but I doubt that DL has the same RNP approaches into JNU that we use. Our mins are quite good. Then there is the issue of our JAWS - something that took years to develop and get certified by the FAA for our hill wind limitations. I don't know for sure if that "belongs" to us or if it's public use - but if it is ours, than I doubt we will be sharing. Next comes our T-pros, some of them for conventional nav, some of them for our fancy RNP departures. There are days that the winds are such that you can't use RNP down the channel but there is to much tail wind on 26, so we go to our Fox departure. That has to be trained every year in the sim and I doubt our flight ops is going to give your flight ops a copy of the procedure - so have fun building your own in the next few months - or just park a jet on the ramp for a day or two waiting for the winds to die down.
The point is, JNU is not to be taken lightly if you want to provide reliable service. There is a reason you guys stopped going in there decades ago - it was to complex, threw two many curves into your schedule and I imagine there was difficulty keeping crews current. I doubt it will work out any better for big D this time around.

Thanks for your concern. I would think DL will spend big bucks to make sure the service is reliable, and the training department does a lot of flights in the 737 to "interesting" places, like Quito, Bogota, and Tegucigalpa. Luckily the service will be during the late Spring and into Summer, where the weather will probably be it's best. I'm sure the Big D will make sure it is safe. Thanks!

Bye Bye---General Lee

This brings to mind another subject, SkyWest? They are in bed with AK flying former QX routes and more unsettling, new AK routes. Now they are going to fly competitive routes against AK for DL out of our own hub?? WTFO?!?!

Sounds a lot like an airline who will fly feed for ANYONE, regardless of presupposed "loyalty." Oh wait, are we talking about YOU guys or SKW? Hey, it's just business, right? Thanks for bringing that up. Classic!

Bye Bye---General Lee

JAWS is no longer an in house program. We developed it, but just turned it over to the FAA in the last year or so. The RNP approaches however are still in house.

Sounds a lot like an airline who will fly feed for ANYONE, regardless of presupposed "loyalty." Oh wait, are we talking about YOU guys or SKW? Hey, it's just business, right? Thanks for bringing that up. Classic!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Don't blame me, some of us pushed for scope! And you are correct, nothing personal, just bit-ness!!!!

I'm still wondering who is gonna handle Delta up there ? The floatplane operators ? Wings? Parking ? Deice .. ? Ticket counter space .. I think there is a bench / counter over by Wings ? Near the plaque for the alternates .. Down by the ladies room .. I'm not kidding about the location

I'm still wondering who is gonna handle Delta up there ? The floatplane operators ? Wings? Parking ? Deice .. ? Ticket counter space .. I think there is a bench / counter over by Wings ? Near the plaque for the alternates .. Down by the ladies room .. I'm not kidding about the location

I think DL MIGHT find some TDY types who may want to do it? I don't think it would be tough to find people who might volunteer? Just a guess...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Don't blame me, some of us pushed for scope! And you are correct, nothing personal, just bit-ness!!!!

I don't blame you, I thank you. I would rather have DL doing more West Coast and Alaska flying than giving it to you guys. Internal growth is fantastic. I hear they MAY slow the parking of some older 757s partly because of this. That's good too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back